10 Killed, 25 Injured In Road Accident In Kalasin

george

10 killed, 25 injured in road accident in Kalasin

KALASIN: -- A six-wheel truck modified for passenger transportation plunged into a construction hole on a road here early Sunday morning, killing 10 and injuring 25 others.

The truck driver and five others passengers died at the scene and four more died at a hospital.

The truck was transporting friends and relatives of a bridegroom from Yasothon to attend his wedding in Chaiyaphum when the accident occurred on the Kalasin-Roi Et Road in Kamalasai district at 2:30 am.

The hole was dug to build pillars of a bridge. Police said the driver apparently did not notice the construction site and did not put a brake on when the truck plunged down and hit into the pillars. Many passengers were pieced with steel bars of the poles.

-- The Nation 2009-03-08

Very sad story, but no surprise when you see the complete lack to put clear warning signs for constructions on roads. At night they are completely invisible, even on highway's. I dare say this is blatant criminal behaviour and they should hold the road construction company responsible and force them to pay an multi million Baht compensation. Maybe this will change their 'mai pen rai' attitude.

This also reminds me why I stopped driving at night. I had a few near accidents for the same reason.

Terrible tragedy,but why ohhh why do thais put so many people in a truck.

OOPS i rememberd,

MONEY

Wrong, very wrong. It is the lack of money. Piling in large numbers of people into trucks is often the only affordable manner for rural folks to provide transportation of large groups of people to and from important community social functions such as weddings and funerals. Usually the truck owner is a also a tambon local who provides the service for just over cost.

Dreadful unnecessry carnage and the worst is that the authorities won't give a toss and do little or nothing about doing something to avoid a similar accident.

I am surprised there are not more multiple fatalities on Thailands lunatic roads. A multiple fatality accident like this is a terrible thing to see....as I did once in Mozambique between 2 buses. One literally disintegrated and 26 died.

Deep condolances to the greiving families

10 killed, 25 injured in road accident in Kalasin

KALASIN: -- A six-wheel truck modified for passenger transportation plunged into a construction hole on a road here early Sunday morning, killing 10 and injuring 25 others.

The truck driver and five others passengers died at the scene and four more died at a hospital.

The truck was transporting friends and relatives of a bridegroom from Yasothon to attend his wedding in Chaiyaphum when the accident occurred on the Kalasin-Roi Et Road in Kamalasai district at 2:30 am.

The hole was dug to build pillars of a bridge. Police said the driver apparently did not notice the construction site and did not put a brake on when the truck plunged down and hit into the pillars. Many passengers were pieced with steel bars of the poles.

-- The Nation 2009-03-08

Very sad. Life never seems to get any more valuable here does it? All that was probably needed were a few flashing lights and some big signs placed an appropriate distance away. Why don't the pui yai's see it and show a bit of real leadership for a change?

The warning signs are a joke - what is it , black writing on a red background. Nearly impossible to see at night.

Wow, you get warning signs in Khon Kaen? Out here in the country (an hour from KK), all we get are one or two tiny tree branch snags (without leaves) set on the road to mark a construction site. Of course, totally invisible at night. That's all they use on the main Mahasarakham-to-Kalasin highway (#213), a heavily-traveled route.

All over Thai TV.

Not always. We had a horrendous bus accident a couple months ago just north of 'Sarakham. The front of the bus was completely obliterated, and bodies littering the road for many meters. Had to be over 20 deaths, and dozens seriously injured. Never made it to the media. I only knew about it because I drove by the carnage just after the accident.

The bus companies and gov't. have a vested interest in keeping this type of news out of the public media when at all possible. They already know that bus safety is basically unregulated, and few people in power like to draw attention to that.