Brit Faces Two Years In Thai Jail For Being 'rude'.

Chopper

A BRITISH man is facing a two-year sentence in a hellish Thai prison for being ‘rude’ to an official.

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London, was ending a holiday with a friend when Thai authorities in Phuket airport detained him on January 31, preventing him from returning to the UK.

Immigration officials suspected Burrowes’ passport was a forgery. Speaking to The Voice via phone from Thailand, Burrowes said: “A woman at immigration was looking at my passport and then handed it to the man behind her. I was ushered to sit down whilst he took out a magnifying glass and proceeded to check my passport for half an hour,” he explained.

He was told that he was not getting on the plane and was taken to a detention centre, whilst his friend Matthew was able to fly back to the UK. Burrowes said: “I’m a black man so I’m used to getting hassle at airports, but I was shocked by this.” For three weeks, the 44-year old was held with 126 men in a cramped prison cell.

“Thai prisons are notorious for being some of the worst. There is no privacy. You go to the toilet in the open and there is no toilet paper. There were guys in there that had scabies and were next to me,” said Burrowes.

He contacted the British Consulate, who confirmed his passport was genuine. However, the disgruntled Brit claims that the Consulate should have done more, saying that they took long to react to his case.

“I was disgusted and beside myself. People talk of them [the British Consulate] like they are the cavalry. If you have issues abroad they come charging to help. But they didn’t really help me,” he fumed. Burrowes was later charged with ‘rude and aggressive behaviour’ towards an immigration officer, a claim he denies, and was released on £2,000 bail. He must remain in Thailand until his trial begins on April 26, and his lawyer has warned he could face a two-year jail sentence.

“I have to find some way to sustain myself financially while I am here. I went to Thailand to enjoy the land, learn the culture and spend some money. It’s turned into a nightmare,” he said. Burrowes is hoping that he will soon be able to fly back to the UK.

“If they find me guilty, who knows what will happen. I met people in prison who are doing five years for having two spliffs on them. It’s very difficult to hold yourself up in a Thai prison. I feel very bitter about what has happened,” he said. A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London told The Voice they are

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's this kind of victimisation and trumped up charges that stopped me from ever going to the countries like Dubai.

Every time you mentioned Dubai,what you have against Dubai.I haave ben there many times nver had a problem.Maybe it depends on the passport.

A BRITISH man is facing a two-year sentence in a hellish Thai prison for being 'rude' to an official.

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London, was ending a holiday with a friend when Thai authorities in Phuket airport detained him on January 31, preventing him from returning to the UK.

Immigration officials suspected Burrowes' passport was a forgery. Speaking to The Voice via phone from Thailand, Burrowes said: "A woman at immigration was looking at my passport and then handed it to the man behind her. I was ushered to sit down whilst he took out a magnifying glass and proceeded to check my passport for half an hour," he explained.

He was told that he was not getting on the plane and was taken to a detention centre, whilst his friend Matthew was able to fly back to the UK. Burrowes said: "I'm a black man so I'm used to getting hassle at airports, but I was shocked by this." For three weeks, the 44-year old was held with 126 men in a cramped prison cell.

"Thai prisons are notorious for being some of the worst. There is no privacy. You go to the toilet in the open and there is no toilet paper. There were guys in there that had scabies and were next to me," said Burrowes.

He contacted the British Consulate, who confirmed his passport was genuine. However, the disgruntled Brit claims that the Consulate should have done more, saying that they took long to react to his case.

"I was disgusted and beside myself. People talk of them [the British Consulate] like they are the cavalry. If you have issues abroad they come charging to help. But they didn't really help me," he fumed. Burrowes was later charged with 'rude and aggressive behaviour' towards an immigration officer, a claim he denies, and was released on £2,000 bail. He must remain in Thailand until his trial begins on April 26, and his lawyer has warned he could face a two-year jail sentence.

"I have to find some way to sustain myself financially while I am here. I went to Thailand to enjoy the land, learn the culture and spend some money. It's turned into a nightmare," he said. Burrowes is hoping that he will soon be able to fly back to the UK.

"If they find me guilty, who knows what will happen. I met people in prison who are doing five years for having two spliffs on them. It's very difficult to hold yourself up in a Thai prison. I feel very bitter about what has happened," he said. A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London told The Voice they are

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

It would appear that he swore at the immigration official, criticised Thailand & snatched his passport back, so on that basis he got what he deserved & if he does receive a prison sentence, he has only himself to blame - end of discussion. I'd just add that I've no sympathy for him whatsoever.

I find this very hard to believe even here in Thailand . . . There is something not quite right here . . . There is far more to this story....

I am not sure, but it could be true. Maybe the imigration officer wants to make a example out of him, do we know "what" rank was the imigration officer that he "got rude with"?

Maybe is racist, we all know how Thais can be racist. Maybe is the "How dare does this Farang try to make me lose face etc etc etc"... crap that some Thai's with some bit of power (and ofcourse on a power trip) can/will come up with.

I have a similar situation with a police officer over a rutine police check. I got every angry, he got very angry, he threaten me with Jail and I said "lets go then"...at the end he just let me go, but maybe it would of been different if it was a higher ranking officer? Like maybe a high ranking imigration officer?

I find this very hard to believe even here in Thailand . . . There is something not quite right here . . . There is far more to this story....

does seem a bit strange....

as from what is made out, he has done nothing wrong?? ...... and the UK Consul in Phuket would have helped him out straight away..

I had a problem with a guy in Phuket immigration before.

My passport was ok, I was holding my son and they said they had a problem with the passport. I am standing there trying to hold on and ask whats the problem. I was told that it was non of my business. I said its taking along time. Guy shouts to get out the line and wait for as long as it takes because I was being very rude!!

He came back 10 mins later saying everything was ok and we both said sorry (although I was not).....

Looks like I was lucky not to be banged up!

It would appear that he swore at the immigration official, criticised Thailand & snatched his passport back, so on that basis he got what he deserved & if he does receive a prison sentence, he has only himself to blame - end of discussion. I'd just add that I've no sympathy for him whatsoever.

If the facts are as stated above, then they should have just kicked him out and blacklisted him for a few years. But throwing him in the jug for a couple of years seems a bit harsh.

TheWalkingMan

Thailand is beginning to look more like a destination where you are at the whim and mercy of disgruntled govt. officials with a chip on their shoulder.

He may not be the type of 5 star visitor they would wish to attract, but then large parts of Phuket are not exactly at 5 star destination standards.

However when flying out; is it not the ground staff of the airline you fly with who checks passports, rather than immigration officials who check when you come in?

Are we to presume that insulting Thailand is now a punishable offense?

It's this kind of victimisation and trumped up charges that stopped me from ever going to the countries like Dubai.

Every time you mentioned Dubai,what you have against Dubai.I haave ben there many times nver had a problem.Maybe it depends on the passport.

Because Dubai is evil, and they routinely detain and put people in jail for the stupidest of things, a few good examples would be the UN official who was arrested for having poppy seeds which he had the paper work to be transporting from Afganistan (part of a UN mandate to stop the drug trafficking in that area). He was given 4 years even after the UN cleared it up, or the UK teen who last year was blood tested and found to have trace amounts of drugs in his system and he was also given 4 years. Maybe because Dubai also like to put people in prison for prescription medicines which their laws happen to be slightly different about, and by the way everyone gets 4 years... every time. Dubai sucks.

http://boycottdubai.com/index_new_E.php

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/mi...nce-779910.html

A BRITISH man is facing a two-year sentence in a hellish Thai prison for being 'rude' to an official.

Immigration officials suspected Burrowes' passport was a forgery. Speaking to The Voice via phone from Thailand, Burrowes said: "A woman at immigration was looking at my passport and then handed it to the man behind her. I was ushered to sit down whilst he took out a magnifying glass and proceeded to check my passport for half an hour," he explained.

He was told that he was not getting on the plane and was taken to a detention centre, whilst his friend Matthew was able to fly back to the UK. Burrowes said: "I'm a black man so I'm used to getting hassle at airports, but I was shocked by this." For three weeks, the 44-year old was held with 126 men in a cramped prison cell.

"Thai prisons are notorious for being some of the worst. There is no privacy. You go to the toilet in the open and there is no toilet paper. There were guys in there that had scabies and were next to me," said Burrowes.

"I was disgusted and beside myself. People talk of them [the British Consulate] like they are the cavalry. If you have issues abroad they come charging to help. But they didn't really help me," he fumed. Burrowes was later charged with 'rude and aggressive behaviour' towards an immigration officer, a claim he denies, and was released on £2,000 bail. He must remain in Thailand until his trial begins on April 26, and his lawyer has warned he could face a two-year jail sentence.

"I have to find some way to sustain myself financially while I am here. I went to Thailand to enjoy the land, learn the culture and spend some money. It's turned into a nightmare," he said. Burrowes is hoping that he will soon be able to fly back to the UK.

"If they find me guilty, who knows what will happen. I met people in prison who are doing five years for having two spliffs on them. It's very difficult to hold yourself up in a Thai prison. I feel very bitter about what has happened," he said. A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London told The Voice they are

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

For starters thats not a reason to subject any human being to a Thai prison. It sounds more like they are trying to save face by making up some lame charges. Isn't overpopulation bad enough from Thai subjects that they don't need to be taking in foreigners too.

I don't care how he acted, its only words and a bit of snatching at the worst of it, he has been in a Thai cell while on his way home and after the passport was confirmed he should have been real released immediately. How is this even debatable, its stupid they want the expense even if he was just a bit rude, ban him from the country if he really hurt someones feeling and the government actually cares.

Edited by aussiejosh

There has to be more to it than he is telling (of course, because it is his side we are hearing, with just some comments from immigration).

What I find strange is that the report states that his passport photograph showed him WITHOUT A SHIRT. ....cant imagine the passport office accepting that photograph.

excerpts from other thread:

Briton 'Jailed on Phuket for Being Rude'

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Updating Phuketwan Report

A BRITISH publication claims a tourist is facing a two-year sentence in a ''hellish Thai prison'' on Phuket for ''being rude'' to an Immigration official.

The allegations highlight cultural differences, the issue of overcrowding and security in Phuket Jail, and a rising incidence of crime on the island.

An Immigration official confirmed the man's arrest and said the man swore at an official, criticised Thailand, and had an inappropriate photograph in his passport.

'Phuket doesn't need bad tourists like this,'' the Director General of Immigration at the Phuket International Airport, Suksopon Maneeson, told Phuketwan today.

The Director General of Immigration at the Phuket International Airport, Suksopon Maneeson, said he had a voice tape recording the incident.

The man's passport carried a photograph in which he was not wearing clothes, which led the official to wonder whether it was a genuine passport, Khun Suksopon said.

He also looked younger in the photograph.

''When compared with other passports, even from Cambodia or Laos, they have standards,'' Khun Suksopon said. ''Britain is a developed country.''

When the official started to ask questions, Burrowes became angry, Khun Suksopon said, and snatched back his passport. Burrowes then said ''F*** You'' and criticised Thailand in an offensive way, Khun Suksopon added.

''If you go to England and behave the way this man did, what would happen?'' Khun Suksopon asked.

''I love Thailand. I do not want people coming here and looking down on Thailand or speaking badly about Thailand and to Thai people.''

British Honorary Consulate Martin Carpenter told Phuketwan: ''At the end of the day, we've done everything we can possibly do for him.

''The last time I spoke to Mr Burrowes, he said: 'Thank you for everything you have done for me.'''

The General Director of Phuket Jail, Paisal Suwanraksa, confirmed that Mr Burrowes had been held at the jail.

He said: ''Phuket Jail has adequate room for 700 people but right now, we have more than 1000 inmates. It is true that conditions are not ideal.''

Last week, a senior official from Bangkok visited the jail and told Khun Paisal he was concerned about the pressure on existing facilities.

Some prisoners may have to be transferred to other jails in Songkla or Nakornsritammarat.

At present, 46 percent of the prisoners on Phuket are in jail for drug-related offences.

Khun Paisan said a new jail would cost 400 million baht, but there is no evidence that underfunded Phuket has that kind of money to spend.

He said the Governor, Dr Preecha Ruangjan, had visited the jail and was concerned about conditions there.

Jail officers turned down a formal request from Phuketwan today to tour the jail to see what conditions are like. We were told there were concerns, with so many prisoners in the jail, for our safety.

Phuketwan is renewing a request for access via the Justice Department in Bangkok.

Five prisoners still being held in the jail are British, jail officials told Phuketwan. About 20 inmates are from Western countries.

Phuketwan is checking the other allegations and will be updating this report as soon as our reporters have more details.

I think he deserves to be locked up,

Then at some point for something you have done you also deserve to be locked up, because this seems to be way out of proportion comparable to jail time.

So what if he was rude, or snatchy, or even if he insulted Thailand, he was leaving and he was right by the looks of it.

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London

Burrowes said: “I’m a black man

The same black Simon Burrowes from London? :o

International Karate and Kickboxing Academy, London

Simon Burrowes - Instructor

Simon has over 15 years Martial Arts and Amateur Boxing Experience in the UK.

He is a Black Belt 2nd Dan ECKA Karate and kickboxing Instructor.

National Sami contact champion , Bronze Medallist in 2007 WPKA world kickboxing championship in Greece.

Thailand is beginning to look more like a destination where you are at the whim and mercy of disgruntled govt. officials with a chip on their shoulder.

He may not be the type of 5 star visitor they would wish to attract, but then large parts of Phuket are not exactly at 5 star destination standards.

However when flying out; is it not the ground staff of the airline you fly with who checks passports, rather than immigration officials who check when you come in?

Are we to presume that insulting Thailand is now a punishable offense?

Immigration stamp your passport on entry and also stamp your passport when you leave the country.

:o:D:D

I don't think that there is any doubt that the man was rude and swore at immigration officials.

My guess is, that had he kept calm while they scrutinised his passport he might have been allowed to board his plane and not jailed.

This is a warning to everyone who reads this story, that in Thailand you are at the mercy of higher powers so must never resort to rudeness and swearing at Thai officials.

Did he deserve jail for 3 weeks? Yes, I bet it taught him a lesson he'll never forget.

Does he deserve 2 years jail for rudeness? No, send him home and bar him from Thailand.

Do the British Embassy staff ever help? Rarely and only if you are an OE or a peer of the realm.

I can't help but feel that those of you ridiculous enough to say he deserves to be jailed for 2 years are absolutely racist and a step away from joining the KKK. Excuse me but YOU wouldn't be upset to be forced to MISS YOUR PLANE for absolutely no reason? All you need to do is raise your voice a bit in this country and YOU BAD MAN! Since when is being jusitifiably upset a JAILABLE offence in any country?! Some of you are so blatantly racist or just plain stupid it's sad.

I can't help but feel that those of you ridiculous enough to say he deserves to be jailed for 2 years are absolutely racist
What does that have to do with racism?

There is something really strange to this story though, 3 weeks in jail before being released on bail for an offense like this?

This is so OTT.

Swearing is one thing, being rude can cut both ways. Just because they work for immergration does it give them the right to be rude to the travellers?

I had a problem in Phuket, the guy said I was rude for asking what the problem was. He said that I had to stand there until he said I could move. Sorry but really there is no need for the officals to go on stupid little power trips as much as for the tourist to watch his language.

But putting him in Jail for being rude!! Someone needs to grow up and the judge should throw this case out of court and do something to the immergration officer who is wasting time and money with this.

Pointless and rather embarassing for Thailand I think.

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London

Burrowes said: “I’m a black man

The same black Simon Burrowes from London? :o

International Karate and Kickboxing Academy, London

Simon Burrowes - Instructor

Simon has over 15 years Martial Arts and Amateur Boxing Experience in the UK.

He is a Black Belt 2nd Dan ECKA Karate and kickboxing Instructor.

National Sami contact champion , Bronze Medallist in 2007 WPKA world kickboxing championship in Greece.

It appears it is....The same person really doesn't like to wear shirts I guess... not even for...

Facebook:

Simon Burrowes is a fan of:

* Tiger Muay Thai & MMA Training Camp, Phuket, Thailand

http://www.facebook.com/people/Simon-Burrowes/623791353