9 Million Thais Suffer From Mouth Odour - A Dentist Speaks Out

george

The awful truth about oral hygiene and the ills it treats - a dentist speaks out

BANGKOK: -- As many as 15 per cent of the population or 9 million Thais suffer from mouth odour, according to Rajavithi Hospital dentist Nopmanee Wongkrittikraiwan.

The smell is caused by bacteria inside the mouth depriving it of oxygen and creating sulphur gas. She advised scratching the tongue with a spoon to verify if it was smelly or not.

Nopmanee warned, however, that frequent use of mouth antiseptic over a prolonged period might lead to distorted taste buds. She said the antiseptic normally simply killed off bacteria for a short period of time and while some suffered from actual bad breath, there were also people who thought they had a smelly mouth but in fact did not. Others again, she said, have received dental treatment but persist in believing they have mouth odour.

She advised brushing properly, including the tongue, and the use of dental floss. She said there was no medical proof that any toothpaste could effectively reduce or eliminate bad oral odour.

-- The Nation 2009-03-01

I never noticed smelly mouth as much in Thailand like in NE Asia such as Korea and northern China. Up North, they'll knock you dead with their breath, especially older men. I think this has to do with bad health from being too much of a drunk lacking adequate nutrition for years on end. Many people say it's the diet consisting of garlic and preserved things, but fact is, most people don't have halitosis who eat all those same gross foods. The strong odorous halitosis I'm talking about seems be from either stomach cancer or literally rotting from the inside out from inadequate nutrition. I know this is not simply a dental hygiene problem, it's resulting from a more serious underlying health problem, but halitosis is a widely misunderstood and little talked about.

The awful truth about oral hygiene and the ills it treats - a dentist speaks out

BANGKOK: -- As many as 15 per cent of the population or 9 million Thais suffer from mouth odour, according to Rajavithi Hospital dentist Nopmanee Wongkrittikraiwan.

and how a dentist, from probably some provincial hospital, has the national statistics?

her short, a few sentence advice is sketchy and contradictory and would rather confuse readers than give them something to think about and act.

as spotted - more of a poor quality, covered up free advertising campaing for herself and her hospital, than anything more substantial

Maybe these are the same 9 million who will get the 2000B check? :o

I seem to have beaten the odds so far- out of most of the Thais I have been close enough to experience 'bad breath,' there's only one I remember who had bad breath- and, unsurprisingly, he was a smoker.

dentists are now allowed to practice throughout the region.

dentists lobby getting strong - do expect another world hub.

if the airport, tourism etc don't work, there are money to be made from something else

Although it's just advertising for the hospital and nothing accurate or valid, I'm sure teachers there is some truth in it and it should be a priority for many people. Students commonly smell bad (actually, without intending to be specifically critical- in my experience some Indian students smell more than Thai students) and they complain to each other about it.

Teachers also smell, and there is one teacher I know who gets uncomfortably close to students when talking (it's ugly), and his breath is hideous. Not to mention when the smell mixes with the coffee smell...... :o

Sometimes I smell the breath and I just feel like washing my mouth out and not eating for a week..... f*****g repulsive.

I brush, clean my tongue with a short Thai soup spoon, brush gums, rinse mouth, floss, and mouthwash listerine (Bright and clear!! awesome :D )

I've never ever had a problem............ however, my brother eats terrible food and the great stench comes up from his guts like one of those power blowers.

Although it's just advertising for the hospital and nothing accurate or valid, I'm sure teachers there is some truth in it and it should be a priority for many people. Students commonly smell bad (actually, without intending to be specifically critical- in my experience some Indian students smell more than Thai students) and they complain to each other about it.

Teachers also smell, and there is one teacher I know who gets uncomfortably close to students when talking (it's ugly), and his breath is hideous. Not to mention when the smell mixes with the coffee smell...... :o

Sometimes I smell the breath and I just feel like washing my mouth out and not eating for a week..... f*****g repulsive.

I brush, clean my tongue with a short Thai soup spoon, brush gums, rinse mouth, floss, and mouthwash listerine (Bright and clear!! awesome :D )

I've never ever had a problem............ however, my brother eats terrible food and the great stench comes up from his guts like one of those power blowers.

I think I would rather spend time with your brother.

The smell is caused by bacteria inside the mouth depriving it of oxygen and creating sulphur gas. She advised scratching the tongue with a spoon to verify if it was smelly or not.

Nopmanee warned, however, that frequent use of mouth antiseptic over a prolonged period might lead to distorted taste buds. She said the antiseptic normally simply killed off bacteria for a short period of time and while some suffered from actual bad breath, there were also people who thought they had a smelly mouth but in fact did not. Others again, she said, have received dental treatment but persist in believing they have mouth odour.

She advised brushing properly, including the tongue, and the use of dental floss. She said there was no medical proof that any toothpaste could effectively reduce or eliminate bad oral odour.

-- The Nation 2009-03-01

ive never come across a thai that has bad breathe.

I suspect your a member of the Collective. A True Blue Thai Citizen in Denial.

Look for someone with a bottle of 'Lao Kow' and a great big dirty Rollup that poorly resembles a Cigar. You'll find said mouth Odour as sure as bad eggs are bad eggs. :o

I've never come across anyone that doesn't have a degree of a bad breath, albeit somewhat covered under gum or mouth-wash smell at times.

But then again I'm fairly sensitive to smells overall (or, I just have a very good sense of smell, should the sentence say) and find the same to be true about people from most countries...just different degrees of the poison.

The actual smell, the 'flavour', is also very different between nationalities too. Even if they all might smell 'less than great'.

I've never come across anyone that doesn't have a degree of a bad breath, albeit somewhat covered under gum or mouth-wash smell at times.

But then again I'm fairly sensitive to smells overall (or, I just have a very good sense of smell, should the sentence say) and find the same to be true about people from most countries...just different degrees of the poison.

The actual smell, the 'flavour', is also very different between nationalities too. Even if they all might smell 'less than great'.

I wouldn't trust any dentist who advises that we "scrape" our tongues with spoons. This is very poorly thought out and potentially harmful "advice".

To find if you have mouth odour yourself, simply give the back of one hand a long, big lick with the whole of your tongue, kept 'flat shape'. The sort of lick you might get from a big, friendly dog.

Let your hand dry and then sniff it. You might get a nasty shock and head off for the doctors, or the nearest bottle of Listerine (which I agree is excellent).

Me? Tested myself just now after many years of forgetting the topic, and was saddened to find that my breath smells very slightly of - vinegar. Yeeuch!

PS: Wash hands before and after, a'course.