Pet Lovers: What Have You Got?

udon

I would advise you to get a golden that has a certified pedigree (registered with the Thai Kennel club). A pure blooded golden (or lab) are normally jai dee mak. They normally cost somewhere between THB 10,000 -15,000. You will find a lot of people telling you that the dog they are selling is a pure blood, but then they never can produce any papers to prove it. We were able to track our dog's ancestry back to the US via the internet (fun to do with the kids).

Please note that at roughly 2 months old, they will put a microchip into the dog with its number and this should be given to the Thai Kennel Club to update the dog's papers (if the breeder doesn't do it before you buy the dog). They used to tatoo the dog's number on the inside of the ear or stomach, but that hurt the dog. The microchip method (soon to be used throughout Bangkok) doesn't seem to hurt the dog (at least it didn't hurt ours).

Good luck. While goldens are the worst guard dogs in the world, they are wonderful family dogs.

Our GR is about 4 months old and no mention of any microchips. Maybe because we are in Khon Kaen. but it was only 4500 baht - full pedigree+papers. Are they really 10,000 baht in Bangkok?

I think at THB 4,500 you got a great deal on the GR. We checked several places (in Bangkok) and the ones that had pedigrees were normally in the THB 10,000 to 15,000 range. I don't know, maybe we got ripped off, and when you factor in what it cost us for the obedience school she ended up being quite expensive. Still, it has been money well spent. Incidentally, the trainers at the obedience school are military from Korat so should you want to train your dog this should be relatively cheap for you as well.

On the microchips, they are going to start doing this for all dogs in Bangkok, little by little. I am sure it has something to do with keeping track of strays, but not sure how that will work. They have been putting microchips in for pedigrees instead of the tatoo for awhile in Bangkok. Still, at the end of the day, unless you are going to enter the GR into shows or breed him/her, the number thing really isn't important. We only did it because the vet at the obedience school could do it, making it convenient, although now it sounds like it will be mandatory for all dogs in Bangkok at some point.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that a broom stick is cheaper than obedience school. :o

Nah, just kidding. My Golden grew up on a farm among the mean farm dogs and never got any training whatsover. Still she does everything right just by nature. She doesn't jump at people, she doesn't lick, she doesn't beg for food, she doesn't come into the house, she comes over when called, she doesn't jump out of the pick-up even when you go shopping for an hour.. perfect.

(I bet people used the broom stick method though, because even though I never seriously hit the dog, every time I grab some kind of stick/pole shaped object she gets the F. out of my way. :D This made learning to fetch sticks a challenge at first.. Just had to start out with sticks the size of tooth picks, then work my way up the scale.

Pedigree... I don't know and don't really care. At least one of my dog's parents was apparently imported directly, but really I couldn't care less as long as a dog is fit, active and well behaved.

We have three box terrapins and a few village cats that we feed daily.

I think that all dogs should be either outlawed in Thailand or have their vocal cords removed! Or the owners sent to obedience school.

Where would I get a pet snake from? Nothing big or exotic. Something like a rat snake.

post-10613-1133875867_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of our little puppy named Tong Saa and her mother Mae Noi. We bought Mae Noi when we got married back in 1987 when she was only about 12 years old. At that time I wanted to name her Lolita but for some reason I got vetoed by my father-inlaw in favor of a Thai name. Alas, we had to finally sell the pair as it became difficult for independently owned elephants to find work and my father-inlaw has long been retired as one of Chiang Mai's better known mo boraan for elephants, blessedly replaced by real vets. They now belong to my sister-inlaw. You can see both at the Mae Saa elephant camp. That is my son leg wrestling with Tong Saa.

post-9366-1133899655_thumb.jpg

I find that a broom stick is cheaper than obedience school. :o

Nah, just kidding.  My Golden grew up on a farm among the mean farm dogs and never got any training whatsover.  Still she does everything right just by nature.  She doesn't jump at people, she doesn't lick, she doesn't beg for food, she doesn't come into the house, she comes over when called, she doesn't jump out of the pick-up even when you go shopping for an hour.. perfect. 

(I bet people used the broom stick method though, because even though I never seriously hit the dog, every time I grab some kind of stick/pole shaped object she gets the F. out of my way. :D  This made learning to fetch sticks a challenge at first.. Just had to start out with sticks the size of tooth picks, then work my way up the scale.

Pedigree... I don't know and don't really care.  At least one of my dog's parents was apparently imported directly, but really I couldn't care less as long as a dog is fit, active and well behaved.

Your dog is definitely cute, and probably better behaved than mine, despite the obedience school as we spoil her. I fully understand your thoughts on pedigree, but we had extenuating circumstances. We wanted a bigger dog than dog #1 (not a pedigree) and we wanted to make sure the big dog wouldn't be a danger to the children in the family compound. GR's and Labs have been bred to be gentle, so the pedigreed GR fit exactly what we were looking for. As she has come back from the obedience school much bigger than when she left, the kids love her, but now I have to work on the maids.

> Does anyone have a Boxer dog? I'm just wondering

> how they cope with the weather.

I think they would?? Anything that's not huge and/or long haired should be just fine here.

Cheers,

Chanchao

It seems that most of the dogs favoured by Thais are the ones with thick and curly hair.

That has been my experience as well. While visiting my GR at the obedience school (she was there for 3 months), I saw many, many dogs. People would bring their dogs to swim or be trained during weekends. I was very surprised to see how many huskies there were. I have seen more here than I have anywhere else. None appeared to be having any problems with the heat. I guess, like humans, animals get used to it.

Fish are just convenient for me, easy to keep and can leave them a week to go on holiday with no worries about feeding. Next year I will be starting an aquarium based on just fish and plants from Thailand I think.

DSC04586.jpg

DSC04579.jpg

Edited by bkkmadness

My dog was the best friend I ever had and I will have. He died 3 years ago, and still tears come to my eyes when I remember him...

Well glauka stop talking...(otherwise I will cry and I am working at the moment)

Nanook Thank you for your friendship!!!

> Does anyone have a Boxer dog? I'm just wondering

> how they cope with the weather.

I think they would?? Anything that's not huge and/or long haired should be just fine here.

Cheers,

Chanchao

It seems that most of the dogs favoured by Thais are the ones with thick and curly hair.

That has been my experience as well. While visiting my GR at the obedience school (she was there for 3 months), I saw many, many dogs. People would bring their dogs to swim or be trained during weekends. I was very surprised to see how many huskies there were. I have seen more here than I have anywhere else. None appeared to be having any problems with the heat. I guess, like humans, animals get used to it.

I think huskies might be a special case. Don't they have a double coat that works a bit like a thermos flask? It keeps them warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather.

We have a ten month Golden Retriever named Cookie. All the kids love him and he holds two local records. He is the biggest dog in the area and is still growing. He also has been beat up by all the rest of the dogs. He just can't understand why the other dogs want to beat him up and not play with him. It's a good thing that we have two rai with a wall around the whole thing. The neighbor has rice across the road and where there is water you will find Cookie. When there was water in the field the wife would get angry because he was always muddy and wet. The family has a farm pond and he loves to swim with my wife's seven year old nephew. The boy goes under the water and so does the dog. :o

Edited by Gary A

Fish are just convenient for me, easy to keep and can leave them a week to go on holiday with no worries about feeding.  Next year I will be starting an aquarium based on just fish and plants from Thailand I think.

DSC04586.jpg

DSC04579.jpg

BKM , nice work.

Can you give us some idea of costs to set up the same in LOS?

Size of tank etc.

You're in the right country for Troppos, millions are exported every year from Th.

cheers

Can you give us some idea of costs to set up the same in LOS?

@ maddy nice aquarium ... love it

@ people .. if u want it .. go to " talad sunday" ( sunday market) at JJ weekend market ( jatutak /chatuchak)

you will have a good price with aquarium stuff :o:D