Brit Faces Two Years In Thai Jail For Being 'rude'.

Chopper

I think this childish man deserves to be locked up for a very long time to make an example of him.

PIMFRAM, I think you are being the childish one here, grow up. Why should any national be locked up for a minor offence (is it a an offence to query why they are holding your passport, then to let off steam?) I'm not saying it's right what he did but it's an overkill once again by power crazed Thai authorities.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London

Burrowes said: “I’m a black man

The same black Simon Burrowes from London? :o

International Karate and Kickboxing Academy, London

Simon Burrowes - Instructor

Simon has over 15 years Martial Arts and Amateur Boxing Experience in the UK.

He is a Black Belt 2nd Dan ECKA Karate and kickboxing Instructor.

National Sami contact champion , Bronze Medallist in 2007 WPKA world kickboxing championship in Greece.

SJ, I have no idea...

If it is the same bloke though you would think someone so disciplined in Martial Arts would be verbally somewhat more disciplined in the ‘Art’ of tact (if reports from Immigration are true).

Give any official a bit of authority and he will abuse it. The underclasses in all countries, - from garbage disposal men to train guards, strut around like little Hitlers screaming "BECAUSE I SAID SO" as a stock reply.

You can usually be rude back though, (though they'll make life as difficult for you as they possibly can). If you bang the counter with your hand, you will be looking at a night in jail - because they'll call the cops and you'll be done for a minor kind of assault.

I nearly got a night in the cells in Hong Kong for banging my palm on the coin tray on a bus when the driver refused to stop at my usual stop. I had to jump off and run away when he stopped to ring the Police ! I'm such an 'ooligan.

National Sami contact champion , Bronze Medallist in 2007 WPKA world kickboxing championship in Greece.

It appears it is....The same person really doesn't like to wear shirts I guess... not even for...

Facebook:

Simon Burrowes is a fan of:

* Tiger Muay Thai & MMA Training Camp, Phuket, Thailand

http://www.facebook.com/people/Simon-Burrowes/623791353

It seems he is a pretty tough guy. So he will be able to protect his ring if he gets two years bird.

SJ, I have no idea...

If it is the same bloke though you would think someone so disciplined in Martial Arts would be verbally somewhat more disciplined in the ‘Art’ of tact (if reports from Immigration are true).

On the one hand I would agree... as I've known a few martial artists who are as you describe.

Unfortunately, I've also known a couple karate experts who were real dicks and overly aggressive in all aspects of their lives.

Edited by sriracha john

There has to be more to it than he is telling (of course, because it is his side we are hearing, with just some comments from immigration).

What I find strange is that the report states that his passport photograph showed him WITHOUT A SHIRT. ....cant imagine the passport office accepting that photograph.

.... Agreed there, dont believe a word of it. You cant even smile in the picture. A zenophobic immigration officer more than likely. Each ad everyone of us reacts to a situation in a different manner, I know if Immigration in Thailand found something wrong with my passport I wouldnt be happy... I remember in Amsterdam, getting pulled up over what they thought was on the place of birth, I wasnt best pleased but remained cool (it was Amsterdam after all ) I was politely asked to get it rectified back in London which I did...those were the days with hand written passports lol)

Only a complete idiot would act the way he did. Can't feel sorry for him even though the sentence is rather harsh, in fact it is rather funny.

How the hel_l is that funny??? The guy might have family.There are so many arse licking westeners here now, just because the thought of all these women taken away from them is a nightmare. The detainment is way too harsh for voicing an opinion. Anyone that lives here knows that this is no more than a show of power because the guy come from a wealthier country and is probably more wealthy.

It's funny because he thought he could be rude and aggressive and get away with it like he probably can in England. But when he tried it on here it bit him in the back didn't it.

Yes, 2 years is too long but the 3 weeks he has already spent in jail is time well spent in my opinion.

Nobody with an ounce of common sense would talk to immigration officials in a foreign country like that.

show of power because the guy come from a wealthier country and is probably more wealthy.

bull

I would say it's because he showed a lot of disrespect to people (if reports are true).

Edited by madjbs

I think most, even he, would agree that he over-reacted a little too much. I think if I was the official behind the counter I'd not take too kindly to it either. However, a firm, but polite dressing down from the officer would be all that was necessary. After all, he was LEAVING the country. Some one should have told this guy that here in the land of "smile" , (no not my spelling mistake) these poor little thin skinned, inmature, vindictive people will always make sure foreigners know their place in "their" country.

Edited by barky

Why do you believe the charges?

To put it another way, what is the definition of rude, legally, under Thai law?

Suppose he merely protested his detention politely. It may have been culturally stupid for him to do anything (assuming he actually did anything) but I am distressed that people here are not taking his side. IT COULD BE YOU!

Edited by Jingthing

I don't believe the half naked passport pic. Not possible in a UK passport, but he should know better than to swear at an immigration official in any country.

Cheers, Rick

agree on this one, as you only show your FACE on a passport picture

He was certainly not smart to think he had the upper hand on foreign soil, and obviously should have kept his mouth shut (and his hands by his side), but his biggest mistake was not realizing that when dealing with Thais, you are usually dealing with people who have small minds and very large egos. I suspect it was mostly a case of a Thai official losing face. When something like that happens, Thais can become completely irrational. I believe psychologists would call it an inferiority complex (that Thais are unable to act rationally when there egos are bruised).

Now I'll wait for the "Thailand is perfect, so don't you dare criticize it" members to put me in my place.

Edited by Beacher

You can see upper shoulders and chest on most photos. Easy to tell if you are wearing a shirt or not.

The rules don't say anything about what you have to wear in the photo.

Edited by madjbs

A passport photo is rejected if it is not suitable,and if he had no shirt on,then i don't see how he could have got the photo accepted.I think that the Thai immi.chap started off ok,just questioning Simon,but i suspect Simon used his size and mouth to belittle the guy,and from there,it's all downhill. :D I like "beachers" comment about Thai's having small brains and big ego's...To get a job in immigration requires a BA.So much for small brains.....And i wouldn't take to kindly to arrogant foreigners trying to stand over me. :o But going to jail for this,mmmmmm,Seems a bit harsh. :D

Does anyone here have access to his Facebook Page, as he may tell a different version of events through there

He has to approve you as a "friend" in order to see his page... I've asked... Just hope he doesn't shout "<deleted>*K You!" and snatch back my "friend request" out of my hand.

You can see upper shoulders and chest on most photos. Easy to tell if you are wearing a shirt or not.

The rules don't but its pretty much common sense that one would wear a shirt when having a passport picture taken. I doubt whether any embassy would issue a passport showing a topless picture. Could be a lot more fun in the case of well endowed women though!

Cheers, Rick

I don't believe the half naked passport pic. Not possible in a UK passport

Agreed.

Actually I don't think there's a country on Earth that would allow such pics in a passport. I believe you have just spotted a lie from the immigration police.

Sounds like a gob sh!te with a chip on his shoulder ( how I hate these people that try to play the race card.............. only cos I'm black....... blah blah blah).

Nobody has mentioned this but from his attitude it is entirely possible that he has upset some connected person whilst in Phuket, and Immigration were on the look out for him leaving, in order to 'teach him a lesson' or 'to give him a hard time' and with his reaction he has given them reason to detain him :o

What a prat!!

Burrowes was later charged with 'rude and aggressive behaviour' towards an immigration officer, a claim he denies, and was released on £2,000 bail.

Again, ON WHAT BASIS OF EVIDENCE do you believe the charges against this man?

A passport photo is rejected if it is not suitable,and if he had no shirt on,then i don't see how he could have got the photo accepted.I think that the Thai immi.chap started off ok,just questioning Simon,but i suspect Simon used his size and mouth to belittle the guy,and from there,it's all downhill. :DI like "beachers" comment about Thai's having small brains and big ego's...To get a job in immigration requires a BA.So much for small brains.....And i wouldn't take to kindly to arrogant foreigners trying to stand over me. :o But going to jail for this,mmmmmm,Seems a bit harsh. :D

You obviously don't know anything about the Thai education system.

Edited by Beacher

First let me say his face book friend Natalie is very fit.

No way should this guy be facing a couple of years in prison unless he took a swing or was very threatening, which no one is saying he did.

But this is a cautionary tale for anyone that thinks smarting off to any immigration officer anywhere in the world is ok, not matter how small minded or oversized the ego. This shows what kind of power they have over you at that moment. Live with it, or don't travel... anywhere.

Not sure how much patience I would have at the end of the day if I did what immigration officer does all day, especially putting up the idiots I have stood in line behind...

TH

The rules don't but its pretty much common sense

This guy was rather lacking in the common sense department though :o

It wouldn't surprise me if the passport people failed to notice he was topless in the photo. They are completely useless.