100 Tests Of English?

A book called something like "100 tests of English" is being used by the Thai English Teachers at my school. I could tell you about this book in great detail, but I think the title tells you all that you really need to know :D .

Last Friday a P5 or P6 student came up to me and asked me what the correct answer for one of the questions should be. The subject of this particular test was opposites and the sentence was something like: "Are you telling the truth or the _____ story."

After scratching my head for a moment I told him that the and story should not be there and the correct answer was "a lie". A few minutes later he came back and told me that his teacher had told him that was not correct. Well, :o I know that criticizing a Thai teacher would be political suicide, so I finally said 'Mai roo!', and went on to my next class.

One of the other NES teachers took a look at the book a couple of months ago and told the administration that the book was riddled with similar errors, however, it looks as though they are using it anyway! :D Has anyone else run into this book? AND!!! Any advice on how to handle questions from students?

Actually, as I wrote this I came to a comclusion about how I will handle any questions from students. To ###### with politics, the RED PEN will come out!

A few years ago I was helping my Thai niece do her English homework. A few weeks latter her Thai English Teacher sent a note home requesting that I not help her as my answers I gave were wrong, so I corrected her letter for spelling and punctuation and sent it back.