Koh Lanta-best Beach And Why?

EASYDOGG

I will soon start a week long discovery mission on Koh Lanta. What beach would you recommend me and why? My budget is no more than 2,5000 baht a night, but 500 baht huts are sweet too!

Thanks in advance.

Long beach which is the 2nd one down I think, beautiful long beach which is great for walking, running, sunbathing, beach volleyball and the sea is great too, gets deep quite quick but no current or big waves so ideal for swimming, snorkelling. Accommodation is good as well, many different types from 300-3000 baht and some great bars, restaurants. But all of Lanta's beaches are nice.

I will soon start a week long discovery mission on Koh Lanta. What beach would you recommend me and why? My budget is no more than 2,5000 baht a night, but 500 baht huts are sweet too!

Thanks in advance.

Long beach which is the 2nd one down I think, beautiful long beach which is great for walking, running, sunbathing, beach volleyball and the sea is great too, gets deep quite quick but no current or big waves so ideal for swimming, snorkelling. Accommodation is good as well, many different types from 300-3000 baht and some great bars, restaurants. But all of Lanta's beaches are nice.

"But all of Lanta's beaches are nice"

This time of year, mostly yes. Low season the sand goes away.

I like Kantiang Bay. Big beach and some reasonable accommodations around (except for Pimilai, over the top expensive!). Kantiang Bay View Resort actually offers all the accommodations you describe in one resort. Beach Front at 2200thb a night or the old style bungalow with fan at 500. Probably can bargain with them too if they are not full.

Hi Easydog,

It depends what you want to discover on Lanta really.

Longbeach is for discovering the busy bars and resturants.

Klong Dao is good if you want to stay close to Saladan and the main commercial areas, and plan on diving a lot, as not too much of a commute.

Klong Kong is nice and quiet, as is Klong Nin which is quiet but has more shops and an ATM, and the morning market.

Kiantiang Bay is lovelly too, as are the little beaches between Klong Nin and it. there is also a dive shop that runs directly out of Kiantiang.

Bamboo Bay is for getting away from it all down the end of the road. Go Dive have an office there too, or a rep, but their boat is in Saladan, but they pick you up.

If you dive whover you dive with will pick you up.

There is also the "other side", don't discount the Old Town.

You should have no probs finding anywhere under 2500 Baht. Expect hot water, tv and air-con for that, even a mini fridge.

Have fun in Lanta, I hope you discover what you are looking for.

Hi Easydog,

Klong Dao is good if you want to stay close to Saladan and the main commercial areas, and plan on diving a lot, as not too much of a commute.

Klong Kong is nice and quiet, as is Klong Nin which is quiet but has more shops and an ATM, and the morning market.

Kiantiang Bay is lovelly too, as are the little beaches between Klong Nin and it. there is also a dive shop that runs directly out of Kiantiang.

Bamboo Bay is for getting away from it all down the end of the road. Go Dive have an office there too, or a rep, but their boat is in Saladan, but they pick you up.

You should have no probs finding anywhere under 2500 Baht. Expect hot water, tv and air-con for that, even a mini fridge.

Cheers Redfish...are you 44? Ha ha. I am well aware that there is loads of 'backpacker accom under B2500, i.e B500, but as the lady is with me I will go for something nicer! Cheers for all your info......I reckon I'll head to Kaw Kwang beach resort to start with, quiet and it's top of island near pier, then try Long beach after, what do u reckon?

I visited Kiantiang Beach a couple of years back and went diving with a shop based in one of the resorts on the same beach. Really liked the beach and thought the quality of the accomodation was good, I think it was the Kiantiang beach resort.

Found the beach a little quieter but I guess it depends on what you are looking for?

Hi Easydog,

Cheers Redfish...are you 44? Ha ha. I am well aware that there is loads of 'backpacker accom under B2500, i.e B500, but as the lady is with me I will go for something nicer! Cheers for all your info......I reckon I'll head to Kaw Kwang beach resort to start with, quiet and it's top of island near pier, then try Long beach after, what do u reckon?

That sounds like a good plan.

Also if you are after a little nightlife, maybe some seafood in Saladan town, you're doing the right thing.

My advice? The further south you get the better it gets. I prefer Kantiang Bay, as it's more secluded, yet not completely removed from the rest of the island. When you're there try the Drunken Sailors coffeeshop - amazing food! Best burgers on Lanta too.

I've never enjoyed Long Beach myself as it always seemed either crowded (with Scandinavian families mostly) or deserted - depending on the time of year. Still I know many who swear by it. It's also the location of the Red Snapper restaurant, which is a major redeeming quality.

Do yourself a favor, wherever you stay, rent a motorbike and ride the island. The roads are good all the way along the east coast, and most all the way down the west. A nice lunch in Old Town is always one of my recommendations.