Brit Faces Two Years In Thai Jail For Being 'rude'.

Chopper

You can see upper shoulders and chest on most photos. Easy to tell if you are wearing a shirt or not.

The rules don't say anything about what you have to wear in the photo.

The rules don't but its pretty much common sense

This guy was rather lacking in the common sense department though :o

It wouldn't surprise me if the passport people failed to notice he was topless in the photo. They are completely useless.

If true which i seriously doubt, that would appear to be the case. I wonder if his passport picture has been published anywhere. They tend to do this in many cases in Thailand.

Cheers, Rick

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many karate or other forms of fighting contests, I think this one will eventually be determined by the "Tell of the Tape"

The Director General of Immigration at the Phuket International Airport, Suksopon Maneeson, said he had a voice tape recording the incident.
Edited by sriracha john

I can't see why they would lie about the shirtless photo, it would be very easy to check if it were true or not. If the immigration officer wanted to make an excuse for questioning him she would say something like "he was acting suspiciously" or something wouldn't she?

^John, can I be your Facebook friend please.

I've just done a name search on "John" and it seems there are quite a lot.

There are no Sriracha's though, leading me to infer you are here pseudonymically.

Give us a clue....are you a facebook friend of Sabaijai?

Edited by Journalist

I don't believe the half naked passport pic. Not possible in a UK passport

Agreed.

Actually I don't think there's a country on Earth that would allow such pics in a passport. I believe you have just spotted a lie from the immigration police.

Maybe the facts are wrong.

He has half naked trying to go through immergration and they took offence would be my guess.

I don't believe that you can have a half naked passport pic in a UK passport for a second....

If the man was not facing 2 years in jail, that would be very funny. Actually lots of us could be arrested for that supreme offense "Look younger in the photograph".

Passports often have a 10 year validity. Looks younger? I should bloody well think so.

I don't believe the half naked passport pic. Not possible in a UK passport

Agreed.

Actually I don't think there's a country on Earth that would allow such pics in a passport. I believe you have just spotted a lie from the immigration police.

Maybe the facts are wrong.

He has half naked trying to go through immergration and they took offence would be my guess.

I don't believe that you can have a half naked passport pic in a UK passport for a second....

Very possible, the media are not well known for reporting the facts correctly are they!

Dream holiday in Phuket £899,00

2 Years in the Phuket Hilton £2,000

Telling the immigration officer ''F*** You'' snatching back your passport and criticize Thailand in an offensive way PRICELESS

Edited by pimfram

I can't see why they would lie about the shirtless photo, it would be very easy to check if it were true or not. If the immigration officer wanted to make an excuse for questioning him she would say something like "he was acting suspiciously" or something wouldn't she?

I agree that it does seem to be a bit strange, but maybe there is some more to this story and that we are not been given the full facts.

Cheers, Rick

You can see upper shoulders and chest on most photos. Easy to tell if you are wearing a shirt or not.

The rules don't say anything about what you have to wear in the photo.

The rules don't but its pretty much common sense

This guy was rather lacking in the common sense department though :o

It wouldn't surprise me if the passport people failed to notice he was topless in the photo. They are completely useless.

"He also looked younger in the photograph."

If the man was not facing 2 years in jail, that would be very funny. Actually lots of us could be arrested for that supreme offense "Look younger in the photograph".

I wonder if his passport picture has been published anywhere. They tend to do this in many cases in Thailand.

A published photo of a shirtless black man's passport photo in which he looks younger than he really is...

passportphoto.jpg

disclaimer: i am kidding, of course

This is all so funny, ha ha ha, but this man may be heading to jail, and people die in Thai jail. I am disgusted this man was jailed for nothing (even if all the charges are true which is very hard to believe) and disgusted by the reaction here to this.

Edited by Jingthing

I think this childish man deserves to be locked up for a very long time to make an example of him.

What do you base your ill thought out reply on? Punish someone with prison for being rude? have you got mental health issues? jackass

There are no Sriracha's though, leading me to infer you are here pseudonymically.

Give us a clue....

To find, think of a song title with "John" in it. That'll narrow it down.

are you a facebook friend of Sabaijai?

no

A BRITISH man is facing a two-year sentence in a hellish Thai prison for being 'rude' to an official.

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London, was ending a holiday with a friend when Thai authorities in Phuket airport detained him on January 31, preventing him from returning to the UK.

Immigration officials suspected Burrowes' passport was a forgery. Speaking to The Voice via phone from Thailand, Burrowes said: "A woman at immigration was looking at my passport and then handed it to the man behind her. I was ushered to sit down whilst he took out a magnifying glass and proceeded to check my passport for half an hour," he explained.

He was told that he was not getting on the plane and was taken to a detention centre, whilst his friend Matthew was able to fly back to the UK. Burrowes said: "I'm a black man so I'm used to getting hassle at airports, but I was shocked by this." For three weeks, the 44-year old was held with 126 men in a cramped prison cell.

"Thai prisons are notorious for being some of the worst. There is no privacy. You go to the toilet in the open and there is no toilet paper. There were guys in there that had scabies and were next to me," said Burrowes.

He contacted the British Consulate, who confirmed his passport was genuine. However, the disgruntled Brit claims that the Consulate should have done more, saying that they took long to react to his case.

"I was disgusted and beside myself. People talk of them [the British Consulate] like they are the cavalry. If you have issues abroad they come charging to help. But they didn't really help me," he fumed. Burrowes was later charged with 'rude and aggressive behaviour' towards an immigration officer, a claim he denies, and was released on £2,000 bail. He must remain in Thailand until his trial begins on April 26, and his lawyer has warned he could face a two-year jail sentence.

"I have to find some way to sustain myself financially while I am here. I went to Thailand to enjoy the land, learn the culture and spend some money. It's turned into a nightmare," he said. Burrowes is hoping that he will soon be able to fly back to the UK.

"If they find me guilty, who knows what will happen. I met people in prison who are doing five years for having two spliffs on them. It's very difficult to hold yourself up in a Thai prison. I feel very bitter about what has happened," he said. A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London told The Voice they are

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

It would appear that he swore at the immigration official, criticised Thailand & snatched his passport back, so on that basis he got what he deserved & if he does receive a prison sentence, he has only himself to blame - end of discussion. I'd just add that I've no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Now why would i not be suprized by the likes of you - you hatred of your father has f*cked your humanity

A passport photo is rejected if it is not suitable,and if he had no shirt on,then i don't see how he could have got the photo accepted.I think that the Thai immi.chap started off ok,just questioning Simon,but i suspect Simon used his size and mouth to belittle the guy,and from there,it's all downhill. :DI like "beachers" comment about Thai's having small brains and big ego's...To get a job in immigration requires a BA.So much for small brains.....And i wouldn't take to kindly to arrogant foreigners trying to stand over me. :o But going to jail for this,mmmmmm,Seems a bit harsh. :D

You obviously don't know anything about the Thai education system.

what system?? :D:D

from... http://phuketwan.com/tourism/briton-jailed-phuket-rude/

"When the official started to ask questions, Burrowes became angry,

Khun Suksopon said, and snatched back his passport.

Burrowes then said ''F*** You'' and criticised Thailand in an offensive way, Khun Suksopon added.

''If you go to England and behave the way this man did, what would happen?'' Khun Suksopon asked.

''I love Thailand. I do not want people coming here and looking down on Thailand

or speaking badly about Thailand and to Thai people.''

_______

Okay, I have no idea what really went on at the airport,

and I'm not sure if the guy lost his temper before or after missing his flight.

However, Khun Suksopon might be interested to read what IS happening in England.

from... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2461247.ece

"OFFICIALS guarding Britain’s borders have been told to cheer up,

smarten up and take some lessons in charm - from the Germans.

The government is worried that staff manning passport desks provide

a depressing welcome for foreign tourists and has decided to use

the imminent adoption nationwide of new uniforms as an excuse

to give officials a full makeover.

<edit>

"According to data collected by Visit Britain, a tourism quango,

this country ranks 16th in the world for “visitor welcome”.

Canada is top, followed by Australia, Spain and New Zealand.

Britain is on a par with Mexico, although above France and the United States.

“Britain has a good image for its heritage, the arts, fashion and popular culture,”

said Visit Britain, the national tourism agency.

“But not a good image as a welcoming place. There is still that ‘stiff upper lip’ idea.”

James Bidwell, chief executive of Visit London, said:

“Immigration officers have got to realise that this country is in the consumer business.

Of course they have a serious job to do but they can, and should, have friendly faces, too.”

______

Seems the Brits realise that it is also worth assessing their (my) officials.

Cheer up, smarten up, learn from the Germans.

Ooeeerrr. Mr Mainwaring.

''If you go to England and behave the way this man did, what would happen?'' Khun Suksopon asked.

Basically NOTHING. Certainly not jail. Unless a real crime could be linked to the identity of this person other than a possible temper issue.

Edited by Jingthing

Maybe, in retaliation, Britain should arrest and detain a Thai for a few hours before releasing him with the following apology:

"We're sorry but with that yellow shirt, he looked topless and because of his half shut slanting eyes, we thought he was dead when the photograph was taken."

Surely not necessary for the old hands on here, but maybe for any first-time visitors - this is a salient warning not to "lose it" under any circumstances when dealing with officials in this fair land.

However you may feel about the rights and wrongs of any given situation there is only one sensible - sane - way to deal with it. Keep calm, swallow your pride and smile. These people hold all of the cards whilst you are on their soil, and the Human Rights Act won't help you here.

Thailand is beginning to look more like a destination where you are at the whim and mercy of disgruntled govt. officials with a chip on their shoulder.

He may not be the type of 5 star visitor they would wish to attract, but then large parts of Phuket are not exactly at 5 star destination standards.

However when flying out; is it not the ground staff of the airline you fly with who checks passports, rather than immigration officials who check when you come in?

Are we to presume that insulting Thailand is now a punishable offense?

Immigration stamp your passport on entry and also stamp your passport when you leave the country.

:o:D:D

So we presume he was on an international flight. In which case after Brit Consulate confirm passport is genuine, it is even more ridiculous as he is on his way out of the country. What on earth is the point in detaining him here. Just put him on his flight.

you are usually dealing with people who have small minds and very large egos.

Just like most of the farangs on Thai Visa then?

Well, here is one for you Beacher madjbs definately appears to prefer Thais over westeners, or Farangs as he likes to call them. And, do you include yourself in the "most" madjbs?

Edited by barky

Give us a clue....

To find, think of a song title with "John" in it. That'll narrow it down.

are you a facebook friend of Sabaijai?

no

I reckon ex navy.

Gotta be Sloop John B!!

Edited by JacknDanny