British Expat Killed In Head-on Collision

george

British expat killed in head-on collision

KARON, PHUKET: -- A British man was killed after his SUV slammed into a six-wheel truck in the early hours of Wednesday, March 18.

Colin Richmond, 51, is thought to have died instantly in the crash, which happened at 1.30am at the Koktanode Junction on Patak Road in Kata.

When he tried to overtake another car, his Toyota Sport Rider moved into the path of an oncoming truck laden with bottled drinking water.

Chalong Police Duty Officer Tianchai Duangsuwan said there was no blood inside the car and that the apparent cause of death was a broken neck.

“We’re waiting for results from the forensic team, including blood alcohol levels,” he said.

Tests have already shown that 60-year-old truck driver Hokkee Prachumpan was sober at the time of the crash. After questioning, police allowed him to go home.

“We are sure that Mr Hokkee, who lives in Rawai, will not flee. We will ask him to come to the police station after the evidence proves who was at fault,” Lt Tianchai said.

British Honorary Consul Martin Carpenter said Mr Richmond lived in Thailand, dividing his time between stays in Phuket and Koh Samui.

His body is now in Vachira Hospital. His next of kin have been informed of his death and are now making funeral arrangements.

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-03-20

oh jeez....i know colin...or a colin richmond anyway. dam_n! uh what a way to find out. anyone out that way know or have contact details for Vachira Hospital or local authorities for this sort of thing?

or does someone out there know colin? would like to find out if this is the same colin i know. chances of course are yes but richmond is relatively common name i suppose. any info would be appreciated.

thx

Edited by AnthonyR1

the news report claims this man spent half his time in Koh Samui & half in Phuket, does that sound like your friend OR perhaps this is more inaccurate reporting?

I couldnt imagine that there would be too many colin richmonds around that age group living in Thailand.

RIP

oh jeez....i know colin...or a colin richmond anyway. dam_n! uh what a way to find out. anyone out that way know or have contact details for Vachira Hospital or local authorities for this sort of thing?

or does someone out there know colin? would like to find out if this is the same colin i know. chances of course are yes but richmond is relatively common name i suppose. any info would be appreciated.

thx

Hi Anthony,

I know Colin, though haven't seen him for about a year. If you pm me I might be able to help you at least figure out if he is the Colin you know.

I would like to offer my sincere condolences to his family and friends. Colin was a witty, outgoing and personable man and his life being cut so short is a real tragedy.

RIP Colin.

Ausladyinpatong

the news report claims this man spent half his time in Koh Samui & half in Phuket, does that sound like your friend OR perhaps this is more inaccurate reporting?

I couldnt imagine that there would be too many colin richmonds around that age group living in Thailand.

RIP

yes, colin moved to samui a while a go to pursue hotel and property development.

Ausladyinpatong....PM sent.

I did not know Colin, but May he rest in Peace. My condolences to all his friends and Family.

And to those that would try to make this into a "Falang At Fault" and "Falang will Pay" scenario, please lets wait until something to that effect has been reported. Let the Family and friends grieve first before you start throwing Jabs. JMHO.

just tried to call the british embassy but they are closed for the day

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

The British Embassy close early on a Friday, but there is an out of hours consular officer on call for emergencies.

just tried to call the british embassy but they are closed for the day

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

The British Embassy close early on a Friday, but there is an out of hours consular officer on call for emergencies.

Thanks,

i'll call back monday.

whoa...this thread got picked clean????

odd

Everybody here knows HOW the most Farangs driving, even at nightime, often in way too small or bad streets, VERY often drunk......ANYWAY, I will NEVER NEVER NEVER understand WHY humans have to transport water by trucks over montains like here in Phuket......I bymyself was involved in a heavy accident with one of these f....ng trucks nightime, car damaged totally, they drive like idiots.....btw, there is a waterpipeline from Karon to Kata and Rawai already.....guess its cheaper using trucks....but this only a Thai can answer

REST IN PEACE Collin, my condolences to family and friends

I did not know Colin, but May he rest in Peace. My condolences to all his friends and Family.

And to those that would try to make this into a "Falang At Fault" and "Falang will Pay" scenario, please lets wait until something to that effect has been reported. Let the Family and friends grieve first before you start throwing Jabs. JMHO.

regardless who is at fault a person has died and my condolences to his family. From what I read he was just a down to earth sort of bloke who had built a life here in thai. RIP mate even tho I never knew you..

A very sad accident.

But i wonder, if this had been the thai man dieing of an accident coused by the foreigner, what would the history be? I read some weeks ago about a farang

who killed a young thai man in an accident (Caused by thai man who was appearently driving without lights at night, in the wrong

side of the road and not wearing a helmet), The farang was arrested and the thai family now seeks about 14 million baht in damages ? Are

accients different? Will the Brits family now be able to claim a big sum from the thai

mans insurance company ?

Why is this a story? What does this have to do with Thai-visa? Why even mention this any way when there are more stories to discuss and more important.

A Brit dies in a stupid accident and it is a story a Texan is murdered in Chang rai and no story?

OFW Stupid is as stupid does

Edited by meelousee

Why is this a story? What does this have to do with Thai-visa? Why even mention this any way when there are more stories to discuss and more important.

A Brit dies in a stupid accident and it is a story a Texan is murdered in Chang rai and no story?

Feel free to post about the Texan who was murdered in CR. Thaivisa is what you make it.

Edited by adjan jb

Because we are expats (many of us) and an expat has died! How much more appropriate can it be? Christ, one of his friends found out about his death through this thread!

British expat killed in head-on collision

KARON, PHUKET: -- A British man was killed after his SUV slammed into a six-wheel truck in the early hours of Wednesday, March 18.

Colin Richmond, 51, is thought to have died instantly in the crash, which happened at 1.30am at the Koktanode Junction on Patak Road in Kata.

When he tried to overtake another car, his Toyota Sport Rider moved into the path of an oncoming truck laden with bottled drinking water.

Chalong Police Duty Officer Tianchai Duangsuwan said there was no blood inside the car and that the apparent cause of death was a broken neck.

"We're waiting for results from the forensic team, including blood alcohol levels," he said.

Tests have already shown that 60-year-old truck driver Hokkee Prachumpan was sober at the time of the crash. After questioning, police allowed him to go home.

"We are sure that Mr Hokkee, who lives in Rawai, will not flee. We will ask him to come to the police station after the evidence proves who was at fault," Lt Tianchai said.

British Honorary Consul Martin Carpenter said Mr Richmond lived in Thailand, dividing his time between stays in Phuket and Koh Samui.

His body is now in Vachira Hospital. His next of kin have been informed of his death and are now making funeral arrangements.

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-03-20

I would like to point out some errors in the original report, which subsequently led to a couple of incorrect assumptions by posters on this thread:

How that? Mr. Collin was overtaking a car and on the wrong side!

and

It is very curvy around there not the best place to overtake another car.

I passed this accident shortly after it happened. Firstly, it wasn't at the intersection of Koktonot Rd. It happened about 100m north of there, on a straight section. Colins car was so mangled it didn't resemble a car anymore. The cab of the tanker truck had broken off. I saw the rescue workers working on Colin, although at the time I couldn't even tell if it was a Thai or farang because it was too dark. The truck was a water tanker truck, not "truck laden with bottled drinking water" unless that what they meant. Seems other posters knew what they meant. Anyway, the intersting thing was the tanker truck and Colins car were evenly straddling the center line. I had to move almost entirely onto the left shoulder to get around, and I was travelling the same direction Colin was, south. My impression was both vehicles were doing the popular "I'll sort of pass this motorbike and use a bit of the oncoming lane to do it because the oncoming traffic will move over for me, because I'll just flash my headlights" or something to that effect. We are all guilty of it. It's also possible the impact could have moved both vehicles to rest where I saw them.

Everybody here knows HOW the most Farangs driving, even at nightime, often in way too small or bad streets, VERY often drunk......ANYWAY, I will NEVER NEVER NEVER understand WHY humans have to transport water by trucks over montains like here in Phuket......I bymyself was involved in a heavy accident with one of these f....ng trucks nightime, car damaged totally, they drive like idiots.....btw, there is a waterpipeline from Karon to Kata and Rawai already.....guess its cheaper using trucks....but this only a Thai can answer.

I also wish they would close the tops of these water trucks so the water didn't splash out going up and down the hills and turn a narrow strip of the road surface to snot after 2 weeks of no rain. My cracked right kneecap would be a lot happier.

Didn't know you Colin, but the next beer's for you.

Edited by Scubabuddha

A very sad accident.

But i wonder, if this had been the thai man dieing of an accident coused by the foreigner, what would the history be? I read some weeks ago about a farang

who killed a young thai man in an accident (Caused by thai man who was appearently driving without lights at night, in the wrong

side of the road and not wearing a helmet), The farang was arrested and the thai family now seeks about 14 million baht in damages ? Are

accients different? Will the Brits family now be able to claim a big sum from the thai

mans insurance company ?

What insurance company?

A very sad accident.

... Will the Brits family now be able to claim a big sum from the thai

mans insurance company ?

How that? Mr. Collin was overtaking a car and on the wrong side!

Thats exactly what i mean, this was appearntly Mr. Collins fault, and a tragic accident. In what i wrote it was the thai mand fault, but still the foreigner was arrested for few days and then now is beeing claimed about 14 millions by the family, with help of lawyers. Should this not go both ways ?