My Cat Likes Talcum Powder

My cat has a thing for talcum powder...not powdering her face and body with it (though she is a Thai cat) but eating it!

After I powder myself down after a shower, she often licks up powder that has fallen to the floor...ting-tong cat :o

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any danger from her ingesting this stuff and why might she be doing it?

Thanks for the link...but other than discussing the danger from inhalation and ingestion of the powder, it doesn't give any reason why these would be dangerous. I mean, most people don't ingest it but I (and most others) inhale some amount when sprinkling it liberally all over ourselves...and there are no warning labels on talcum power to my knowledge.

My assumption would be if it's safe for human inhalation (in small amounts) the harm to cats/dogs would be de-minimis.

Looks like it's not a good idea > Keep cats away from talcum powder

That's interesting and could well be correct, But I wonder what medical or vetinary source the writer obtained this information from?

Talcum powder, if inhaled by cats, increases the changes of feline lung problems. Whenever you use your talcum powder, make sure your cat is out of the bathroom. As you know, talcum powder puffs up and can fill the air for a long time, and the particles can be inhaled by your cat, resulting in the aforementioned lung problems—not fun.

It may seem self-evident, but you also should also avoid your cat eating talcum powder. Eating talcum powder could definitely cause damage to internal organs. If, however, your cat does ingest talcum powder, take it to the vet immediately. END QUOTE

My assumption would be if it's safe for human inhalation (in small amounts) the harm to cats/dogs would be de-minimis.

Why would you assume that what is relatively safe for humans would also be safe for cats? Just curious, because it is pretty well known that many things safe for humans can be deadly for your cat or dog.

there is a suspicion, that talcum (because is chemically similar to azbestos) can cause cancer if used on the private parts - ingestion would have far greater danger.

maybe there is some perfume in the talcum you are using, which is similar to catnip or there is some other mineral there which is lacking from your cat's food. Check the content on the packaging, you might find that meneral.

any mineral inhaled to lungs is dengerous in a long term, so better be careful when powdering

In humans the craving to eat minerals is called a pica. The effects of talcum powder pica is reported in one paper in PubMed:

Anderson JE, Akmal M, Kittur DS.

Surgical complications of pica: report of a case of intestinal obstruction and a review of the literature.

Am Surg. 1991 Oct;57(10):663-7.

Division of Renal Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Francis Scott Key Medical Center, Baltimore, Maryland 21223.

The authors describe a patient with chronic renal failure who developed intestinal obstruction from talcum powder pica. A literature review found 43 previously reported cases of surgical complications caused by various forms of pica. Most occurred in women, blacks, aborigines, children, or the mentally retarded--all groups in whom pica occurs more frequently than the general population. Intestinal obstruction was the most common clinical presentation and the ileum most often the site of obstruction reported at surgery. Perforation with peritonitis was the next most common presentation but three cases of colon perforation were diagnosed only at surgery or postmortem. Mixed pica (paper, plastic bags, cloth, string) seemed more likely to require surgery and to cause perforation. An accurate preoperative diagnosis was made most often when a history of pica was sought, and opacity on abdominal X rays correctly interpreted. These clues to pica as the underlying cause of abdominal complaints should not be neglected in patients who are members of the groups known to be at higher risk of this compulsive eating disorders.

Another study allowed rats to eat, feed and be inoculated with talc, but was so feeble I can't bring myself to cite it.

One more paper details a case which they term "pulmonary talcosis" which occurred in a woman following the "intentional sniffing of large quantities

of cosmetic talcum powder." (P D Goldbach, Z Mohsenifar, J L Abraham, W I Young, and W D Merrill "Talcum powder pneumoconiosis--diagnosis by transbronchial biopsy using energy-dispersive x-ray analysis." West J Med. 1982 May; 136(5): 439-442.)

I conclude that the effects of talcum ingestion are not well studied, but it is behaviour not to be encouraged in people or cats.

One note though - picas are often triggered by dietary deficiencies (e.g. iron) or parasitic infections - maybe you could address your cat's diet, some mineral supplement perhaps and get a vet's opinion.

A last point - I recommend that the first person to use this thread to suggest that powdering your pussy is a bad idea should receive a lifetime ban on the grounds of taste and decency.

Ok, the link I showed did not indicate any scientific data on it but the following seems to:

"1993 National Toxicology Program report which found that cosmetic grade

talc, without any asbestos-like fibers, caused tumors in animal

subjects.1 Clearly with or without asbestos-like fibers, cosmetic grade

talcum powder is a carcinogen."

Source: Preventcancer

and more here

I also wasn't aware of the risks and I use talc occasionally.

Why would you assume that what is relatively safe for humans would also be safe for cats? Just curious, because it is pretty well known that many things safe for humans can be deadly for your cat or dog.

True...

Driving for one thing - wouldn't let your cat drive, especially at speed, if I were you (it's a bugger to steer safely without opposable thumbs)

TV061.jpg

Edited by phaethon

in my cat's case, he likes alcohol (the blue one in the bottle i bought from Boots).I noticed this few days ago as every time i use it, he licks some on the floor. Sometimes even if i use cotton, he will still lick it. I already told my Vet said it could be lethal to my cat, if he drinks a lot.

My assumption would
be if it's safe for human inhalation (in small amounts) the harm to cats/dogs would be de-minimis.

first: talc powder in many infant powders, is actually cornstarch (corn flour in some countries its called, but not the polenta, but the starch) because talc is on the list of potentially dangerous powders -- there are several types of silicates and resembling silicates, cant rememer all the details but since i was a hygiene and safety manager for a glass factory, talc type powder was a real concern -- it was used in between some sheet glass from a specific countr. i spent weeks researching, sending to labs etc . in the end, we just gave an order to use masks for hazardous powders, erring ont he side of my hysteria.

every few years the us osh (occupational safety and health office) upgrades its standards of what is a dangerous powder and what is a potentially dangerous powder, using the shapes (crystals) and form of the powder as a guideline (i.e. the size of the flakes/crystals and how far in to the lungs they go and if they can be pushed out again by coughing. )

second: obstructions in the intestines happens very often in grazing animals like horses and deer and zebras, especially those that are in sand/powdery dirt areas; causing colic (sand colic) which can lead to death. carnivores dont usually have this since their meals dont grow in dirt, but it is know to happen to those that eat dirt/rock/gravel. talc that is actually talc and not corn flour might have the same affect.

OTH, i have yet to find a dog that doesnt like to lick creams/lotions/sunscreens off of our skin/or floor.

u could request the MSDS (material safety data sheet) from the company or from merck if the chemical name is written on the box... search the net, mercks sheets are open to the public.

bina

israel