Pollution In Chiang Rai

Jahil

Time to eat froglegs.

Saute garlic in a pan, low fire

wash the legs and cover them with flour.

Cook them in the pan with garlic and add some spices. No Salt No Pepper.

Enjoy!

Next thing you will be telling him that people eat snails too :)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the frogs that make all of that racket are so small that a leg feast isn't likely. Now if a guy could land a mess of bull-frogs, then he has some good eating. Some of those legs back home are as large as some of the chicken legs they serve here. And yes, as cmjantje says, they are a meal to enjoy.

However, VF could cook and serve those tiny frogs to his neighbors and he would probably become much more popular with them.

What do you do with the rest of the frog?

Always bothered me that.... :)

Sadly enough, in my case, the rest of the frog becomes turtle food in the sloughs, creeks or ponds where the frogs are gigged. There just isn't enough of anything left that is worth eating for me. I dunno what the commercial processors do with the rest of the frog. I doubt it is wasted. I have been involved with shipping enough frozen "leftover" parts of chickens, turkeys, pigs and cattle from processors to know that they don't waste anything. Lots of those parts go to pet-food manufacturers. Other pieces go to soup manufacturers or processed meat manufacturers. You never really know what you might get in your cream of chicken soup or that tasty chicken bologna. So far, I haven't run across any tasty frog bologna. Maybe they use the leftovers for fish food or fertilizer. Lots of aquatic life is used in different commercial fertilizer.

I think I had frog a couple of weeks ago, sort of tom yam frog. Its Gup or something right !? . I thought it was some sort of straw mushroom or something. tasted like, well mushroom I suppose. There used to be a couple of Frog farmers in the Village , never took much notice but they must be a sort of Bull frog I suspect....... Anyway, I Digress. Nice weather we're having today, roll on Winter :)

Thought that the problem was VillageFarang being aghast at the thought of people eating frogs legs instead of bangers and mash and khandadar wanting to eat French Fries. :)

Not to mention those who cannot be bothered cooking their fish :D

Edited by harrry

Thought that the problem was VillageFarang being aghast at the thought of people eating frogs legs instead of bangers and mash and khandadar wanting to eat French Fries. :)

Not to mention those who cannot be bothered cooking their fish :D

I am not sure where the rumor comes from concerning me wanting french fries. I suppose it has something to do with jubby. That guy is just all over me these days. I wish he would get on VF's back again and give me a break. I think VF even enjoys the torment a little bit.

I am never wanting for fries. I happen to have TWO imported french fry cutters. They are the type that accepts a whole potato and when you push down on the handle, the entire potato is instantly turned into nice french fry cuts of potato. The wife leaves the skins on, pre-cooks and then chills them and then, when I have gone enough days without (french fries, guys), she cooks up a mess of them. Perfect every time. The utensils work well for other veggies that are used in salads or other cooked dishes.

Now, if you're talking burgers, I am ALWAYS on the lookout for a better burger. Maybe that is where the french fry rumor comes from, with just a bit of mis-information added. It doesn't matter how good a burger a guy finds, he can always discover an even better one if he spends his life searching. That's what I do.

If I ever get brave enough, I will open a drive-in style burger place in CR that offers a good deal on a "bag of burgers" for take-away. I'll be my own best customer, for sure, even though it would cater to the youthful crowd on motorcycles. These kids need a place to hang out and listen to the style of music they enjoy. So, if anyone beats me to it, you will have at least this dedicated customer if you make a decent burger.

Okay, let see... Am I on topic here? I can't even remember what topic this thread is.

Oh, yes. Pollution. Well, it certainly is a clear day with a lot of fresh air here in CR, isn't it? (Hopefully, this is enough to pass the Scea test. This etiquette business has really caused me to be gun-shy about posting.)

• 2 weeks later...

Our area is pollution free and the views of the mountains are spectacular. Today on the way to town, however, I drove through two areas where the two-croppers were burning off what was left from their recent harvest, in preparation for the next crop.

Around here, where they still harvest but one crop by hand, large straw mounds are left sometimes for months before being burned. The mechanized harvest leaves long neat rows of highly combustible material, quickly set alight , that when lit produces a broad and pervasive wall of smoke only slightly less dense than the towering infernos around here.

Hopefully the rains will continue to do their cleansing job and keep our sky pristine.