Thai Immigration Introduces New TM-card

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I am being paranoid, but I would be careful about which income box you tick if you have a work permit and are paying taxes in Thailand. Thai tax law apparently requires one to pay income tax on all income that is earned or brought into the country. I know quite a few expats whose deal is to get paid a basic salary in Thailand (perhaps the minimum wage for their country) and the rest in their home currency, deposited to a home bank. And they are not living a 50,000 baht/month lifestyle!

Immigration is certainly getting computerised, and it would not be such a complicated database task to run a comparison of stated gross income in a tax return against the income stated on the immigration form. The immigration form fields are clearly set up to be entered into a database of some sort.

Exactly! Workers watch out!

I arrived back last night.

As I am non-thai and do not have a residence permit,

I ignored the questions on the back of the arrival card.

I do have a Non Imm O visa based on marriage and would be delighted

if that entitled me to a residence permit, but is does not.  Not yet anyway.

So the Thai Immigration does not consider me to be resident, do they?

If they meant "visitors", then they should say so.

There was no comment made at the immigration counter

Exactly! I filled it in on arrival last Saturday, reluctantly, but knowing what they really meant. Next time I'll ignore it, as they deserve.

I arrived back last night.

As I am non-thai and do not have a residence permit,

I ignored the questions on the back of the arrival card.

I do have a Non Imm O visa based on marriage and would be delighted

if that entitled me to a residence permit, but is does not.  Not yet anyway.

So the Thai Immigration does not consider me to be resident, do they?

If they meant "visitors", then they should say so.

There was no comment made at the immigration counter

Exactly! I filled it in on arrival last Saturday, reluctantly, but knowing what they really meant. Next time I'll ignore it, as they deserve.

As you should. :o

Maybe I am being paranoid, but I would be careful about which income box you tick if you have a work permit and are paying taxes in Thailand. Thai tax law apparently requires one to pay income tax on all income that is earned or brought into the country. I know quite a few expats whose deal is to get paid a basic salary in Thailand (perhaps the minimum wage for their country) and the rest in their home currency, deposited to a home bank. And they are not living a 50,000 baht/month lifestyle!

Immigration is certainly getting computerised, and it would not be such a complicated database task to run a comparison of stated gross income in a tax return against the income stated on the immigration form. The immigration form fields are clearly set up to be entered into a database of some sort.

Noted.

Thanks for the heads-up guys. :o

Noted.

Thanks for the heads-up guys. :o

As mentioned some time earlier I think many are getting their proverbials in a twist in reacting to the income requirement section in the form.I don't think it's anything to do with tax nosiness.Much more likely it's an attempt to get some form of read on type of visitor coming to Thailand which would then help TAT advise on tourist infrastructure etc.Many other countries find ways of checking this out.Not a big deal and that's why I imagine nobody really cares if you don't fill in.I shan't myself because I have PR.

As mentioned some time earlier I think many are getting their proverbials in a twist in reacting to the income requirement section in the form.I don't think it's anything to do with tax nosiness.Much more likely it's an attempt to get some form of read on type of visitor coming to Thailand which would then help TAT advise on tourist infrastructure etc.Many other countries find ways of checking this out.Not a big deal and that's why I imagine nobody really cares if you don't fill in.I shan't myself because I have PR.

You're one of the lucky ones.

Personally, I'd rather be cautious.

• 1 month later...

You're one of the lucky ones.

Personally, I'd rather be cautious.

• 6 years later...

I see that all these posts are from 2005...? Has anyone been as recent as the past few weeks...? and did you see or hear of any problems with the income requirement...? It really is none of there business how much money I make. Do they still require you to have a certain amount of cash on hand...? in the bank...? What if you are being met at the airport and someone has money for you...? What if you are driving with your friend that has just picked you up and you are not sure how long you will stay or where you will leave from...? Maybe I am missing something here...This is my first time out of the USA since 1979...And my first trip to Thailand...I keep hearing you need 40,000 baht to show immigration that you can sustain yourself...Who in there right mind would carry that much cash ANYWHERE, let alone in Bankok...? First timer here..Please be kind...Thanks.

For one person the requirement is 20,000 baht and if asked could be satisfied by ATM receipt or Credit Card but it is almost never asked. The TM is just a normal question that you would get asked on any application for anything here - no need to fill that backside information if you feel it intrusive.

Oh...and one more question...What if I check the "no income" box in the income requirement section...? (which is the truth) Do they throw you in prison...? send you packing back home...? just plain not let you in...? Why do they need to know this...? Just does not make sense...Someone said it right on here...The IRS can't even tell how much you make in a moments notice...In fact it takes them about a month just to read a form...Answer...? Thanks.

For one person the requirement is 20,000 baht and if asked could be satisfied by ATM receipt or Credit Card but it is almost never asked. The TM is just a normal question that you would get asked on any application for anything here - no need to fill that backside information if you feel it intrusive.

So you are saying all I need is $600.00 on me and I am good to go...? That I can deal with...Thanks so much...

It has already started as of January 1st. I already had to do this new one.

Quite interesting, but BEWARE of the section of your income. They have indicated from past posts that they are also going to want to verify it at some point of time at their discretion. That much I do know. As to when they will get to this point, I am only going to guess perhaps maybe 90 days or so from now once the rest of the Immigrations get familiar with this new setup and that they get their puters set up for the income verification and the other stuff that they ask now.

It is going to get tougher especially to the backpackers and others that cannot comply with their rules.

Daveyo

I did a business trip to KL last month and they were still using the older cards for entry into Hat Yai airport.

Edit: Should have checked the date on the post. Never the less the TM card for the trip mentioned had no requirement on income.

Edited by mallyrd

...Why do they need to know this...? ...

I believe it is for a statistical evaluation, so that the tourism ministry can publish information like x% of arriving tourists have an annual income over 100k dollars, y% over 50k dollars, etc.

I arrived from USA via Delta Airlines 2 days ago. The back of the arrival card was blank. No question about income.

Edited by mojaco