Quit Smoking Without Using Any Medication

NigelBishop

Of course it is. As Mark Twain once said "Quitting smoking is the easy, I've done it a thousand times."

Actually, I now smoke, but quit for many, many years, without any medication. It wasn't too difficult. I had to change a number of habits though, I couldn't drink alcohol or coffee, which was hard (especially coffee). For about 2 weeks. When the craving came, I took really deep breaths--as deep as possible and held my breath as long as possible and then exhaled completely. That always got me through those rough times.

Then I started and a few years laters quit, this time with nicorette chewing gum. It was easier. After a couple weeks I was off the gum. I don't like chewing gum and the stuff isn't very tasty, so it wasn't very difficult.

Is it possible to quit smoking through natural methods, I mean without using those nicotine patch or medications. I don’t have much faith in medications.

Dear Nigel,

No magic cure has ever " made " any smoker quit smoking nicotine. The key to immediate and lasting abstinence is education and understanding not hypnosis , not acupuncture and not some over-the-counter nicotine product that teaches absolutely nothing while robbing 93%of those who toy with clean-nicotine of a valuable opportunity to master the core principles underlying years of nicotine dependency. If you decide to try some"alternative" remember, should all else fail, you always have you!

I smoked 1 to 2 packs of cigarettes a day for over 25 years. When I finally had enough of it I set a date one month in the future. I continued to smoke as usual until that day arrived (January 1, 2000). I then threw away the cigarettes and have never smoked another one since. That was 9 years 3 months and 3 days ago. One of the best things I have ever done.

Edited by Groongthep

NigelBishop.

I smoked 1 to 2 packs of cigarettes a day for over 45 years and im 60 next month .

in october 07 i had a very mild stroke due to the clogging of the arteries to my brain !

the doc in chiang mai ram hospital said do you want to live or die coz smoking is killing you !

i chose the first option

i stopped smoking in two weeks and never even think about smoking now.

you can do it ....

before YOU have a Serious stroke coz theres a bloke ( 60 ish ) who lives one floor down from me who had SERIOUS stroke not long ago and he cant talk , walk , s%it or shag and possibly never will again ?

do you want to be like that ? ... i know i dont !...... give it up man !

dave2

I think you will find it was very useful. It is the best information that can be given, it answered the OP's question unlike your post, which offered no help at all.

I agree. You just have to decide to stop.

Is it possible to quit smoking through natural methods, I mean without using those nicotine patch or medications. I don’t have much faith in medications.

Dear Nigel,

No magic cure has ever " made " any smoker quit smoking nicotine. The key to immediate and lasting abstinence is education and understanding not hypnosis , not acupuncture and not some over-the-counter nicotine product that teaches absolutely nothing while robbing 93%of those who toy with clean-nicotine of a valuable opportunity to master the core principles underlying years of nicotine dependency. If you decide to try some"alternative" remember, should all else fail, you always have you!

One session (50 minutes) of hypnosis stopped me in 1993 and I haven't smoked since.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Nigel,

One session (50 minutes) of hypnosis stopped me in 1993 and I haven't smoked since.

Ah, but was it really the hypnosis that stopped you or was it your will to stop?

Anger is what I used to quit. I smoked for over twenty five years and tried to give it up I don't know how many times, but fifteen years ago I had to have a hernia operation and I wasn't allowed to smoke for a few days before being admitted to hospital. I said to the missus, " If I can't smoke for a week I might as well give it away' I came back home after five days in hospital and as soon as I walked in the door I reached for the wifes' smokes. She sneered at me, "I thought you were giving up" with a butt hanging out of her mouth. I put the packet down and said to myself, "Well, f#ck you and f#ck the smokes" and I've never smoked again. Channel your rage against the filthy cigarettes, focus your anger at the government who gives lip service to the anti smoking lobby while kowtowing to the cigarette companies. Think about how much extra tax you are paying compared to the non smoker, and for what? Do you get better medical treatment for all that extra tax you've paid? Pigs Ar#e you do. If you are a smoker they refuse to operate on you in case you die and stuff up their batting average. Do yourself a favour and give it away. Keep telling yourself you're better than that. Don't let the bastards beat you.

• 4 weeks later...
I smoked 1 to 2 packs of cigarettes a day for over 25 years. When I finally had enough of it I set a date one month in the future. I continued to smoke as usual until that day arrived (January 1, 2000). I then threw away the cigarettes and have never smoked another one since. That was 9 years 3 months and 3 days ago. One of the best things I have ever done.

I noticed you know exactlley how many days you've stopped, but only a rough guestimate to how long you'd smoked. "Not smoking doesn't make you live longer. It only seems that way"

Don't give me to much sh*t!! First day in 28 years without a cigarette.

Gum's great, but makes the beer taste like dogs piss, also noticed not smoking affects your spelling!!

I noticed you know exactlley how many days you've stopped, but only a rough guestimate to how long you'd smoked. "Not smoking doesn't make you live longer. It only seems that way"

Don't give me to much sh*t!! First day in 28 years without a cigarette.

Gum's great, but makes the beer taste like dogs piss, also noticed not smoking affects your spelling!!

I stopped smoking January 1, 2000. It doesn't take much brains to figure out how long it's been since that date. It also doesn't take much to figure out that quiting smoking does help you live longer. Good luck on your efforts to quit.

Dear Nigel,

Ah, but was it really the hypnosis that stopped you or was it your will to stop?

The hypnosis stopped me. That's why I posted that the hypnosis stopped me.

Edited by endure

Yes, you can but it takes a lot of strong personal will power. I quit Aug 18th , 1971! Started when I was 12 years old. Smoking 2-3 packs a day "Camel" habit when I quit. You will "literally" need to go from one addiction to another. Try to pick a "healthy" one! I became a food and sugar junkie. Gained 50 pounds in 6 months. It was easier to loose the weight, which I did later. The withdrawals were the worst. Quit eating like a pig and started drinking like a fish. Stupid choice. Quit that too! Cold turkey, 19 years ago. Haven't looked back or had a regret. And look at all the money you can save. Good luck...you can do it if you really "want" too.

• 3 weeks later...

I smoked for 29 years and towards the end was smoking 40 + a day (Rollies). I used patches and combined with Ordinary Low calorie Minty Cheweing gum i have stayed off them for 18 months.

Then i went out got drunk and started smoking again.

Been smoking a month now and abvout to quit again On saturday ( set yourself a specific date)

I now KNOW it is possible to quit and i also know how much better my lungs were without the ciggies. I am well aware of the benefits and i am convinced i can quit again.

This time i will do it without any aids to help me other than my Orbit Chewing gum.

Before knowing i could do it?

No, i think not using the patches or the inhaler or the chewing gums or whatever aids there are available is a mistake unless you are exctremely strong willed or unless you have a VERY good reason to stop. ( EG health problem).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought, that's it, while having a cigarette between my fingers. Stubbed it out and never smoked again. That's true. 15 years ago and pre that, I smoked 13 years 1-2 packets a day.

First weeks were hard, but you can overcome it. After that you will NEVER have the desire to smoke again. You live without that. You do not care about cigarettes a bit. You have forgotten that.

If you really want it, you can do it. No one is telling you to smoke. It's only in your mind.

• 2 months later...
Is it possible to quit smoking through natural methods, I mean without using those nicotine patch or medications. I don't have much faith in medications.

I was smoking for over 25 years. The book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" By Allen Carr helped me quit without any problem. It's over an year now, since I quit.

First, make up your mind to quit - then read this book.

Hope to hear the good news soon - Good Luck to you!!!

• 3 weeks later...