Moving To Ban Chang

too true

Hello to all you fine eastern seaboarders.

I'm moving the fam down to Ban Chang soon and am sending darling husband down that way this weekend to start house hunting. He's just going to drive around and look for signs on gates and ask people he sees in the neighbourhoods. We're definitely NOT high end renters, and he's Thai so we're hoping he can find something cheaper than if I went along with him.

Thing is, he needs to rent a motorbike while there for a few days to get around. We've had problems before renting a bike in his name because he's Thai and they want a big deposit. Usually it goes under my passport. Does anyone know if there are motorbike rental shops in Ban Chang that will rent to Thai people the way they rent to tourists?

Cheers,

tt

Does anyone know if there are motorbike rental shops in Ban Chang that will rent to Thai people the way they rent to tourists?
I am not aware of any bike rental places at all in Ban Chang. Last year, I tried to rent a motorbike there, and was told there aren't any. I ended up having to rent one in Pattaya and drive it down.

I believe there are bike rental shops in Rayong on Sukhumvit. Just ask one of the motorbike taxi drivers. I think these shops are more geared towards Thais than the shops in Pattaya. However, I think you will pay a bit more in Rayong. You should expect to pay a 2000 baht deposit, and 1000-1200 baht per week. You're still looking at a 30 minute ride up Sukhumvit to get the bike to Ban Chang.

May I suggest a change in the title of this thread - "Moving To Ban Chang" sounds like another government initiative and will induce a great deal of distress amongst the forum's drinking community. :o

Jeez... :D At least if it were a government initiative I might get some money out of it :D Alas, it's only going to cost me money, not make me money (at first anyway).

Really no motorbike rental places??? This sounds disastrous! Perhaps we could find someone in the hotel who would rent us their own motorbike for 300 baht per day - it's no doubt more than they make in a day's work.

Hmmm. Must formulate plan B.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers,

tt

I guess if he's Thai then he should be able to chat it up a bit with the locals like taxi drivers and the small tuk tuk drivers. Might rent the tuk and driver for a week and he can show him around. If you don't know the area then having a local driver may be the way to go.

I guess if he's Thai then he should be able to chat it up a bit with the locals like taxi drivers and the small tuk tuk drivers. Might rent the tuk and driver for a week and he can show him around. If you don't know the area then having a local driver may be the way to go.

Yeah, he's pretty resourceful. After I told him the guys here said there isn't a motorcycle rental shop he rang the hotel we've booked ourselves in at and told the hotel guy the situation. They've arranged for him/us to have a bike for the weekend.

Now we just need to get to it and find a place to live.

cheers,

tt