Nan Immigration Office For Phetchabun Residents

WeeGB

Hi, As we're all in the same boat, so to speak, since the recent immigration office changes, from Bangkok to Nan. I thought it might be a good idea to ask TV members to post on here their experiences of Nan immigration office. For example, what exactly are the requirements at this office for the various types of Visa members have, maybe even a map of how to get there, and err, anything else useful.

Cheers

WeeGB

Hi, There's a chap named "SailorEd", who's posted an account of his experience at Nan, in the "visas" section, sounds horrific. Have asked for more info. Anyone else undergone the "Nan experience" yet?

Yes I have just read his report, worrying!.

Hopefully they are a bit quicker on processing retirement extensions.

What I am thinking is after driving 480 kms and then they turn you down because you have forgotten something!.

In his report he just mentions the photocopying of passport pages. No comments on the financial requirements which in my experience with immigration is the main criteria and though he was doing marriage extension, no mention of photo's of you/wife/house etc & maps.

Well its early days and we will have to wait for more reports on people's experience with Nan.

phutoie2 wrote :

"What I am thinking is after driving 480 kms and then they turn you down because you have forgotten something!."

My thoughts exactly!!

Let's hope we can all help each other out on this one, as for me, I intend to take copies of everything I can think of, particularly after reading SailorEds post in the visas section. :o

Cheers

WeeGB

phutoie2 wrote :

"What I am thinking is after driving 480 kms and then they turn you down because you have forgotten something!."

My thoughts exactly!!

Let's hope we can all help each other out on this one, as for me, I intend to take copies of everything I can think of, particularly after reading SailorEds post in the visas section. :o

Cheers

WeeGB

Should be easy enough for retirement extension as long as you have the embassy letter and/or the bank letter for the financial requirement

Make sure by phone(0-5475-0039) if they still require the medical certificate (they did even after it was not necessary any more in Bangkok but this dates from 2 years ago as I have been going to my new office in Isaan lately)

Take plenty of copies of all docs and ID pictures and you'll be fine

They served us ice cold water while we waited.....

Hi Krub, I got my first retirement visa at BKK last year, nothing was mentioned about a medical certificate, can you supply any details?

Would I get one from a doctor, or hospital, and what is involved?

I'll phone Nan tomorrow to see what the score is, and post on here the reply I get.

Thanks

WeeGB

Hi Krub, I got my first retirement visa at BKK last year, nothing was mentioned about a medical certificate, can you supply any details?

Would I get one from a doctor, or hospital, and what is involved?

I'll phone Nan tomorrow to see what the score is, and post on here the reply I get.

Thanks

WeeGB

The medical certificate HAD been a requirement everywhere until about 2 or 3 years ago for retirement extensions.

Nan continued to ask for it even after it was not required any more elsewhere

PM me if you want the form that was used then.

I got mine signed very easily from a local small clinic for 50 baht (without any checks)

Last year when I enquired at Phu Sing immigration in Isaan, they also still required it that is why up to last year I have used Kap Cheong instead but from this year will have to use Phu Sing as per the new rules.

Back yesterday from Nan - ext to Visa for teaching purposes.

Copies of all used pages of p'port.

TL - yes they do want this.

Certs of Education etc.

Work Permit and Renewal Application reciept.

No doctor letter.

One pic.

1,900 baht and 30 minutes u r on your way

Edited by Nabeel1961

Back yesterday from Nan - ext to Visa for teaching purposes.

Copies of all used pages of p'port.

TL - yes they do want this.

Certs of Education etc.

Work Permit and Renewal Application reciept.

No doctor letter.

One pic.

1,900 baht and 30 minutes u r on your way

Hi Nabeel, it's one a.m. and my head's not working very well, what's a TL?

Ah, that's why I couldn't work it out! ( Suspect combination of being tired and err, old age - but don't tell the wife :o ).

Thanks for bothering to reply, hopefully will be useful info for others.

• 1 month later...

I just got word that they changed their address to:

NAN IMMIGRATION OFFICE

117 Moo Tee 4

Tambon Chaiyasatarn. Amphur Muang

Nan, Thailand

For any information you might need try to send them an email.

[email protected]

Hope this works out for all of us. I have my 90 day check in due on the 29th of May so I will let you guys know how it pans out. I'm also in Phetchabun.

I am due to go to Nan very soon, as retirement extension runs out - May 26th.

Just have to get my bank letter sorted and bank book updated, plus will go to the poly clinic and get a health certificate, 30 Baht.

Never had to produce one at Suan Plu but have read on another thread that Nan insist on one.

Will also inquire about re-entry permit and 90 day reporting.

Two ex-pats residents in this town have just had their 90 day reports approved from Suan Plu (Bangkok) but have a note saying that from now on its the Nan immigration for Petchabun 'aliens'.

I am planning a 2 day expedition for this as it is some 475 km's from Phu Toei.

aitch52- its Bang Fi here in PT on the 16/17 May, a good weekend, ask your other half if you do not know what its all about. One of the few towns in Petchabun to hold an annual one.

Lots of Thai's from North East provinces settled in south Petchabun many years back and brought the custom with them.

Hi All

I did my 90 day check in at Jomtien Immigration near Pattaya late last month as we were there and didn't fancy a hike to Tha-li, no bother at all. I also had a chat with the British Consul who informed me that as I had done my Retirement Extension there I would probably be able to renew there too, I have until August to think about that. One question, is a current letter from the embassy required every year or will the previous years letter suffice, (no such thing as a stupid question), just trying to reduce the beaurocracy and save a couple a thousand. Thanks for the heads up on Bang Fi Billy we will try and make it down, it's up on the whiteboard. Asked the No 1 about it and no clue, maybe my bad pronunciation, how was the wedding? Will PM you about golf.

Cheers

Edited by aitch52

• 2 months later...

Some good new for you folks! An insider had told me that Phetchabun will be opening a new immigration in either Phetchabun or in Phitsanuloke. It will be at one or the other. My guess is it will be in Phitsanoloke because of the airprt and easy access, but then again... Muang Phetchabun has many more farangs living there than Phitsanuloke. It is rumored that it will be opening in August. So that's great news. I'd rather do my paperwork here in Phetchabun or even drive 2 hours to Phitsanuloke, rather than drive all the way to NAN.

i was in nan twice last month to get my non-immigrant 1y visa. great office, vn people. easy to find, turn left to Payao, and its right there on the other side of the road after 500m. they said the new office will be in pitsanulok, but they are not sure when.

Thanks for all the info and directions, heading up to Nan tomorrow, will keep you posted on the experience, I think I would be sooner facing Flintoff and Anderson than doing this but needs must haha

Thanks for all the info and directions, heading up to Nan tomorrow, will keep you posted on the experience, I think I would be sooner facing Flintoff and Anderson than doing this but needs must haha

Like you, I've just done the "Nan run" from Phetchabun and apart from the 400km journey through Phitsanulok, Utteradit (where the whole stretch of road was under repair :) ), Phrae and into Nan, the experience was a joy... I came away with an extension to my Non-Imm "O" visa and a multiple "re-entry" permit for the same duration. My work permit was also noted and the staff were delightful and quick. They relieved me of 5,700 ThB in the process made up of the 1,900 renewal and 3,800 for the multiple re-entry but at least they did it with a smile. Additionally, all I need to do now is SEND proof of residency every 90 days along with copies of relevant Passport pages so - no more trips to Nan for a while... :D

If it helps, the Nan Immigration Office can be found by travelling north into Nan on Route 101 until you reach the traffic lights towards the centre of the town. There a very ornate, gold-leaved Wat (Wat See Pan Ton) on the far, left-hand corner of the lights where you make a left and go straight until the road goes into a dual carriageway. The NIO is actually on your right at this point so you have to do a U-turn and double back. Unhelpfully, the sign for the office is only visible when you're on the correct side of the carriageway.

Good luck to future visitors

Hi Martin!!

I had much the same experience as you, the staff were very helpful and absolutely charming once the initial confusion over why we were there died down. I was changing my Non Imm "O" extension from retirement to marriage, I had all the required documentation copies bundled and stapled together in duplicate, the originals of cerificates, embassy letters etc were in a presentation folder.

To explain the confusion, I had downloaded the TM8 and filled in the relevant boxes in duplicate, printed it out and signed it. It seems this is unacceptable, I then had to fill out the forms by hand on a comfortable settee in the front office, no problem. At the same time the very helpful suoervisor of the front desk came and started chatting to us, he also looked at all the documentation required that I had brought and removed the staples and put it in the order that they prefer. They like the passport copies at the front of the rainforest, not at the back as I had done, then in my case embassy letter of proof of income, Tabien Bahn, wifes ID card, passport copy, copy of marriage certificate and register office document.

We went back into the Immigration section and were questioned as to why I wanted to change my visa extension, I said that retirement didn't suit me and wanted to return to work, to which they replied you can on retirement, when I pointed out that it was illegal, they asked me where I got my information. I explained that it is on the Thai Immigration website and cited the case of the teacher recently arrested for working on a retirement extension. They then questioned myself and my wife further and prepared some more paperwork for us to sign.

By this time it was lunchtime so we went for a meal as the office was closed, returned an hour later and were ushered to see the Officer in Charge, he explained the the application would be under 30 days consideration and I have to go back on 18th August. There will also be a home visit from them and 2 of my wifes family will be requested to sign further forms. He indicated to my wife that there should be no problem and is just a formality, not a guarantee I agree but I have always been quite taken with Laos or Vietnam should it all go pearshaped here.

I also had a doctors certificate which I didn't show them, in reserve, as they didn't ask for it, I didn't show it, but as it is only 50 Baht I would recommend anyone making the long hike to have one, but I shouldn't imagine that it would be too difficult to obtain in Nan in any case.

We arrived at quarter to eleven and left for home at quarter to 3, bearing in mind the unusual circumstances, I didn't think it was too bad and we were treated politely and with consideration throughout. I also did my 90 day report at the same time which probably added an extra 30 mins, yes it is required even though you have renewed and didn't cost anything. So I now have an under consideration extension stamp which allows me another 30 days in LOS until I make the hike back to Nan, Martins comments on the road is very relevant, I also hit a fair amount of traffic, police checks and an Artic which had nosedived into a concrete culvert being recovered with attendant 30 ton crane, police vehicles, ambulance and many spectators. How the driver had managed to achieve such a spectacular event is beyond me but I very much doubt if the poor devil survived to tell the tale, I guess he fell asleep. We also came across broken down coaches and lumber wagons half blocking the carriageway, there are many 80- 120 degree bends in the foothills so be careful out there guys.

TBC

Chok Dee

Chris Aitch

Hi - regarding the medical certificate, I was told by Nan in May, that I would need to show it every year, but I'm on a retirement visa - maybe they don't ask for it for a marriage visa.

Personally, as it's such a long trek for most of us, I'd advise getting a medical certificate before you go, it's relatively cheap, and may save a lot of time and trouble when you get to the Nan office.

I agree with other posters on here, the Nan immigration officials are very helpful, efficient, and easy to deal with, just a shame it's so far away.

It may be useful to other members to keep enquiring about when the new office opens in Phetchabun (my preference - fingers crossed :) ), or Phitsanulok.

• 1 month later...
The medical certificate HAD been a requirement everywhere until about 2 or 3 years ago for retirement extensions.

I never had to get a medical certificate for BKK, C'mai or Dan Singkorn .. although I did have to argue the point at D. S. a few years ago. To his credit, the officer scoured a few manuals and turns out that I was grandfathered and didn't need one. My visa was '96, first extension in '97.

You will need a new embassy letter every year and you can only apply at the immigraiton office of the area where you live. (New rules as of feb. 2009).

For an extension? I did mine in June (Dan Singkorn) and only needed my bank book copies and bank letter.

You will need a new embassy letter every year and you can only apply at the immigraiton office of the area where you live. (New rules as of feb. 2009).

For an extension? I did mine in June (Dan Singkorn) and only needed my bank book copies and bank letter.

You only need the embassy letter if you do not keep the 800k in the Thai Bank.

My neigbour gets his letter every year from the British Consulate based on 3 UK Pensions, which easily meets the 65k per month requirement. His choice as he says, he is not keen on keeping "dead money" locked away.

• 4 months later...

I went to Nan to renew my visa, non-imm O last April.

We went by bus from Uttaradit and stayed for three nights.

I had previously always gone to Pattaya/Jomtien to do this and so I took all the paper work normally required there.

However, I was switching from a retirement visa to a married visa to free up 400,000 Baht.

We stayed in the DV Hotel, as the locals call it, and they layed on their taxi to take us the couple of kilometres to the immigration office at 9AM. He said he'd wait for us as he had no bookings. We thought it would take an hour or so.

Anyway, they took my documents for a pre-sorting and found that I was short of a few phocopies, 22 in all.

OK, that could be done upstairs at 2 Baht each.

Three hours later, they asked for my medical certificate and said they were going for lunch.

OK, I thought. No one knew where to get a certificate, but our driver reckoned the hospital. There must have been 100 people in front of us, so we went back to the hotel for a beer and a think.

The driver asked around and we walked to the doctor's surgery while the driver had his lunch.

[it is, left out of the DV Hotel to the first main road crossing; turn left; walk to the next main road crossing and go straight over. It is a little way up on the left. 10-15 mins walk in all].

There were at least 20 locals in front of us. Everybody smiled and I sat down. When the next patient was called, I was shown in. I must admit that I felt bad about queue-jumping, but I had not asked for it. The doctor spoke English fluently and I told him what I needed. He pulled out a form and began ticking boxes. He asked me one question: 'Are you feeling all right?' and that was that: 3 mins and 30 Baht.

We went back to the hotel and the taxi took us back to the immigation office.

We had to wait in turn again

We we went inside, I was asked for my 'Wedding Album'.

I did not have a clue what he was talking about, he gave me a 30 day extension and told me I had to see his boss.

My wife and I went in and my wife was told that she had been harbouring me illegally for five years because she had not informed the police that she had a foreigner in her house.

Fine should be 3,000 Baht.

My wife was visibly shaking with fear.

Anyway, that subject seemed to pass over and he said that he would have to visit our home and neighbours to check if we were happily married.

I said we have certificates from Pattaya.

He said you can buy them in a bar.

I said phone them up and check the numbers.

He said they did not do it that way.

He said his time is very valuable, but that he could come and check on us for 3,500 Baht.

I paid thinking that was the end of it.

We left at 5PM.

However, three weeks later, there he was on my doorstep with an assistant, a laptop, a printer and a camera.

He chose two of our neighbours at random and they gave depositions about us and signed them.

I didn't catch all the questions, but I know he asked whether we were happily married, whether I drank too much Lao (I don't, I prefer beer) and whether I fought with the local Thais.

Then he looked around the house and took three photos, one of us sitting on the couch, one sitting on the bed and one standing in the front doorway.

Then his assistant took one of us with him (as proof that he'd been there, I guess).

We went back when my 30 days were up and I got my visa after 30 minutes or so.

I have done the intervening three 90's by post. Registered post.

The first two were OK, this last one 'has not been received'.

I have the Post Office ticket but I don't know what will happen yet.

All in all, I thought that the Nan immigration were pretty good. Certainly very polite.

They kept apologising for their lack of experience.

They had only been at it for two months and they were constantly refering to their manuals.

That did not bother me too much.

The wedding album did though, but I have since met a man who was sent back to Phitsanulok from Bangkok to make one and then sent back twice more because it wasn't good enough. So, at least that is 'done for life', or so I was assured.

I'm back up there in April and I'm looking forward to it. The people are friendly and the city is old and beautiful. There is nothing to do after about eight o'clock outside the hotel though.

No bars and only one good restaurant - The Isaan Garden near the DV and is used lunch time by the local police, bank managers and govt officials.

The museum, by the hotel is well worth a visit even if it is 20B for Thais and 100B for foreigners.

Owen.

I went a month after you last year to the Nan Immigration office. It is important to get the teminology correct when dealing with the Immigration Police.

You were not renewing a non-O visa, you were applying for an extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom, it states that at the top of the TM7 form, and further down on the form you fill in the reason for extension.

There was a lot of info on TV about the Nan office, they require 2 photocopies of every form and all pages in passport + a medical certificate for the retirement extension and bank letters/updated bank books etc.

Admittedly I was the only foreigner in the office for my renewal but I got my retirement extension, single re-entry permit and residence certificate all done within 45 minutes.

The Nan immigration task force visited a friend of mine in central Petchabun to check on his marriage situation and he had to stump up 7000 Baht - "expenses"

The wife and I stayed overnight in the same hotel, ok but dodgy breakfast next day!!

Hope you have a better experience next year!.