Surviving Thailand - Your One Top Tip!

farangissan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One word, "patience". I've been living in Isaan for over a year now & I've had to adjust my "USA" way of thinking & doing things to blend/survive. Even when things get frustrating (as they often do), I have to stop & reflect on why I wanted to retire & move here in the first place...it puts things in perspective. Thailand is a wonderful place & the people are often equally wonderful. Life is good so as the best selling book says, "don't sweat the small stuff..." Chok dee kup.

Be careful when listening to advice from other farang.

Every Farang whether he has lived in Thailand for 2 week or 25 years is an bleedin expert on everything Thai.

That's because it only takes upto 2 weeks to learn. I know more about Thailand than my wife and I'm sure that applies to every married farang in Thailand.

Every Farang whether he has lived in Thailand for 2 week or 25 years is an bleedin expert on everything Thai.

That's because it only takes upto 2 weeks to learn. I know more about Thailand than my wife and I'm sure that applies to every married farang in Thailand.

What every married Ferang knows more about Thailand than your wife, Coventry?? :D:D:D:D

Bless, Look after her mate! :o

Dave

My top tip is not to get upset (as I do) about the fact that pedestrians are the lowest form of being thought of!

Footpaths, Sidewalks or whatever you want to call them are fair game for just about anything that anyone wants to place on them.

In just about every city, vehicles, motor bikes parked perpendicular to the roadway, advertising boards etc etc.

If someone wants to completely block a path, it seems there is no law whatsoever to stop this , often requiring you to walk on to a busy road and back on to the pathway again to get around the obstruction.

Pedestrian Crossings............Where are they? Do they exist? Will any vehicle driver take notice if there happened to be one?

Actually, I got a lot of good advice from the old hands when I first came to Thailand - unfortunately I didn't listen to enough of it.

My tip, try to focus on the good things and accept that there is probably nothing that you can do about the annoyances.

Actually, I got a lot of good advice from the old hands when I first came to Thailand - unfortunately I didn't listen to enough of it.

My tip, try to focus on the good things and accept that there is probably nothing that you can do about the annoyances.

Here is an itinerary to follow for all newcomers (and some not-so-wise old timers).....

Pre-planning before you leave:

Deposit all your savings into a 1 year term deposit bank account;

Renew all recurring bills if they can't be done by internet while abroad.

Day 1:

Depart for Bangkok. Arrive with return ticket valid for one year & the equivalent of 100,000 baht.

Day 2 - Day 364:

Live in the "land of smiles" (and thieves, corrupt officials, liars, and 'farang' misfits);

Learn the language;

Learn the culture;

Travel everywhere;

Don't move in with a Thai girl;

Don't fall in love with a Thai girl;

Don't come looking for love;

Don't lend money to anyone or do anyone any favors:

Earn a legal living any way you can (teaching, tourism, etc.);

Don't drink too much and dress neatly (unlike most English that call it their 'home');

Don't make an idiot of yourself in public.

Day 365:

Return home with some souvenir Thai baht (max. 1,000) just in time to collect your term deposit with the interest.

Summary:

If you deposited at least US$200,000 into a bank account (assuming interest rate of 3% pa.) you will earn at least US$6,000 interest at today's rates, which is approximately 200,000 Baht. Therefore deducting the return airfare (approx. $2,000) and your initial funds of 100,000 Baht (approx. US$3,000) you will be in the black by US$1,000. 'And' in a country where the 'house always wins', you can consider yourself, my friends, to be a winner! (Just wait until you are outside the country however before you declare this as nearly all Thais can't stand the thought of a Farang being a winner after living in their country for a year. It gets nasty!).

Further note:

Regrettably, I didn't follow this itinerary and stayed 4 years too many. "No more bets!"

And more:

However, I did get something positive out of my 4 year Thai adventure: speaking, reading and writing the Thai language. Now that in itself is something that 99% of these 'expert bloggers' on Thai Visa Forum couldn't claim, yet know everything about Thai people and their culture. If only they understood 15% of what was being said behind their backs, maybe, just maybe, the number of farang living in Thailand and pooring money into this third world country wouldn't be so great and the Thai people would be absolutely delightful, going about their daily farming and subsistence activities, waving politely to 'foreigners'......ahhhh......one can only dream of days gone by.

Edited by dummyspit

Here is an itinerary to follow for all newcomers (and some not-so-wise old timers).....

Day 1:

Depart for Bangkok. Arrive with return ticket valid for one year & the equivalent of 100,000 baht.

Day 2 - Day 364:

Live in the "land of smiles" (and thieves, corrupt officials, liars, and 'farang' misfits);

Learn the language;

Learn the culture;

Travel everywhere;

Don't drink too much and dress neatly (unlike most English that call it their 'home');

Day 365:

Return home with some souvenir Thai baht (max. 1,000) just in time to collect your term deposit with the interest.

Summary:

If you deposited at least US$200,000 into a bank account (assuming interest rate of 3% pa.) you will earn at least US$6,000 interest at today's rates, which is approximately 200,000 Baht. Therefore deducting the return airfare (approx. $2,000) and your initial funds of 100,000 Baht (approx. US$3,000) you will be in the black by US$1,000. 'And' in a country where the 'house always wins', you can consider yourself, my friends, to be a winner! (Just wait until you are outside the country however before you declare this as nearly all Thais can't stand the thought of a Farang being a winner after living in their country for a year. It gets nasty!).

Further note:

Regrettably, I didn't follow this itinerary and stayed 4 years too many. "No more bets!"

And more:

However, I did get something positive out of my 4 year Thai adventure: speaking, reading and writing the Thai language. Now that in itself is something that 99% of these 'expert bloggers' on Thai Visa Forum couldn't claim, yet know everything about Thai people and their culture. If only they understood 15% of what was being said behind their backs, maybe, just maybe, the number of farang living in Thailand and pooring money into this third world country wouldn't be so great and the Thai people would be absolutely delightful, going about their daily farming and subsistence activities, waving politely to 'foreigners'......ahhhh......one can only dream of days gone by.

Yes, you are the man. Complete expert on all things Thai. If only us mere mortals were as clued-up as you. I'd rather carry-on making the odd mistake than sound as sanctimonious as you do. "Don't do anyone any favours" ??? - nice. Shame about the spelling.

Edited by londoedan

Day 1:

Day 2 - Day 364:

Learn the language;

Learn the culture;

Travel everywhere;

Day 365:

Summary:

Further note:

And more:

no, you get nothing out of your 4 year Thai adventure

because the problem you have brought here is still inside you

Dummy Dummy Dummy

The only thing you get credit for is the language thing.

Apart from this it sounds like you got burnt by a girl, had a run in with the cops and couldn't make any

friends.

Oh and can't handle your beer!!!!

See you when you come back. :o

If I have one rule I try to live by, it's DON'T LOSE YOUR TEMPER!

Unfortunately, Thailand does offer me plenty of opportunities to break this rule. But I am learning to bite my tongue and smile. It makes for a sore mouth but an easy life!

If you had ONE piece of advice to help farangs through day-to-day life out here, what would it be?

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see . :o

If I have one rule I try to live by, it's DON'T LOSE YOUR TEMPER!

Unfortunately, Thailand does offer me plenty of opportunities to break this rule. But I am learning to bite my tongue and smile. It makes for a sore mouth but an easy life!

If you had ONE piece of advice to help farangs through day-to-day life out here, what would it be?

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see . :o

Believe nothing you see, and only half of what you hear ^^ :D

Dummy Dummy Dummy

The only thing you get credit for is the language thing.

Apart from this it sounds like you got burnt by a girl, had a run in with the cops and couldn't make any

friends.

Oh and can't handle your beer!!!!

See you when you come back. :o

Perfectly legitimate response! Fortunately no, I never had a run in with the 'cops', but in my line of work I certainly had a lot to do with Thai government officials - not to be trusted, ever. Sadly, I suffered from a pathetic gene pool of intelligent 'farang' living in Thailand that would make suitable friends. However, can recall a few gentlemen along the way...

Not a beer drinker, sorry chaps! But can easily polish off a large bottle of Regency!

Oh, and the Thai girl bit.....well, find me a foreigner who hasn't been burnt by a Thai girl. Now there's a challenge for you.

And for the newcomers, if that doesn't shake your senses, then here's the Thai national anthem, English version:

"Thailand is the unity of Thai blood and body.

The whole country belongs to the Thai people, maintaining thus far for the Thai.

All Thais intend to unite together.

Thais love peace but do not fear to fight.

They will never let anyone threaten their independence.

They will sacrifice every drop of their blood to contribute to the nation, will serve their country with pride and prestige full of victory.

CHAI YO." [Cheers].

Do I need to remind you that us "mere mortals" will only ever be thought of as guests in this land, Thai land?

If this doesn't convince you, then why not learn a bit more about the 'juggernaut' behind the Thai people:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureau_of_the_Crown_Property

"Control is power, power is wealth"

"Money is king!"

Chai yo.

Edited by dummyspit

Listen mate

You sound very bitter about something.

Every country has corrupt officials, everyone has had a run in with a girl from "back home" never mind Thailand.

I am 100% English and proud of it,just like the Thais or anyone else for that matter should be proud of where they come from.As for being always considerd a guest, well I am currently living in the U.S and there will always be some kind of animosity towards me from a select few.I think the guys or gals that are living here(Thailand) understand this.What they dont need is for someone to ram this down there throats.

It sounds like it didn't work out for you,everyone is different.Move on.

Listen mate

You sound very bitter about something.

Every country has corrupt officials, everyone has had a run in with a girl from "back home" never mind Thailand.

I am 100% English and proud of it,just like the Thais or anyone else for that matter should be proud of where they come from.As for being always considerd a guest, well I am currently living in the U.S and there will always be some kind of animosity towards me from a select few.I think the guys or gals that are living here(Thailand) understand this.What they dont need is for someone to ram this down there throats.

It sounds like it didn't work out for you,everyone is different.Move on.

No need to listen "mate".

I am NOT 100% English and very proud of it. I kept a wide berth from your countrymen, particularly from northern England, while living in Thailand - for good reason. Maybe it's a class thing.....honestly I wouldn't lower myself to some of the standards that are shown by this demographic. One can only feel some kind of sympathy for the Thais that are exposed to these people. I spent a great deal of my time trying to explain to Thais that not all 'farang' are like the northern English. In fact I even went as far as advising families not to allow their daughters to bring one home, purely over the whole loss of face thing within the village.

Enjoy your stay in the US. Maybe you could join a US visa forum - it might be more appropriate for your current location.

As for me, I'm about to join a Canadian forum and leave this one!

Ciao :o