Teaching Spanish In Thailand

TiTa

Hola, I'm Mexican and hoping to come to Thailand. Are there many Spanish teaching jobs available? Or, how difficult is it for someone who is not a native-speaker to get a job teaching English if, like me, they are fluent? Gracias, Tita

Hola, Tita. I have only met one Spanish teacher here, a university-trained chilanga who teaches at the oldest international school in Chiang Mai. I had two Thais who did foreign exchanges in Latin America, and only one of them wanted to learn Spanish at universidad. There is no demand for it, as far as I know, except at a few select unis or 'colegios' that are upper division international schools. I will bet they expect a profesora to have a major in Spanish. Besides those mentioned already, I only met one Thai, a tour guide, who spoke castellano. Hardly any demand for it.

English might work well for you. The vowel tones of castellano are almost the same as the main vowels of Thai, but with tones added. So, they might not notice an occasional meelk for milk. They cannot say initial sp- or st- well, so it is easier to say sapeak and satring, but not espeak or estring. :o

Buena suerte. Thais are about as much in favor of white skin as the Mexicans I lived with.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My friend at ramkhamheng learnt some spanish, i think someone i know did some spanish at Prince of Songkla Phuket, and they also teach it to some students doing southeast asian studies at thammasat. Try the universities rather than high-schools.