Pet Lovers: What Have You Got?

udon

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frontline works for about 5 minutes if you live near the beach or have a grass garden, it didn't matter what I tried I couldn't get the ticks of my dogs, used to spend about 1 hr a day picking the bloody things out of their fur & between their toes & under the pads of their feet (& how do the things get so far as under their collars???!!!))) There is some thing you can buy in Europe (not sure if sold in TL) that is electronic & you run it over your dog & it emmits a frequency that makes the fleas & ticks fall off, but personally I think it's a running battle & the only real solution is daily checks & regualr shampooing (every 2 weeks) combined with spraying or powder every few days (hard work overall)

I'm starting to wonder if owning a dog in LoS is a good idea. :o

certainly some breeds aren't suitable for the thai climate at all and suffer from heat and humidity and all those kind of diseases and parasites, it's sad to see huskies and st bernards etc. lying around lethargically... some people at least keep their hair trimmed short. also lack of roaming space and quick exhaustion due to the heat is not healthy.

be also aware that breeders in thailand very rarely care about inbreed or genetic diseases and only think of the profit they make of this little rottweiler or golden retriever, so if you buy a puppy it can easily turn out very expensive with all these vet runs and treatment for inherited problems like for example hd or dermatitis.

why not stick with the local dogs, they come in many colours and sizes and if you have them as a puppy they can be trained easily and make lovely and intelligent pets. also thai breeds like the bangkaew or thai ridge back are beautiful dogs and of course accustomed with the climate. it also seems theuy can cope better with the bloodparasite which is transmitted through the almost inevitable ticks.

I've got a mini-schanuzer that I was able to buy here. She's really good at catching the mice that on ocassion will get into the home from nearby fields. Good all around pet and watchdog. She's my baby, that's for sure.  :D

schatz1.jpg

Cute pup.... but that stare looks rather disturbing with the redye blacked out like that. :D

cv

Okay, ya got me. My photoshop editing needs a wee more practice. Thanks for the compliment though.

:o

Just use the desaturation tool on the eyes only, this will remove all colour but leave the tones.

There are better ways, but this is quick and easy

This may be the DQotD (Dumbest Question of the Day), but where is it possible to buy pets in Bangkok? I've always had pets (dogs, cats, turtles, dwarf bunnies, etc) until i came to Bangkok. I also had a parrot for several years until i released it in a remote tropical region of South America where it joined a new family. I couldn't stand having it look at freedom every day but not being able to go free. A sad/happy moment :D

For some reason, i've been to busy to look around in Bangkok until now, but now that i'm looking - i can find very very few shops that sell pets. :o And those that i've found only sell dogs or cats and i'm looking for something else, i guess (lizard perhaps? or a parrot again). Can anyone give me some advice? What/where is jjplaza?

:D

I am wondering if anybody can help me out.I am trying to find breeders of the fila brasileiro in Thailand.I know there are at least 2 breeders but cant find any info.I do know their names.Someone told me to look in chatuchak magazine.Apparently it is a magazine run by the owner of a pet shop in chatuchak markets.Has anyone seen this magazine or heard of any breeders of the above mentioned dogs.Any info would be greatly appreciated.

JJ PLAZA. is off KAMPHAENG PHET 2 rd.

KAMPHAENG PHET RD. Runs east-west, not to be confused with

KAMPHAENG PHET 2 rd which runs north - south alongside JJ Plaza.

Take a photo of a parrot with you and show it to the first hawker on the west side of the rd after you leave the station, walking north

Link http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...568&hl=jj+plaza

We are moving to Hua Hin in June/July this year. We will be looking for a Golden Retriever pup once we are settled. We've been warned against in-breeding with Retrievers. in Thailand. Does anyone know where we can find Retriever puppies that are OK?

I have a Shar-pei (Chinese fighting dog) called Henry. He is great except he fights all the soi dogs, which isnt a bad thing as there are so many but is a nightmare for the missus as he pulls her around everywhere. I have had afew problems with him though but he is ok now. Did anyone else find the vet bills ridiculously high?.....

• 9 months later...

I have a 40 kilo Thai Tigress.

She lives on a diet of Chillies,Noodles and Rice.

She likes to be shampooed with Pantene and have a claw manicure at least once a week..

Enjoys a saucer of JW Black.

Occasionaly cries to be let out and disappears until early morning when she comes back and sleeps all day,waking occasionaly to check her bowl.

Can be very fierce when provoked.

:D

They are probably giant tabbies by now, Ckeck the date of Pat's post.  :o

We are moving to Hua Hin in June/July this year. We will be looking for a Golden Retriever pup once we are settled. We've been warned against in-breeding with Retrievers. in Thailand. Does anyone know where we can find Retriever puppies that are OK?

I have a 9 month old female Golden pup we have had since she was 2 months old and she is fine. My wife read several of the magazines (Thai language), made some calls and we looked at several before buying. If possible, have a vet go with you to check the dog out before you buy. I would be interested in what exactly you were warned against as we are very happy with our little (23 kg) pup.

I would advise you to get a golden that has a certified pedigree (registered with the Thai Kennel club). A pure blooded golden (or lab) are normally jai dee mak. They normally cost somewhere between THB 10,000 -15,000. You will find a lot of people telling you that the dog they are selling is a pure blood, but then they never can produce any papers to prove it. We were able to track our dog's ancestry back to the US via the internet (fun to do with the kids).

Please note that at roughly 2 months old, they will put a microchip into the dog with its number and this should be given to the Thai Kennel Club to update the dog's papers (if the breeder doesn't do it before you buy the dog). They used to tatoo the dog's number on the inside of the ear or stomach, but that hurt the dog. The microchip method (soon to be used throughout Bangkok) doesn't seem to hurt the dog (at least it didn't hurt ours).

Good luck. While goldens are the worst guard dogs in the world, they are wonderful family dogs.

I would advise you to get a golden that has a certified pedigree (registered with the Thai Kennel club). A pure blooded golden (or lab) are normally jai dee mak. They normally cost somewhere between THB 10,000 -15,000. You will find a lot of people telling you that the dog they are selling is a pure blood, but then they never can produce any papers to prove it. We were able to track our dog's ancestry back to the US via the internet (fun to do with the kids).

Please note that at roughly 2 months old, they will put a microchip into the dog with its number and this should be given to the Thai Kennel Club to update the dog's papers (if the breeder doesn't do it before you buy the dog). They used to tatoo the dog's number on the inside of the ear or stomach, but that hurt the dog. The microchip method (soon to be used throughout Bangkok) doesn't seem to hurt the dog (at least it didn't hurt ours).

Good luck. While goldens are the worst guard dogs in the world, they are wonderful family dogs.

Our GR is about 4 months old and no mention of any microchips. Maybe because we are in Khon Kaen. but it was only 4500 baht - full pedigree+papers. Are they really 10,000 baht in Bangkok?

I had a really nice Black Poodle her name was of course "Blackie". When we moved back to Bangkok, we had to find a new home for her as the place I live is strict about "No Dogs". So we went and bought one of those enormous Aquariums and its full of fish and a Lobster.

Here we have my little mutt in its natural environment: Hunting for food from unsuspecting picnickers along streams and waterfalls.

She's very successful at it. On good days we don't even have to feed her much in the evening. :o

post-6796-1133849311_thumb.jpg

post-6796-1133850046_thumb.jpg

post-6796-1133849333_thumb.jpg

BTW we got her free.. I don't think I would ever pay money for a dog, when dogs seem so plentiful. And when you have one that's female you basically never have to buy another dog as you just breed a bunch. :D

This one is very small for the breed; probably not genetic as all her siblings turned into big beasts. This one just stayed puppy/adolescent size from having bigger, badder dogs steal most of her food. (Before we got her).

I kind of like dogs this size though, and they're far less intimidating to other people; everybody loves her. (And the other way around.. Golden Retrievers are utterly useless for anything except looking cute.) So when breeding I wonder if I should seek out a male dog that's also not huge and see if it'll result in more sensibly sized golden retrievers? Even people who normally don't like dogs seem to like this one.

Edited by chanchao