Surviving Thailand - Your One Top Tip!

farangissan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think too mutt

Learn how to say no with a smile...and don't weaken once you have said no.

Understand "Thai Time"

Get a hobby or interest that doesnt have to include your teeruk

Act comfortable - not rich

Don't wai the kids

Definately Mai Pen Rai,

If that doesnt work then try valium in bulk!!!....

Seriously though, as other posters have added...have an attitude of gratitude...

you only have to remember sh_tty situations and the way people act and treat you in your own country.

They say the Thai are obsessed with money,rippoffs ect, but at least they only take you for small change, not like the greedy,ignorant,belligerant,biggoted,racist capitalist Bast_rds at home

I can't believe some of these replies.

Be yourself. Don't go kissing arse, pretending to be Thai or more Thai than the Thais and kow towing to all their potty rules and nonsense. They may not like it but at least you can stand tall and know that you have not had to lower yourself to their level.

Don't take that out of context please as even I am flexible but one thing, you must retain pride in yourself and how you do that mai pen rai-ing (and the other crap) all the time when it actually is important is beyond me. Some things don't matter but some do and no amount of nonsense from a westerner or a local is going to change my mind.

My daughter has fallen down and is bleeding badly. Can you get an ambulance.

Sure, 5 minutes

30 minutes later - where is ambulance

Sure, 5 minutes

2 hours later, she is dead.

Mai pen rai

Utter <deleted>.

Wear a helmet at all times.Dont wear flip flops with a kickstart bike.I had only just passed my bike test in the states when the wife and I went "home"(sakon).I had to to use the brothers bike to go somewhere not important and yes you guessed it,it had a kickstart.My foot slipped whilst wearing my flip flops and of course everyone was looking on to see the farang ride this contraption,this almighty golf ball size lump appeared on my shin.I managed to keep my face straight as nobody seen it.As I got down the road I let it all out. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGG.

If you ever see some farang with shin guards on, then you know why!!!!!!!

Rent everything.

Seconded.

Third. From one who did not take that advice.

Agreed. Rent property in YOUR name. Not your sweet hearts name. And if you want to move, move two months before the end of the contract, because you hardly ever get your deposit back.

go to your own country for a week....you cant wait to get back

I totally agree sometimes you get frustrated but as people say keep on smiling and if you are in your own country you cant wait to get back to thailand

Surviving Isaan is perhaps more relevant. All the women over 20 (those that are left) spend their days in patungs, and along with all the spiritual events; party pees etc are enough to drive one crazy. Every 3 months or so I take off to Pattaya alone (I am lucky as I have a daughter there -nod nod wink wink) and I return a new man after just 2/3 days.

Buy the vehicle that suits your needs and dont be persuaded by family/less experienced people to buy Truck/ 4x4 for example, if it is not needed.

Dave(4x4 truck owner :o )

Very true mate. We've both got reasons for the trucks but most haven't. In Thai big is good.

To be honest, i have 3 top tips,

Love your Mrs g/f, she is your best friend here,

Your mindset should be happy and self-contented, self-sufficient in thought processes and the like.

Get what you want for a contented life, in my case, BB internet, UBC tv, favourite beer, 1200 yamaha [for ocasinal rides out] 40 rai fruit farm for tinkering about with plants/veg ect, but to me the most important is a very good loving mrs, thats more than 75% of the battle.

Cheers, Lickey & Pan..

Your mindset should be happy and self-contented, self-sufficient in thought processes and the like.

Get what you want for a contented life, in my case, BB internet, UBC tv, favourite beer, 1200 yamaha [for ocasinal rides out] 40 rai fruit farm for tinkering about with plants/veg ect, but to me the most important is a very good loving mrs, thats more than 75% of the battle.

Cheers, Lickey & Pan..

Can't argue with that one, Lickey. :o

:D

Chock Dee

David & Sri (hey, that rhymes)

Cheers, Lickey & Pan..

Can't argue with that one, Lickey. :o

:D

Chock Dee

David & Sri (hey, that rhymes)

So that makes it Cockney rhyming slang for..................... what ? :D

Remember to take it easy - jai yen yen.....................and smile :o

It takes loooooooooooooog time to understand some of the "things" going on, :D

and forever to understand it all. :D