Brit Faces Two Years In Thai Jail For Being 'rude'.

Chopper

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is beginning to look more like a destination where you are at the whim and mercy of disgruntled govt. officials with a chip on their shoulder.

He may not be the type of 5 star visitor they would wish to attract, but then large parts of Phuket are not exactly at 5 star destination standards.

However when flying out; is it not the ground staff of the airline you fly with who checks passports, rather than immigration officials who check when you come in?

Are we to presume that insulting Thailand is now a punishable offense?

Immigration stamp your passport on entry and also stamp your passport when you leave the country.

:o:D:D

So we presume he was on an international flight. In which case after Brit Consulate confirm passport is genuine, it is even more ridiculous as he is on his way out of the country. What on earth is the point in detaining him here. Just put him on his flight.

errr....except that the Brit Consulate was a major part of the problem according to Khun Simon...

He contacted the British Consulate, who confirmed his passport was genuine. However, the disgruntled Brit claims that the Consulate should have done more, saying that they took long to react to his case.

“I was disgusted and beside myself. People talk of them [the British Consulate] like they are the cavalry. If you have issues abroad they come charging to help. But they didn’t really help me,” he fumed.

^John, can I be your Facebook friend please.

I've just done a name search on "John" and it seems there are quite a lot.

There are no Sriracha's though, leading me to infer you are here pseudonymically.

Give us a clue....

To find, think of a song title with "John" in it. That'll narrow it down.

are you a facebook friend of Sabaijai?

no

I reckon ex navy.

Gotta be Sloop John B!!

:o good try... but no.

anyway.... it's just facebook and we've derailed this very pressing topic enough as it is with our Farang Pub-ish sub-thread.

Thanks for playing.

Only a complete idiot would act the way he did. Can't feel sorry for him even though the sentence is rather harsh, in fact it is rather funny.

How the hel_l is that funny??? The guy might have family.There are so many arse licking westeners here now, just because the thought of all these women taken away from them is a nightmare. The detainment is way too harsh for voicing an opinion. Anyone that lives here knows that this is no more than a show of power because the guy come from a wealthier country and is probably more wealthy.

Too right, you have to respect the culture and the way things are over here, but there is an increasing number of farang who just kiss Thai ass to the point it makes be embarrassed to watch. As I'm in the teaching game over here I see these kind of people trying to pucker-up their way to the top and there's just no need for it.

A passport photo is rejected if it is not suitable,and if he had no shirt on,then i don't see how he could have got the photo accepted.I think that the Thai immi.chap started off ok,just questioning Simon,but i suspect Simon used his size and mouth to belittle the guy,and from there,it's all downhill. :DI like "beachers" comment about Thai's having small brains and big ego's...To get a job in immigration requires a BA.So much for small brains.....And i wouldn't take to kindly to arrogant foreigners trying to stand over me. :o But going to jail for this,mmmmmm,Seems a bit harsh. :wai:

You obviously don't know anything about the Thai education system.

what system?? :D:D

I know the Thai education system better then most,my wife went through it and my daughter is going through it...Both have better education then the average Australian student.. :D

Only a complete idiot would act the way he did. Can't feel sorry for him even though the sentence is rather harsh, in fact it is rather funny.

How the hel_l is that funny??? The guy might have family.There are so many arse licking westeners here now, just because the thought of all these women taken away from them is a nightmare. The detainment is way too harsh for voicing an opinion. Anyone that lives here knows that this is no more than a show of power because the guy come from a wealthier country and is probably more wealthy.

Too right, you have to respect the culture and the way things are over here, but there is an increasing number of farang who just kiss Thai ass to the point it makes be embarrassed to watch. As I'm in the teaching game over here I see these kind of people trying to pucker-up their way to the top and there's just no need for it.

You know the standard of farangs in Thailand is low when acting respectfully and properly is deemed as "Kissing Thai Ass"

:o

I know the Thai education system better then most,my wife went through it and my daughter is going through it...Both have better education then the average Australian student.. dry.gif

Case closed then as we can't hope to get a more objective analysis than yours, from a person with no emotional investment in making his learned evaluation.

BTW: I have heard that in Thai unis, once accepted, as long as you pay the fees, you are 100 percent guaranteed to graduate.

Edited by Jingthing

Funny, really? :D

The Director General of Immigration at the Phuket International Airport, Suksopon Maneeson, said he had a voice tape recording the incident.

you could reserve your judgement until hearing the recording :o

I know the Thai education system better then most,my wife went through it and my daughter is going through it...Both have better education then the average Australian student.. dry.gif

Case closed then as we can't hope to get a more objective analysis than yours, from a person with no emotional investment in making his learned evaluation.

BTW: I have heard that in Thai unis, once accepted, as long as you pay the fees, you are 100 percent guaranteed to graduate.

Well,you heard wrong. :o

What a difference location makes.

We have a Brit who, allegedly, told an immigration officer in Phuket to <deleted> off and then, also allegedly, went on to insult Thailand so he gets banged up. Here on ThaiVisa we have people falling over themselves to jump to his defence arguing that the officer's report must be false and they guy shouldn't be in jail.

Now transpose ourself a few hundred kilometers north and a Brit tells a Pattaya policeman to <deleted> off etc etc. We'd have the official ThaiVisa hang 'em high brigade demanding him be castrated and boiled alive.

Ah, but I'm forgetting that Phuket only admits quality tourists.

The rest of the population is another story. :o

you could reserve your judgement until hearing the recording

Now that is a complete joke.

The public will NEVER hear that tape, even if it really exists.

You're really going all out against the immigration officer...Why are you so sure the black man is right?Are you so sure that he would never do such a thing?Because of his colour,do you feel he must just be getting victimised?You are really pushing this one,have YOU been a victim of an unfriendly (Small brained,uneducated) Thai official? :o

Well, I'm not in a position to compare Thai uni's with Australian but you are incorrect about paying fees and being 100% guaranteed to graduate. Friend of my completed MBA about 18 months ago and I know that members of her class did not graduate.

Imagine if he gets time for this in a country where rich murderers walk around free! This is why it is a third world country despite all its other outward charms!

He should know,this is a message to a lot of other bums to behave or face the music.

Yes, that is categorically true of Thai degrees.

And western teachers, many of whom have little English language skill, are the worst thai arse lickers i have ever come across. and why? they want to keep their jobs and get more than a little concerned on thaivisa if their limitations are pointed out. those who really lose of course are the thai students, but they don't care about them.

on topic, i don't understand either why no one is questioning the real truth here instead of accepting the authorities and media reports; this doesn't happen on other forums.

Well, I'm not in a position to compare Thai uni's with Australian but you are incorrect about paying fees and being 100% guaranteed to graduate. Friend of my completed MBA about 18 months ago and I know that members of her class did not graduate.

As was the case with my wife,several in her class DID NOT pass,where as my wife did.These people paid,same as my wife.

If you pay all the fees required you pass after a resit..

Yes, that is categorically true of Thai degrees.

And western teachers, many of whom have little English language skill, are the worst thai arse lickers i have ever come across. and why? they want to keep their jobs and get more than a little concerned on thaivisa if their limitations are pointed out. those who really lose of course are the thai students, but they don't care about them.

on topic, i don't understand either why no one is questioning the real truth here instead of accepting the authorities and media reports; this doesn't happen on other forums.

The reason is,once you see the chap,and his profile,it's not a far stretch of the imagination to believe he is an aggressive person.He is heavily involved in fighting/training to fight.Could you see him backing down to a lowly official? :o

You're really going all out against the immigration officer...Why are you so sure the black man is right?Are you so sure that he would never do such a thing?Because of his colour,do you feel he must just be getting victimised?You are really pushing this one,have YOU been a victim of an unfriendly (Small brained,uneducated) Thai official? :o

Some critical thinking is in order, dude. This has NOTHING to do with the officer. It has to do with the Thai justice system. They don't publicly release evidence of this nature. This is not an open society like most in the west. That is a fact. In Pattaya for example NONE of the LOCAL press is even ALLOWED at court trials. So people convicted in the press and on thaivisa, even if they are found not guilty, it is not reported. Just the facts, man.

I am not sure the black man did not act rudely. I can make subjective judgments that he doesn't deserve to have his life put at risk for that, no matter how "rude" he may or may not have been. Also, I can make subjective judgments that a class of people, most of the posters here, who could have the same kind of injustice easily happen to them who are not open to his side of the matter, are majorly messed up in the head.

And yes I have encountered a brutish official or two, what difference does that make?

Edited by Jingthing

Some critical thinking is in order, dude. This has NOTHING to do with the officer. It has to do with the Thai justice system. They don't publicly release evidence of this nature. This is not an open society like most in the west. That is a fact. In Pattaya for example NONE of the LOCAL press is even ALLOWED at court trials. So people convicted in the press and on thaivisa, even if they are found not guilty, it is not reported. Just the facts, man.

Surely they would release it,if it's in their interest?I didn't know that the press were not allowed in court,seems a bit unfair on the defendant.

A BRITISH man is facing a two-year sentence in a hellish Thai prison for being ‘rude’ to an official.

Voice reader Simon Burrowes, from Wembley, north London, was ending a holiday with a friend when Thai authorities in Phuket airport detained him on January 31, preventing him from returning to the UK.

Immigration officials suspected Burrowes’ passport was a forgery. Speaking to The Voice via phone from Thailand, Burrowes said: “A woman at immigration was looking at my passport and then handed it to the man behind her. I was ushered to sit down whilst he took out a magnifying glass and proceeded to check my passport for half an hour,” he explained.

He was told that he was not getting on the plane and was taken to a detention centre, whilst his friend Matthew was able to fly back to the UK. Burrowes said: “I’m a black man so I’m used to getting hassle at airports, but I was shocked by this.” For three weeks, the 44-year old was held with 126 men in a cramped prison cell.

“Thai prisons are notorious for being some of the worst. There is no privacy. You go to the toilet in the open and there is no toilet paper. There were guys in there that had scabies and were next to me,” said Burrowes.

He contacted the British Consulate, who confirmed his passport was genuine. However, the disgruntled Brit claims that the Consulate should have done more, saying that they took long to react to his case.

“I was disgusted and beside myself. People talk of them [the British Consulate] like they are the cavalry. If you have issues abroad they come charging to help. But they didn’t really help me,” he fumed. Burrowes was later charged with ‘rude and aggressive behaviour’ towards an immigration officer, a claim he denies, and was released on £2,000 bail. He must remain in Thailand until his trial begins on April 26, and his lawyer has warned he could face a two-year jail sentence.

“I have to find some way to sustain myself financially while I am here. I went to Thailand to enjoy the land, learn the culture and spend some money. It’s turned into a nightmare,” he said. Burrowes is hoping that he will soon be able to fly back to the UK.

“If they find me guilty, who knows what will happen. I met people in prison who are doing five years for having two spliffs on them. It’s very difficult to hold yourself up in a Thai prison. I feel very bitter about what has happened,” he said. A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London told The Voice they are

looking into the case.

Link to story here.

Hang on a sec.......... wasn't his pasport stamped with his entry stamp, wasn't it good enough for him to leave the Uk on, as well, didn;t he by chance have travel stamps from other countries in it ............. I wonder if we have been given the whole story, but assuming what we know is the sum total, I'd also be pxxxxd-off if I was taken aside and risked loosing a flight back to the UK.

.........and as usual, what has the UK Embassy/Consular section done to help??? - not a thing more than they are legally obliged to do - nothing. They should all be lined up outside the embassy and shot. Will never forget how helpful they were after the Tsunami - wasn't until the UK papers started printing stories about their atitude towards their fellow country members that they decided to improve things.

I am not sure the black man did not act rudely. I can make subjective judgments that he doesn't deserve to have his life put at risk for that, no matter how "rude" he may or may not have been. Also, I can make subjective judgments that a class of people, most of the posters here, could have the same kind of injustice easily happen to them who are not open to his side of the matter, are majorly messed up in the head.

And yes I have encountered a brutish official or two, what difference does that make?

Jeez,stop editing your post for just one minute........... :D The difference it makes is this:If you have felt that you were victimised in a similar way,then naturally you will feel the need to speak out and condemn such actions.I have never been treated any way other then politely when dealing with officials,police whatever in Thailand.I have always been polite to you on Tv,but you are really just being silly now.

Edited by tritexengineering

.........and as usual, what has the UK Embassy/Consular section done to help??? - not a thing more than they are legally obliged to do - nothing. They should all be lined up outside the embassy and shot. Will never forget how helpful they were after the Tsunami - wasn't until the UK papers started printing stories about their atitude towards their fellow country members that they decided to improve things.

I find them extremly helpful

I find this very hard to believe even here in Thailand . . . There is something not quite right here . . . There is far more to this story....

does seem a bit strange....

as from what is made out, he has done nothing wrong?? ...... and the UK Consul in Phuket would have helped him out straight away..

I could be wrong, and often am, but when I was helping a fellow Brit in trouble in Phuket, admittedly some years ago, the local 'Crown Representative' was an Honorary Consul and was almost useless--he really only seemed to want the position to help him with his local business dealings--I sincerely hope he's not the guy that the Brit in question is relying on to come to his aid.

Well,you heard wrong. :o

As a former university teacher, I'm afraid Jingthing is right.

Somewhat off topic. In '85 I picked up a friends girlfriend...at Gatwick from Rio. She came out of the gate 3 hours late, in floods of tears and totally distraught. :o She had been stopped by immigration, body searched (full) and questioned. Meanwhile they had taken her new Gucci handbag (not a snide...the real thing) and "demolished" it. Gave it back to her in pieces, in an old plastic bag.

We got an address to contact, SW1 if I remember....and never ever got a reply. Welcome to the UK madam. Enjoy your trip.

Regards.