What Exactly Is A "gik"?

dudeyone

mind you!

Losts of Thai uni students, too, speak Tinglish. some of them are educated, but it doesn't mean that their ENGLID will be proficient.

but couldnt agree more as you said lots of uni students are sugardaddies' part-time giks. :o

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fuc_k-buddy, yes. So much is true. But you still have to shell out the baht.. :o

So true! From what I have experienced it's a lot of wedge too!!!

New phones, new clothes, new shoes it's easier to visit a goldfish bowl!!

Not always.

Several of my male Thai friends have Giks. They do not pay a dime, or buy presents.

They meet their Giks once in a while and have a nice evening (and sometimes night) together.

Just as some of the members here stated, no strings attached. And absolutely no money involved.

I asked one pretty girl in our social circle why she didnt have any boy friend.

The answer was strait forward.

Too much hazzle with jealousy, etc, she replied. She rather have Giks. Then she can come and go as she wants.

A fuc_k-buddy, yes. So much is true. But you still have to shell out the baht.. :o

Uh, no. That would make him/her a whore.

Not so , whores shag free , it's prosyis that have enough brain to charge .

Is prosyis some sort of medical condition? :D

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whore

1: a woman who engages in sexual acts for money : prostitute ; also : a promiscuous or immoral woman

Edited by surface

• 2 years later...

Hahahaha, so is it ok to ask a girl to be your gik? Wonder if it goes down well when you basically ask her If she wants a shag. Suppose you would be getting straight to the point.

It goes down very well if she likes you, but has a more important project in her life, like finishing her studies at university, or an important job to finish.

A boyfriend is mostly seen as a hinderance, while a gik has the advantage of providing a good time and good sex without hijacking the girl's life and projects.

I was surprised at how easy it was to become a gik (several times now).

The gik thing is another great thing in Thai culture that the west is lacking.

:D

a gik has a few meanings. Usually it is someone that another person searches for to help them with something. Gik's could have sex, or they could just be there and sweet talk to each other without actually doing anything physically sexual.

Edited by Warhammer820

WOW, Times have changed, I remember just getting really excited when a girl let me hold her hand to cross the road....normally didnt happen for the first dozen dates or so.....i remember the first time it happened, i got a bit of a 'stiffy' and nearly couldnt walk to cross the street :o

LOL. Sadly such happy times are but a fading memory for myself.

Uh, no. That would make him/her a whore.

Not so , whores shag free , it's prosyis that have enough brain to charge .

Is prosyis some sort of medical condition? :D

http://www.merriam-w...ictionary/whore

1: a woman who engages in sexual acts for money : prostitute ; also : a promiscuous or immoral woman

While a slut is a woman that shags for free and a whore shags for money, it seems rather unfair that a man that pays for a shag is only a "John" ( and a man that shags for free isn't called anything, except perhaps lucky ). Surely there should be some equally derogatory terms for men ( in the interests of equality. of course )?

Talking to a few Thai friends of mine, they tell me that to them, "gig" or "gik" simply means just a close friend . . . it has nothing to do with any sexual relationship and that the word has been twisted over the years by farangs to mean more of a <deleted>-buddy, when the original meaning of it had nothing to do with sex.

Also, someone earlier mentioned "mia noi" . . . I'm told this (for the Thai's) means "mistress" or more commonly "2nd wife".

I also talked to thai people who said it meant that they could have intimate conversations or even have sex. I guess thai people are confused about it as well.

Talking to a few Thai friends of mine, they tell me that to them, "gig" or "gik" simply means just a close friend . . . it has nothing to do with any sexual relationship and that the word has been twisted over the years by farangs to mean more of a <deleted>-buddy, when the original meaning of it had nothing to do with sex.

Also, someone earlier mentioned "mia noi" . . . I'm told this (for the Thai's) means "mistress" or more commonly "2nd wife".

What is a Gik? Is it like a F buddy? Or open relationship? I am asking a thai girl to be my gik. I really dont see her being my girlfriend but wouldnt mind some companion fun.

I was told by a Thai friend that it is a "girl friend on the side"...what we would call a friend with benefits. The implication is that you meet for sex and whatever....no strings attached.

A whore by any other name basically.. :whistling:

While a slut is a woman that shags for free and a whore shags for money, it seems rather unfair that a man that pays for a shag is only a "John" ( and a man that shags for free isn't called anything, except perhaps lucky ). Surely there should be some equally derogatory terms for men ( in the interests of equality. of course )?

bs. that is the western definition of the word. all women who have sex do it for money. because women have no sex drive. FACT. debate it all you want.

Wrong. (Other than in some cases, a meal, drinks or even an occasional present etc).

My understanding is a 'gik' is a second wife, a woman on the side so to speak. It's not necessarily a sexual term but implies she's a second partner to a more permanent one. And from what I hear in practice the man usually gives some financial support. Seems to me most relationships are based on security and so one would expect the 'gik' to be in it for the benfits, rather than the pleasure.

No, that's a mia noi. A centuries old tradition (adapted a bit after the abolition of legal polygamy in 1935 -- no that long agoin historical terms).

Oops. Should have read all the way instead of being redundant. A bad habit.

Talking to a few Thai friends of mine, they tell me that to them, "gig" or "gik" simply means just a close friend . . . it has nothing to do with any sexual relationship and that the word has been twisted over the years by farangs to mean more of a <deleted>-buddy...

I think that's ridiculous. It has been interpreted many ways, by Thais. The sexual component is NOT invented by Farang nor fabricated in their own minds. Thais told me about this in Thai -- and I read Thais writing about it, long before I ever heard any Farangs using it or aware of it (not claiming none were or anything as silly as I was the first).

Typical. Seems to be 1) A classic attempt by Thais to blame everything on westerners/westernization and 2) A classic example of a Farang who buys into that stuff. There are many of both groups.

EDIT:

Forgot to point out that -- perhaps due to the more wide usage of the word and that by people of a more conservative attitude or younger age -- it does now indeed encompass a wide range of levels intimacy sometimes limited to holding hands.

But the sexual part was not made up by Farang.

The whole phenomena of open, casual, pre-marital sex being broadly accepted in mainstream Thai society is a fairly new thing. It stands to reason that a new word was coined -- by Thais -- for a new thing.

Edited by SteeleJoe

bs. that is the western definition of the word. all women who have sex do it for money. because women have no sex drive. FACT. debate it all you want.

LOL, both points in your post are BS.

No money involved for a gik

A bit "fleur bleue" you explanation - I don't know who you asked, but "gik" is mostly an urban and student/youth thing, so a Bangkok student will give you the best answer.

As for my giks, there is no doubt on what they meant when they used the word :-)

What SteeleJoe said.

Anything from blowing kisses across the office, to just meeting for dinner . . . all the way up to and including sex. Money has got nothing to do with it unless you want it to (notwithstanding that some people have to pay for The Gik Experience). It will probably come as no surprise that in this quintessentially Thai practice, the key active ingredient in Gikdom is kwaam sanook : Fun.

My understanding is a 'gik' is a second wife, a woman on the side so to speak. It's not necessarily a sexual term but implies she's a second partner to a more permanent one. And from what I hear in practice the man usually gives some financial support. Seems to me most relationships are based on security and so one would expect the 'gik' to be in it for the benfits, rather than the pleasure.

That is a mia noi = Minor Wife.

Gik is just a non exclusive fuc_k buddy.

I have a few giks in Bangkok. No money every exchanges hands. We fuc_k but we also do other things together as friends would. I don't bother them about who else they see and they don't bother me.

Gik is just mutual fun.

Not true at all. That is not a gik.

More like a hooker.

A gik isn't like a gf relationship. All my giks are more like friends. Difference is we just fuc_k a lot.

There are no gifts or money.

If you have to buy her a bunch of shit to fuc_k her then it isn't a gik. She is a hooker or a gold digger.

Not true at all. That is not a gik.

More like a hooker.

A gik isn't like a gf relationship. All my giks are more like friends. Difference is we just fuc_k a lot.

There are no gifts or money.

If you have to buy her a bunch of shit to fuc_k her then it isn't a gik. She is a hooker or a gold digger.

I guess we all agree that you know your way around the hookers.

The fact is that a Gik is given a "gift" once in a while.

It is expected that a "boyfriend" gives something once in a while.

Most of my friends have Giks, and absolutely all of them confirmed what I wrote here.

They do indeed buy their Giks a gift once in a while, and give them "money for taxi" sometimes too.

Why do all you poster think that there are set rules to art of love?

A gik is usally somewone you have fun with in the bedroom with no exchange of money. However a gik can become a mia noy and if she behaves herself maybe become a major. A gik can remain a gik. She may be struck off. You can help a gik out financially. Also your gik may help you out finacncially. There's no rules...

It's just a term. In English we say f-buddy.