Detailed Map Of Chiang Mai

chuchok

Chuckchok, do you mean a street map, or a topographical type of map?

The only decent street map I've seen is the Bertelson Map that David Unkovich worked on, but that is still missing roads, especially newer ones, and the detail isn't really that great, mostly because of the limited physical size of the map.

I remember David telling that there are detailed Topography maps, but I can't remember for sure where he saif they're at. Maybe DK? Or Gekko Books?

Does anybody here know where I can find a detailed map of CM. Not just the old city, but the greater CM area.(Including outside the ring road) Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

The best available for your needs, ie, showing the ring roads, etc, are the several Thailand highway atlases put out yearly by various Thai publishers. The best (most readable and most detailed) is the one published by the Roads Association of Thailand. These are based on the Royal Thai Army survey maps but with additional, updated info. Way better than B&B's (David U's) city map of Chiang Mai, which is actually rather bad (the B&B regional map is better, but out of date). It does not show all the outer roads linking Chiang Mai. (No disrespect to David, who has done a fab job on his Mae Hong Son and Laos maps, but the B&B effort has a lot of shortcomings, eg, incorrect place names and a pitiful city map).

But any of the other several road atlases on the market will be OK, too. I have ones by three different publishers, keep one in each of two cars, plus one by my computer.

I just took a look at the large format, double-page map on pp 23-24 of my 2004 Thailand Road Atlas, showing all the roads around Chiang Mai. What's particularly helpful is that the road names are printed in Thai as well as Roman script. I can't find any obvious errors or omissions on it. By now I'm sure a 2005 version is available.

Suriwong Book Centre has the best selection of current Thailand road atlases.