Free Train Rides

dbrenn

I took a train to Ayutthaya yesterday, and noticed that all 3rd class travel on Ordinary (not Rapid or Express) trains is free for Thais. It is possible to travel from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, for example, without paying anything.

Looks like the new government is trying to win over the masses. What may not have been an intended outcome of this newfound charity towards the poor is that the train was full of red shirts on their way to a gig in Ayuthaya ...

The only party worked for benefits of poor Thais was Thai Rak Thai.

When they were down by a coup 3 years ago, their new parties worked for the poor, too.

They know that the poor Thais are the majority in Thailand. Who improved their lives and see their value as human beings will win their votes.

The only party worked for benefits of poor Thais was Thai Rak Thai.

When they were down by a coup 3 years ago, their new parties worked for the poor, too.

They know that the poor Thais are the majority in Thailand. Who improved their lives and see their value as human beings will win their votes.

I stand corrected. Thought this was a new initiative, as I don't recall free travel advertised when I last took a train around a year ago. I'm not sure when the scheme was introdced, but the posters in the railway station indicate that it was due to expire in January and was extended - presumably by the present government.