Walen Or Pro Language?

inu

I am currently studying a Thai cours with Pro Language and I am verysatisfied with the school. I tried a couple of other schools before deciding on which one and choosing Pro Language was a very good decision. She will be able to choose a private one to one class, or to work in a small group. Many of the other schools only offer classes in large groups, which I did not find productive for me.

Its very important that she choose a good school that is able to get her the Student Visa easily. Pro Language has been established for years now and I have always found the Visa application to run very smoothly. The staff are really friendly and helpful, and the teachers are very professional.

Another note about Pro Language, is that the teaching materials are very 'user friendly'. The way its organised means that they can take time to explain in detail anything that she might not be grasping well. Also they are very open to gearing the classes around the individual students needs.

On a final note, i found them very good for scheduling the classes around times to suit me, and also they are very good at putting you into a class at the right level for you.

Please recommend Pro Language to her. I am sure she will not be disappointed.

NB The teachers are all highly qualified and have good teaching experience at Pro Language. Some of the other school I went to had very poor teachers, who were nervous and did not know what they were doing!

Hope this helps you.

Thank you for your experience. Glad to know it works for you.

Walen School

I wonder if anyone who can speak ,read and write Thai exceptionally well has ever provided an INDEPENDANT

critique of the methodology adopted by these two schools? it would be nice to read about the

advantages and disadvantages from the perspective of an observer of both methods ( as opposed to the

proprietor of the business ).

So someone would have to study at both schools at the same time. The best way is to judge the Walen system by yourself. It is free to try and it definitely works. Again, try, it is free. Don't worry about other students opinions, the most important thing is whether the Walen system works for you, that is all that really matters. Some students like transliteration systems, others like learning directly in Thai as it is much faster. There are many schools so you have a lot of choices. I believe that Walen teachers at our Chiangmai branch are some of the finest in the city.

post-46756-0-71216200-1321632479_thumb.j

Edited by MacWalen

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am currently studying a Thai cours with Pro Language and I am verysatisfied with the school. I tried a couple of other schools before deciding on which one and choosing Pro Language was a very good decision. She will be able to choose a private one to one class, or to work in a small group. Many of the other schools only offer classes in large groups, which I did not find productive for me.

Its very important that she choose a good school that is able to get her the Student Visa easily. Pro Language has been established for years now and I have always found the Visa application to run very smoothly. The staff are really friendly and helpful, and the teachers are very professional.

Another note about Pro Language, is that the teaching materials are very 'user friendly'. The way its organised means that they can take time to explain in detail anything that she might not be grasping well. Also they are very open to gearing the classes around the individual students needs.

On a final note, i found them very good for scheduling the classes around times to suit me, and also they are very good at putting you into a class at the right level for you.

NB The teachers are all highly qualified and have good teaching experience at Pro Language. Some of the other school I went to had very poor teachers, who were nervous and did not know what they were doing!

Hope this helps you.

Walen School

I wonder if anyone who can speak ,read and write Thai exceptionally well has ever provided an INDEPENDANT

critique of the methodology adopted by these two schools? it would be nice to read about the

advantages and disadvantages from the perspective of an observer of both methods ( as opposed to the

So someone would have to study at both schools at the same time. The best way is to judge the Walen system by yourself. It is free to try and it definitely works. Again, try, it is free. Don't worry about other students opinions, the most important thing is whether the Walen system works for you, that is all that really matters. Some students like transliteration systems, others like learning directly in Thai as it is much faster. There are many schools so you have a lot of choices. I believe that Walen teachers at our Chiangmai branch are some of the finest in the city.

Hubba Hubba those pictures have sold me where do I sign up!!

Just kiding. Does Welen by chance teach Japanese in Pattaya.

I'm looking to study Japanese with my wife in Pattay before we eventually move back to Australia

Hope this helps you.

Walen School

No I'm not talking about the opinions of other students. I'm talking about the opinion of say a foreigner who is already fluent

in Thai providing an independent opinion regarding both methods. You have to admit there are people who have expressed very firm

views here at both ends of the spectrum regarding both schools?

And by the time you have paid the 24,000 baht it is too late?

In that regard I also have another question. Why do you charge the costs for one year in advance?

Would you consider payment of say 6,000 baht payable at the discretion of the student upon the beginning of each three months?this way if one finds they would like to switch to the pro-language method, they can do so without walking away from the money they have already paid.?

Edited by khaan

Walen School

No I'm not talking about the opinions of other students. I'm talking about the opinion of say a foreigner who is already fluent

in Thai providing an independent opinion regarding both methods. You have to admit there are people who have expressed very firm

views here at both ends of the spectrum regarding both schools?

And by the time you have paid the 24,000 baht it is too late?

In that regard I also have another question. Why do you charge the costs for one year in advance?

Would you consider payment of say 6,000 baht payable at the discretion of the student upon the beginning of each three months?this way if one finds they would like to switch to the pro-language method, they can do so without walking away from the money they have already paid.?

Mr Walen,I would really appreciate a response from you regarding my question about the payment for two reasons :-

1. I am aware that a group of students lost all their money when they went to study Thai at Chiang Mai University

but when the course was suddenly terminated without compensation?

2. I was sceptical and critical about the Thailand Elite card where people were required to pay 1 million baht

in advance. This also subsequently has left people heavily out-of-pocket and I know that there is is a substantial

difference between this amount and your charges, but still it invokes the same questions in my mind as I had

regarding the Thailand Elite card which was why do they need to charge the money upfront?

You are presumably paying for your staff and your rental costs on a monthly basis so why do you need to charge

students that attend your school one year in advance?

We charge for one year and based on that we provide document for one year ED visa. We do not charge per month. Walen is over 10 years old, you will not lose money with our school. If you do not believe that we can provide the service or you think another school is better and more reliable then do what you think is best for you. One million vs 24,960, you judge the risk.

Replying to post #33

What we do works very well. If the market shows that we need to make some changes then we will consider it but for now there is no need for that. Student numbers are not going down but up in every of our 5 branches. Walen is the most popular Thai school with an extremely high renewal rate. We will be building more school in the coming year. If you are so afraid that you will lose your money with Walen then just don't worry about it. Try another school. If you decide to go with Walen every effort will be made to give you good service.

Replying to post #33

What we do works very well. If the market shows that we need to make some changes then we will consider it but for now there is no need for that. Student numbers are not going down but up in every of our 5 branches. Walen is the most popular Thai school with an extremely high renewal rate. We will be building more school in the coming year. If you are so afraid that you will lose your money with Walen then just don't worry about it. Try another school. If you decide to go with Walen every effort will be made to give you good service.

No the main reason I asked this question was not about losing money. I just gave that incident as an example.

It has more to do with being able to go to another school after say three or six months without walking away from one years payment if your methodology doesn't suit a particular student?

It's very hard to make an assessment from one free trial lesson.

If you want to learn at Walen and don't need a ED visa you could start with 60 lessons.

http://www.thaiwalen.com/prices.php

I must say the picture of the teachers is making me reconsider taking lessons at Walen.

Young and pretty looking is not a guarantee for good lessons, more like eyecandy which can be distracting to say the least. :)

I have already established from the Thai consulate in one city in my own country that they will actually even give me

a one year multiple entry visa so I can take care of the visa application on my own.

Edited by khaan

If you want to learn at Walen and don't need a ED visa you could start with 60 lessons.

I must say the picture of the teachers is making me reconsider taking lessons at Walen.

Young and pretty looking is not a guarantee for good lessons, more like eyecandy which can be distracting to say the least. :)

They are very good at teaching Thai, just try for free first and talk to students.

I have already established from the Thai consulate in one city in my own country that they will actually even give me

a one year multiple entry visa so I can take care of the visa application on my own.

Without any letter from a language school? May I know what city you are talking about?

Without any letter from a language school? May I know what city you are talking about?

So are you charging 24,000 baht just to provide a letter?

No Sir, I did not say that, the letter is issued by the ministry of Education, we just don't process the application for someone who wants to study 1 month. It is too much work.

I have answered all your questions, can you answer mine please? I am really curious which consulate can issue you a multiple ED visa without any paperwork.

Hi, i need help.. may i know which is the good school i can learn Thai language in Korat? thanks in advance!

Walen does not have a school in Korat yet so we cannot help you, we hope to have one next year. I don't know any other schools but maybe somebody else does.

Another option is learning online with Walen, it works very well for a lot of students. Not everybody likes learning online but if someone does it is a very good option.

Walen School - hope to be in Korat soon!

Edited by MacWalen

I studied with Walen in Phuket for 6 months earlier this year. I could already speak quite a good level of Thai (best in our level 1 class) Although i could not read anything. After 6 months of studying, i can now read just fine, i cant write yet as i didn't take the course long enough. But overall i was very impressed with the service of Walen. Both the teaching and the visa assistance.

However i do agree with Tod-daniels. Sorry Mac but Walen doest really help to teach speaking. I understand the method of reading then writing and learning to speak as you go along. But honestly, my vocabulary hasn't really increased though out the 6 month course. Don't get me wrong, the reading teaching method is very good. Me and my fellow students learned to read in no time.

I remember going out into town with one of my class mates for a beer one night in Patong. He could read all the signs, license plates, menu's, anything, impressive! But when he tried to order food in Thai he struggled. Wasn't an issue for me as i could already speak and im very happy that i can now read. My friend wasn't so impressed with the course though. He had studied for the same amount of time as me, could read to exactly the same level but couldn't even talk enough to explain to the taxi driver where he stayed.

For me, i would say that Walen was very helpful. I learned what i wanted to (reading) and the visa service was great. However if you can't speak a reasonable level of Thai already, the course might not be the right method for you...

All the teachers in the school also agreed with us when we explained this to them.

No Sir, I did not say that, the letter is issued by the ministry of Education, we just don't process the application for someone who wants to study 1 month. It is too much work.

I have answered all your questions, can you answer mine please? I am really curious which consulate can issue you a multiple ED visa without any paperwork.

Where did I say that it could be done without any paperwork ? but the point is, with the paperwork I would effectively be taking care of the

application on my own ?

And after I receive it , it seems to me a multiple entry one year Visa is infinitely better than the " one year Visa "

that you advertise? As I understand it with the Visa that you provide while you describe it as one year , the student must still go to the Department of

immigration and pay an extra 1900 baht  each time every 90 days? And if the immigration officers test you upon the 90 day expiry,

I have heard they can refuse to provide you with an extension?

With my Visa I will only need to do a Visa run every 90 days but at no cost?

Edited by khaan

I studied with Walen in Phuket for 6 months earlier this year. I could already speak quite a good level of Thai (best in our level 1 class) Although i could not read anything. After 6 months of studying, i can now read just fine, i cant write yet as i didn't take the course long enough. But overall i was very impressed with the service of Walen. Both the teaching and the visa assistance.

However i do agree with Tod-daniels. Sorry Mac but Walen doest really help to teach speaking. I understand the method of reading then writing and learning to speak as you go along. But honestly, my vocabulary hasn't really increased though out the 6 month course. Don't get me wrong, the reading teaching method is very good. Me and my fellow students learned to read in no time.

I remember going out into town with one of my class mates for a beer one night in Patong. He could read all the signs, license plates, menu's, anything, impressive! But when he tried to order food in Thai he struggled. Wasn't an issue for me as i could already speak and im very happy that i can now read. My friend wasn't so impressed with the course though. He had studied for the same amount of time as me, could read to exactly the same level but couldn't even talk enough to explain to the taxi driver where he stayed.

For me, i would say that Walen was very helpful. I learned what i wanted to (reading) and the visa service was great. However if you can't speak a reasonable level of Thai already, the course might not be the right method for you...

All the teachers in the school also agreed with us when we explained this to them.

Paangjang thank you very much because this is very useful information.

Can I ask you upon your 90 day Visa extension renewal, did you ever get tested by the immigration officers? Because if you're saying that your

reading skills were better than your verbal skills, I would imagine it would be relatively easy for the immigration officers to quickly jump to the wrong conclusion if they asked you a simple question, but you were unable to answer them ?

I have already taught myself the consonants and the vowels and I am currently in the process of teaching myself how to read. So I believe this is something you can do on your own without going to a school. In my opinion the most challenging part of learning Thai is being able to speak sentences with the correct tone for each word.

What I feel I need now is simply more dialogue and chatting and from what you are saying and from what I have gathered from reading the Pro -Language books which were handed down to me by a previous neighbour, this kind of environment may be more likely in Pro Language than at Walen?

Edited by khaan

i am looking to study Thai once more when I get back to Chiang Mai and am following this thread well but also looking at AUA

I did study at Payup but did find for me it was just to intense at this stage, the motivation, interest is there but the brain is a little slow.

I had a tutor from the YMCA and he was very good also, the teachers that I have had in Chiang Mai are all great people and have a thirst to pass on the knowledge of their country and culture.

I cannot wait to get back to Chiang Mai and study

They are very good at teaching Thai, just try for free first and talk to students.

On your www site where you present the teachers/instructors I find only photos, names and nicknames,

no presentation of CV/academic qualifications.

On your www site where you present the teachers/instructors I find only photos, names and nicknames,

Walen trains teachers in-house. We have our own way of teaching so we cannot find any teaching qualifications from other institutions that would be useful to us. We do it the Walen way.

So this is truly amazing. I will have to show this post to our teachers in Phuket, first thing tomorrow. Seems the problem would be that during lessons some students are allowed to read answers from the book which is absolute no no, they should answer on their own. If that is the case then the problem lies with the teachers not the method. Some students are so good at reading Thai that despite encouragements to answer on their own they will keep reading the answers form the book. It just shows you how hard it is to get people follow the instructions. So easy to blame later, isn't it? Sure guys, if you will just keep reading answers from your book (by the way the book is totally in Thai, no transliteration whatsoever) you will not learn to speak, you will just become perfect at understanding and reading Thai.

Walen School - the system works!

Walen trains teachers in-house. We have our own way of teaching so we cannot find any teaching qualifications from other institutions that would be useful to us. We do it the Walen way.

Fair enough. To me this sounds pretty close to saying that the teachers do not have any academic qualifications.

You mention teaching qualifications but a good CV and academic qualifications is not necessarily same same as teaching qualifications.

But even so, they can be OK instructors without any degrees.

Edited by melvinmelvin

So this is truly amazing. I will have to show this post to our teachers in Phuket, first thing tomorrow. Seems the problem would be that during lessons some students are allowed to read answers from the book which is absolute no no, they should answer on their own. If that is the case then the problem lies with the teachers not the method. Some students are so good at reading Thai that despite encouragements to answer on their own they will keep reading the answers form the book. It just shows you how hard it is to get people follow the instructions. So easy to blame later, isn't it? Sure guys, if you will just keep reading answers from your book (by the way the book is totally in Thai, no transliteration whatsoever) you will not learn to speak, you will just become perfect at understanding and reading Thai.

What do you find "truly amazing" about my post? Thought it was a pretty standard post, nothing that hasn't been said a million times before. I thought you would agree with me that the method doest teach you to speak,but read only. Seems clear to everyone. Don't you ever ask the students or teachers how the method of "you read then i read" is going? Don't you ever sit in the class and see them trying to read from the book instead of answering a straight question. Alot of the students still haven't been taught how to say "Hello, how are you?"

If you can't speak Thai then you can't answer the questions. You have to read it from the book. They even show you where to read from.

The teachers only speak Thai so if you don't know what the question is or means, you have to ask. Your not taught the translation naturally without having to ask.

Would it not be a great idea for the teacher to have an extra totally different question book from the students, with no answer book. That way the students wouldn't be able to just read the answers from the book. Wow, now that system would be "truly amazing" The students would actually learn to speak Thai instead of answering questions by reading the answer. How can it work when the question is next to the answer. It's a good way to learn to read (listening whilst reading) I wouldn't disagree with that. But theres no way this ever helps you to speak. Just ask the teachers or the students. They all agree.

And yes, it can be difficult when you get to immigration to extend your ED visa. He only speaks Thai, like a test. Wheres that book when you really need it?

Your right, they are good with the visa's, after plenty of asking they do get around to doing it for you. Oh and make sure you get plenty of photo's, they lost my 12 so i had to drive back again once i'd paid (again) for 12 more.

What do you find "truly amazing" about my post? Thought it was a pretty standard post, nothing that hasn't been said a million times before. I thought you would agree with me that the method doest teach you to speak,but read only. Seems clear to everyone. Don't you ever ask the students or teachers how the method of "you read then i read" is going? Don't you ever sit in the class and see them trying to read from the book instead of answering a straight question. Alot of the students still haven't been taught how to say "Hello, how are you?"

If you can't speak Thai then you can't answer the questions. You have to read it from the book. They even show you where to read from.

The teachers only speak Thai so if you don't know what the question is or means, you have to ask. Your not taught the translation naturally without having to ask.

Would it not be a great idea for the teacher to have an extra totally different question book from the students, with no answer book. That way the students wouldn't be able to just read the answers from the book. Wow, now that system would be "truly amazing" The students would actually learn to speak Thai instead of answering questions by reading the answer. How can it work when the question is next to the answer. It's a good way to learn to read (listening whilst reading) I wouldn't disagree with that. But theres no way this ever helps you to speak. Just ask the teachers or the students. They all agree.

And yes, it can be difficult when you get to immigration to extend your ED visa. He only speaks Thai, like a test. Wheres that book when you really need it?

Your right, they are good with the visa's, after plenty of asking they do get around to doing it for you. Oh and make sure you get plenty of photo's, they lost my 12 so i had to drive back again once i'd paid (again) for 12 more.

There are hundreds of other students who do not have this problem and can speak very well. But if students are allowed to read answers from the book the progress will be slower. So you confirmed that you were just answering by reading from the book, now I understand where is the problem. Thank you for letting me know.

Edited by MacWalen

I just happened to find this old thread from 2008 and 2009 .

Look at Post number 10 -that person said almost the same thing as you Paangjang.

And having read Post number 3 now I'm getting a better understanding why Walen need all the money upfront ! :whistling:

http://www.ajarnforu...ool-advice.html

Edited by khaan

Of course I wouldn't study for just one month. That is a red herring and you know it full well :rolleyes:

And here this person in this in another forum which I discovered confirms my thoughts exactly !

" Walen must be the most advertised Thai language school on the web. They look like essentially an ED visa selling operation. It looks to me that there money goes to advertising, not student education. It is easy to get an ED visa (I'm on my second year now here in LOS) and costs essentially nothing (5000 baht) not the 30,000 baht that Walen wants.

See Post number 3

http://www.ajarnforu...ool-advice.html

Edited by khaan