Eggs

briley

This time last year they gave eggs away, but when they weren't eggs in the market were about 15 baht for 10.

In November they had crept up to 20 baht for 10

Yesterday they were pushing 30 baht for 10 (actually 29)

Anyone any clue what is causing this rampant inflation? - not sure I'll be able to enjoy an egg with my imported bacon soon :o

Mark

This time last year they gave eggs away, but when they weren't eggs in the market were about 15 baht for 10.

Anyone any clue what is causing this rampant inflation? - not sure I'll be able to enjoy an egg with my imported bacon soon  :o

Mark

Maybe you should try paying 2 Euro's for 6 again :D

Anyone any clue what is causing this rampant inflation? - not sure I'll be able to enjoy an egg with my imported bacon soon  :D

Mark

I guess you weren't watching the news... We had a thing called 'bird flu' which ended in the death of a few zillion chickens... And, since these 'eggs' you're referring to come from chickens, there were far fewer eggs in the market....

Next lesson: Market Economics 101- Supply and demand and their effect on market pricing...

:o

unless there has been a recent large cull, then I don't thnk that bird flu is responsible for the price increase. Egg prices have been steadily increasing for the last 2-3 months. Up more than 50% from lows in October November. I've no idea why.

It's been rising a lot longer than the last 2-3 months around here, and that is the reason here in CM. Maybe somebody is doing it to you for a different reason. :o:D

Edited by Ajarn

Bird flu was last year and gave us free eggs - mind the cheapest I got was 1 baht an egg.

And I know the price of eggs in the UK - but the UK egg price has been reasonably static over the last 2 or 3 years. And other contries egg price should, presuably, have little or nothing to do with the price in Chaing Mai.

And the current egg price is nearly double that before the bird flu.

Hence my wonder as to why the price has gone up so much? Must be causing problems for Thai's especially thos providing roadside food at the fixed 10 or 20 baht price.

Mark