Comparison Of Pattaya And Sihanoukville.

Good luck with your dream. The only problem is having to wake up. :D

Thailand's annual GDP growth has been dismal in comparison to virtually all of the other countries in Southeast Asia for about 8 years now.

That is a fact...........a "clue." :)

Cambodia's annual GDP growth actually exceeded China's a couple of years ago.

That is a fact...........another "clue." :D

Which one of us is really "clueless?"

But it would be nice to stay on subject: Comparing Pattaya to Sihanoukville.

On a percentage basis yes. Comparing the growth of a 5 year old to an 18 year old, who do you think will grow faster on a % basis ?

Plus as Thailand learned in 1997, fast growth is unsustainable and is a result of too loose of monetary policy and hot money inflows. Slow steady growth is much better.

If Burma, Vietnam or Cambo where such economic powerhouses then Thai people would be trying to sneak across the border into those countries yet Veit Burmese and Cambo's are still trying to sneak into Thailand. Gee, I wonder why ?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully Thai people will not be invading and ruining other countries in the region.

Thailand's steady growth eroded substantially during the period in question.

Growth shifted to other countries, in particular Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and Cambodia.

Cambodia is growing rapidly..........it is not there yet..........fortunately, many powerful people/countries do not agree with your assessment of its potential.

No country experiences high GNP growth simply because it is "emerging." Other factors are at play.

Cambodia has massive potential..............so does Vietnam.

If you can't see that.............you can't see. Lots of corporations can see and totally disagree with you.

Now, what was the topic? Oh, yeah, we are trying to compare Pattaya and Sihanoukville.

Maybe we can stop trolling and focus on the topic.

• 3 months later...

Hopefully Thai people will not be invading and ruining other countries in the region.

Thailand's steady growth eroded substantially during the period in question.

Growth shifted to other countries, in particular Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and Cambodia.

Cambodia is growing rapidly..........it is not there yet..........fortunately, many powerful people/countries do not agree with your assessment of its potential.

No country experiences high GNP growth simply because it is "emerging." Other factors are at play.

Cambodia has massive potential..............so does Vietnam.

If you can't see that.............you can't see. Lots of corporations can see and totally disagree with you.

Now, what was the topic? Oh, yeah, we are trying to compare Pattaya and Sihanoukville.

Maybe we can stop trolling and focus on the topic.

Bottom line.

same water, plenty of beer.

Cambodia- you can have a drink and a joint and no one cares :-)Not as many overweight brits and germans, living somewhere that has NOT yet become popular for the in crowd.

Pattaya- more and better places to live, More reliable interent, more shopping (if need it), 10x more girls, daytime walking street, golf nearby

Although this is all outdated as I have been in Phuket this past year and wonder how things are changing in Snooky,

With the $ heading to 30 Thailand is getting pricy and i know the Riel is tried directly to the $

I have 2 years to go till i return to Cambodia, ( one more year in Phuket than the Napa Valley for a year) and will most likely take up residence in Kep or Kampot. Have some ideas on how to make money and they do NOT need farangs or bars.

Both are laid back places and inexpenisve.

Also keep my ears to Snooky via my friend Rony who has his sailboat there and some of the islands have land for sale (90 year leases).

What with all the troubles here in Thailand with the reds/yellows etc people are heading to Nam and Cambodia for their vactions.

Edited by phuketrichard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Not been to Snooky but there is this lingering vibe that the expats who lives there tend to be 'at the end of the road' so to speak. :o

Failed in Thailand, gone to Cambodia anyone??!! :D

What I have found is quite the opposite , rarely catch sight of an ex Thai bum here , in fact it is quite nice to meet people who are willing and with whom you can carry on ,an intelligiable conversation . The expats give the impression they want to do something worthwhile that will also benifit the locals , do not hear the constant tirade of "What's wrong with this country' , as is often the case in Thailand . No , I personally believe after experiencing both sides of the coin , Thailand is the end of the road for far too many expats , even if they had the desire and the accumen , I doubt they have sufficient funds to achieve anything worthwhile in making a fresh start . :D

I'm have to agree with your assessment of Thailand now for a lot of people who have spent time in Thailand. I have spend over 5 years there and feel it is time for a move, For me the final straws have been the constant attempts to extract money from the Farang, the ever changing visa requirements, dealing with immigration and of course the BIB -

Yeah, great country:

http://www.forbes.co.../1124/022a.html

Kinda like going from the pan to the fire....

It does seem like you would have to be completely nuts to invest in any land or business there.

It seems that it is the people who are investing that are benefiting from the "land grab." It is not uncommon for countries to go through the "land grab" phase that Cambodia is going through. At one point the vast majority of people have no deeds and are "squatters." The government then decides it is time for a change, and these people get pushed off their lands. This happened in the USA and everywhere. In Thailand it happened in Pattaya, for example. People who were squatters were forced off their land to make room for large hotels. It is not unusual. The development potential in Cambodia is huge, especially, IMHO, along the beautiful coastline where two or three Pattaya-like places could be developed. I feel sorry for those who lose their land this way. But it is a difficult and unfortunate reality.

Do enlighten me if I am wrong but I sense from the past year of male interest on this thread in Sihanoukville is mainly to do with the availability of females as opposed to land or restaurant opps. Patters has run its course then... looking for somewhere new to sew your seeds... ?

yep .

i want to silkville 5 years ago ,

everything, a normal man needs is there .

a relaxing place to chill out .

the bad news after a week i was frkng bored ,

so i came back to LOSgs .

:jap:

One thing u need to be aware of and this is based on my quaifiactions for saying this

I have lived in Thailand since 1984,

been back and forth to Cambodia since the late 80's and spent a year there 2008-2009.

You will NOT see at all Large homes built by Farangs in Cambodia anywhere. It is just not yet ready for that.

There are NO housing divisons set up like u have in Pattaya and phuket. Except for the area

around the Northbirdge international school (which is more expensive than any international school in Thailand) where u will find 3 bedroom homes for $2,500-3,00/month!!

I did have a very nice studio apt ON the Tonle Sap in PP on the "other" side of the city with free internet and maid but it was $450/month

YOU will NOT find a really nice house in all of Cambodia that is affordable with all the extras you come to expect here in Thailand.

You will not find decent condos/apts in the whole country for rent ( a few in PP but they are all overpriced for what u get). Most of what u find in PP are dingy only windows at either end for $150-350/month with the bedroom in the middle with no window

You do NOT move to Cambodia for the women

You do move there if u want get back to what Thailand was 30 years ago and feel ur living on the edge but ur really not. PP is a great city to walk around and explore and watch the changes comming.

The people seem more friendly but they are still interested in making their lives better at the expense of the Farangs

It is much easier to hang out and live/work in Cambodia but the quality of life is not the same as Thailand

PS; still talk of opening the airport in Snooky BUT it will not happen till there are over 3,000 2 star and up hotel rooms available

Kep and Kampot are very beautiful but there is very little to do except hang out and no decent

places to rent.

Edited by phuketrichard

My older brother retired to Snooky last year from Ireland, and is happy as a pig in s***. I visited once for 2 days and couldn't wait to leave. I love Pattaya and all it offers. If I were to retire in SEA, Pattaya would be my choice. Different strokes....

Yeah, great country:

It does seem like you would have to be completely nuts to invest in any land or business there.

It seems that it is the people who are investing that are benefiting from the "land grab." It is not uncommon for countries to go through the "land grab" phase that Cambodia is going through. At one point the vast majority of people have no deeds and are "squatters." The government then decides it is time for a change, and these people get pushed off their lands. This happened in the USA and everywhere. In Thailand it happened in Pattaya, for example. People who were squatters were forced off their land to make room for large hotels. It is not unusual. The development potential in Cambodia is huge, especially, IMHO, along the beautiful coastline where two or three Pattaya-like places could be developed. I feel sorry for those who lose their land this way. But it is a difficult and unfortunate reality.

Let me rephrase... you would be nuts to invest in Cambodia if you are not a wealthy Chinese, VN, or whatever, For your average Joe it is risky.

Yeah, great country:

Let me rephrase... you would be nuts to invest in Cambodia if you are not a wealthy Chinese, VN, or whatever, For your average Joe it is risky.

Oh, I get it. If you are not Asian watch out. Certainly Asians seem to take great pleasure in cheating Westerners. It is a national pastime in Thailand. But I think if the investor is really rich, the Cambodian officials will only see money and not ethnicity, but I might be wrong. Also, Asians cheat other Asians. Who is really safe when making a deal here? Safe only comes when the rule of law is firmly in place. Where is the rule of law in Southeast Asia? With the exception of Singapore, the rule of law is hiding beneath a rock somewhere and is refusing to come out :)

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

[

Yeah, great country:

Oh, I get it. If you are not Asian watch out. Certainly Asians seem to take great pleasure in cheating Westerners. It is a national pastime in Thailand. But I think if the investor is really rich, the Cambodian officials will only see money and not ethnicity, but I might be wrong. Also, Asians cheat other Asians. Who is really safe when making a deal here? Safe only comes when the rule of law is firmly in place. Where is the rule of law in Southeast Asia? With the exception of Singapore, the rule of law is hiding beneath a rock somewhere and is refusing to come out :)

Name one wealthy investor in Cambo that isn't Asian. They won't do it because it is too risky.

Name one wealthy investor in Cambo that isn't Asian. They won't do it because it is too risky.

Out of curiosity I did a search. It took me less than one minute to find this (see below in bold). I am sure there are many Westerners with money who have invested in Cambodia.

The 4 Rivers Floating Eco-Lodge is located in Tatai, Koh Kong Province, one of the most beautiful places in Cambodia. According to the western owners, it is the first of its kind in the world, as it features luxury tents on completely floating platforms (not on solid poles).

The resort was opened on 20 November 2009 with 6 tents, together with the main platform featuring the restaurant and the crew area. When entirely up and running (February 2010), the resort will feature 18 luxury tents and more than 3,000sqm of floating surface.

The owners chose to open the resort in Koh Kong Province because of its untouched environment, and also for the opportunity of being one of the first medium-sized tourism sector investments in the area. The $1.5 million investment is entirely western.

Out of curiosity I did a search. It took me less than one minute to find this (see below in bold). I am sure there are many Westerners with money who have invested in Cambodia.

The 4 Rivers Floating Eco-Lodge is located in Tatai, Koh Kong Province, one of the most beautiful places in Cambodia. According to the western owners, it is the first of its kind in the world, as it features luxury tents on completely floating platforms (not on solid poles).

The resort was opened on 20 November 2009 with 6 tents, together with the main platform featuring the restaurant and the crew area. When entirely up and running (February 2010), the resort will feature 18 luxury tents and more than 3,000sqm of floating surface.

The owners chose to open the resort in Koh Kong Province because of its untouched environment, and also for the opportunity of being one of the first medium-sized tourism sector investments in the area. The $1.5 million investment is entirely western.

Luxury tents? When I meant money I meant big money. There are a few small investors in Cambodia to be sure but there will be no Trump (not that I like Trump it is just an example) tower going up anytime soon. $1.5 million is not big money. There simply aren't any huge western corporations in Cambodia that I can think of except for maybe a few banks that have opened branches there. It really took nearly a minute to come up with some Barangs that opened a glorified campground?

Luxury tents? When I meant money I meant big money. There are a few small investors in Cambodia to be sure but there will be no Trump (not that I like Trump it is just an example) tower going up anytime soon. $1.5 million is not big money. There simply aren't any huge western corporations in Cambodia that I can think of except for maybe a few banks that have opened branches there. It really took nearly a minute to come up with some Barangs that opened a glorified campground?

You really should just admit you are wrong. You might also want to take a look at the development (see pics on net). As an aside, some of the most expensive places to stay in Africa are "tents." Cambodia has attracted a huge amount of investment dollars over the past decade, especially from Russians, Japanese, Chinese, and Malaysians. I gave you one good example that you asked for. Now you give me an example of a one-legged Irishman with a three-legged dog named Sally who dances when listening to British pop music who has invested in Cambodia :)

I went to SNKV last year with my ( thai ) wife and kids and we had a great time. I didn't go for the nightlife so I can't comment on that. For sure there is a lot of development to be done with roads and more toilets please but I really liked it there. Hotels are better value than Thailand and just as good and food was cheap and good too. Very nice beaches without the crowds of Thailand. Lot of drugs around but that doesn't bother me as my kids are too young to know about that. Only downside for us was that the Thai food was shit and nothing was spicey.

Definitely not on the map for families as the whole time we were there we did not see any one else with kids. In fact one night a cambodian business owner actually stopped us on the beach to take our photos. I have visions of us being on some billboard somewhere !

Going back for xmas !

Think Pattaya is a shithole anyway and I avoid the place at all costs.

• 2 weeks later...