Surviving Thailand - Your One Top Tip!

farangissan

If I have one rule I try to live by, it's DON'T LOSE YOUR TEMPER!

Unfortunately, Thailand does offer me plenty of opportunities to break this rule. But I am learning to bite my tongue and smile. It makes for a sore mouth but an easy life!

If you had ONE piece of advice to help farangs through day-to-day life out here, what would it be?

Edited by farangissan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

baring external factors re savings,income pensions that are off shore,i would say keep reminding oneself how lucky you are to be here,keep your hand in your pocket,be wary of any business ventures with thais or falang,never loan money out if you really need to have it paid back,and as the OP said,dont show or lose your temper.

The genuine belief of most Thai buddhist people:-

Tam dee - Dai dee

Tam chua - Dai chua

You do good, you will have good.

You do bad, you will have bad.

A motto I stick to in the village and it usually works.......................take care RayBan :o

NEVER

trust a thai or ferang who asks you to borrow ANY amount money !

ive lent to both in the past and its COST me money

NEVER AGAIN

if you ignore this simple advice .... ITS GONNA COST YOU !

Enjoy and remember .... Dave2

I have to agree with the above. Never ever ever never ever get angry. Takes some time to get that inscrutable chinese face but necessary for getting things to work and staying out of trouble.

The other thing old timers told me again and again, which I finally understand now, is never invest more here than you can walk away from. Any investment here is fine, including real estate, if you can throw it away tomorrow and not notice.

Those two things are written on my chart board and I read them every morning. Good advice from old timers, best learned the easy way...

Always look on the bright side of life du du du du

When you think life has dealt you a bad blow think of all the people whoare worse than yourself.

AND ALWAYS LAUGH WHEN YOUR MATES ARE BACK HOME WORKING THEIR NUTS OFF ON A COLD WINTER DAY,THEN ASK YOU IF YOU GET BORED IN PATTAYA,NOW THAT MAKES ME FEEL SO GOOD

If I have one rule I try to live by, it's DON'T LOSE YOUR TEMPER!

Unfortunately, Thailand does offer me plenty of opportunities to break this rule. But I am learning to bite my tongue and smile. It makes for a sore mouth but an easy life!

If you had ONE piece of advice to help farangs through day-to-day life out here, what would it be?

Stay out of the second floor bars.

This may not apply so much in Isaan, literally at least, but euphemistically, it's not bad advice.

AND ALWAYS LAUGH WHEN YOUR MATES ARE BACK HOME WORKING THEIR NUTS OFF ON A COLD WINTER DAY,THEN ASK YOU IF YOU GET BORED IN PATTAYA,NOW THAT MAKES ME FEEL SO GOOD

Who was it that blasted me for beginning a sentence with AND?

:o:D:D:D

AND the advice would be - beware of glasshouses and stones :D

Fantastic stuff! Thank you! Breaking my own "One Piece Of Advice" rule - here's another (less funny than "don't eat the yellow snow" but perhaps more valuable) - be flexible. Thai "planning" is rarely more than the passing of an idle and pleasant thought, so don't build your tomorrow on things you hear today.

Who was it that blasted me for beginning a sentence with AND?

And i wonder who that was

Don't use illegal drugs. While in America and Western Europe, you can get away with it or just a slap on the wrist, Thailand and other Asian countries carry crazy laws like death sentence or life in prison. At best; pay all your baht as a bribe to get off. If I were in my 20's here, I'd be doing pot as I didn't realize nor care about the possibility of getting narced out, but in my 30's, I watch my P's and Q's as I'm much more aware now that a spliff is easily sniffed out. No more stoned robot trying to decipher the difference between a 1 baht and 2 baht coin or the difference between Deutch Marks and Dutch Guilders. LOL

Same as living in any country. Heres a list of ten....

1) Follow your instincts.

2) Don't be pressured into doing anything that you don't want to do.

3) Make sure you have legal rights to business or property, if you don't want to lose it.

4) Don't make it known that you have money (if you have).

5) Don't make it known that you have life insurance (if you have).

6) Don't lend money, to anyone.

7) Try to learn the language.

8) Don't get involved in any Thai on Thai arguments.

9) Never openly lose your temper

10) Treat all officials with respect

some of the above may sound paranoid, but sometimes paranoia's just having all the facts.

GFL.