Proper Procedures For Quitting Cigarettes

Izabella

My dad is addicted to smoking since last 20 years, earlier it didn’t had much effect but now when he is 50+ his cough level has considerably increased. He is also willing to quit smoking, but he always ended up smoking again. Can anyone help me find a proper guide or procedure to quit smoking permanently? Thanks in advance

Stop.

Believe me or not but that is the only way. Just stop !

I have several friends that have succeeded just simply deciding to stop and they all say it's really easy once you have made up your mind. Week or two to detox and then your's fine.

Then again i have several friends who have been in the process of stopping for years using chewing gum and patches etc but not able to do it so you really just need to make up your mind and that's it.

My dad is addicted to smoking since last 20 years, earlier it didn't had much effect but now when he is 50+ his cough level has considerably increased. He is also willing to quit smoking, but he always ended up smoking again. Can anyone help me find a proper guide or procedure to quit smoking permanently? Thanks in advance

The 'cold turkey' method seems to work best for most people. Hypnosis has a good track record if - and this is important - you go for mulitple sessions; a single session of hypnosis is generally a waste of money.

I've had friends who smoke, wear the patch, and chew the gum, all at the same time. I'd hate to see the level of nicotine in their systems!

Please remember that smoking is an addiction, an addiction to nicotine. The physical detox takes only three days; after that it's the psychological addiction, which is much more difficult to overcome than the simple detox portion. We humans tend to build a ritual around our addictions; pipe smokers are great for that! The choosing of a particular tobacco for tonight, which means choosing the appropriate pipe for that, the pinching of just the right amount of tobacco from the humidor, the tamping down in the bowl; then there's the whole ritual of lighting and smoking the stuff. Since I used to smoke in back in the middle ages, my ritual consisted of smacking the top of a new pack onto a table a few times, and then when choosing a cigarette I'd tamp it down on a thumbnail to compact the tobacco better. A small but for me significant ritual.

I remember watching my Dad about 5 years after he quit after 40 years of smoking. After a meal, his right hand would automatically go up to his left breast pocket to get his pack...and he never realized it was happening. But smoking isn't like alcohol, there's no AA to go to, no Antabuse to make you sick if you light a cigarette... by and large it's an individual decision to quit, and to stay quit. But if you start again, it's not a personal failure. It's the level of addiction, probably triggered by some stressor or other, that causes the relapse. Just go back, quit again, go through the 3-day detox, and know that it's easier to quit each time you do it. That's probably not true, but it's a good thing to tell yourself each time you quit ;-)

As I have posted in this forum before the easy way to stop is just to want to stop in the first place. As long as you want to stop then its easy. Trying to get someone else to stop is impossible and you are wasting your time and his. Good luck! :o