Postman Soranat Gets 50 Years Jail

taxexile

Ex-post-officeman gets 50 years

By The Nation

Published on February 28, 2009

The Criminal Court yesterday sentenced a former postoffice official to 50 years in jail for embezzling nearly Bt300,000.

window.google_render_ad();

Komkrit "Soranat" Wongsasing took Bt299,674 from 24 money orders between November 16, 2000 and March 2, 2001 when processing money orders at Dusit Post Office.

Komkrit, 32, has returned the money to Cat Telecom, which organises money orders via post offices.

"I was too young to realise I was doing wrong. I was worried about taking care of my elderly parents," he said.

Because Komkrit pleaded guilty, the court commuted his sentence from 100 years.

He was convicted of abuse of authority and corruption.

Komkrit was arrested on November 18 last year.

WOW... 100 years down to 50, for 300,000 thb.

I wonder what that would equate to for some of the corrupt poloticians who have stolen millions/billions from this country?

Choppychugger

He said to the Judge, "your honour I'm 60 years old now"!

The Judge said "well do as much as you can" :o

That's just plain WRONG! More time then a murderer,for 300,000 baht?? :D Something very odd happening here. :o

Those familiar with Thailand's legal system from police through the public prosecutor to the courts may see something they recognise here. Low level employee is arrested, charged and given a very severe sentence. The high level employee who may have been orchestrating the theft on a much larger scale is left untouched for the time being but the sentencing of the minion is a stiff warning that someone is very unhappy. "Desist or suffer the consequences."

Usually control of some kind of income is at stake. It may not be related to the theft of money orders but it could be something completely different.

That's just plain WRONG! More time then a murderer,for 300,000 baht?? :D Something very odd happening here. :D

Now that you mention this trix....it could be noted that in many countries, for example Australia, it is a Commonwealth Offence to interfer with services such as Mail (Aust Post) & the penalties attached to offence are higher than similar offences under state jurastriction, I wonder if this is the case in Thailand too? :o

That's just plain WRONG! More time then a murderer,for 300,000 baht?? :D Something very odd happening here. :D

Now that you mention this trix....it could be noted that in many countries, for example Australia, it is a Commonwealth Offence to interfer with services such as Mail (Aust Post) & the penalties attached to offence are higher than similar offences under state jurastriction, I wonder if this is the case in Thailand too? :o

The following would suggest it is part of it.

"He was convicted of abuse of authority and corruption"

and what would be the punishment for someone who siege an intentional airport?

.......or purposely driving a Mercedes-Benz into a queue of people waiting for a bus.

.......or, shooting dead in front of witnesses someone who bumped into you in a night club.

.......or, (insert a well known criminal case involving the rich and powerful here).

That's just plain WRONG! More time then a murderer,for 300,000 baht?? :D Something very odd happening here. :o

Those familiar with Thailand's legal system from police through the public prosecutor to the courts may see something they recognise here. Low level employee is arrested, charged and given a very severe sentence. The high level employee who may have been orchestrating the theft on a much larger scale is left untouched for the time being but the sentencing of the minion is a stiff warning that someone is very unhappy. "Desist or suffer the consequences."

Usually control of some kind of income is at stake. It may not be related to the theft of money orders but it could be something completely different.

Likely spot on with this one.

WOW... 100 years down to 50, for 300,000 thb.

No violence, no drugs, no guns, no minors involved...

My guess, he would serve 5-6 years, if that.

But nobody reports when they get released, only when they are sentenced.

The severe sentence was intended to be a deterrent for other postal clerks who might be tempted to do the same thing. Remember the Tollway cashier who stole $3,000 and was sentenced to 45 years in prison??

Most likely, they will be freed via a royal pardon in a few years. You are right there is not publicity (usually) for pardoned criminals.

A female post office employee was sentenced to 800+ years in jail for stealing 3000 ฿+ in the 1980's, she had stolen the money in small sums, but each theft was considered as a separate crime, and received a 5 year sentence.

The 800 year sentence was automatically knocked down to 50 years as that is the maximum sentence allowed by law.

On the very same day the newspaper reported an army lieutenant was sentenced to 5 years in jail for embezzling 1 million ฿, but as this was a single theft he received only a 5 year sentence.

"He was convicted of abuse of authority and corruption"

Qualifications mandatory for anyone aspiring to become a politician.

But he was a commoner, one of those dirty unwashed working class minions. Just who did he think he was?

Hang, draw and quarter the b@st@d I say.

Can't do the time, don't do the crime.

I wonder what he'd got from the western powers if he committed crimes as a citizen there?

One example in Aust.. corporate businessman skims AUD$10M = THB220M gets 6 yrs serves less than 2 in a 4star medium security prison (comes with TV/DVD personal toilet etc) where's the justice here - same same but different :o