Walen Or Pro Language?

inu

You guys are getting nasty, have a nice day too. Despite your bashing of Walen on a regular basis we've just had yet another fantastic day so all this negativity seems to be working well.

Not everybody makes a great issue of paying 24,960 baht for 180 lessons plus an ED visa assistance. It is really a bargain for the direct method. If you are on such a very tight budget then perhaps looking at an ED visa is not the best option for you. If you just want to learn Thai we can offer you less lessons. If, however, you want to learn and get an ED visa our price is 24,960 Baht and we have to work hard to provide the service.

Despite the fact that some posters or even some students don't like me that much as a person they know very well that Walen is famous for providing most reliable service and indeed cares about the quality of teaching. Of course hard to please everyone. If you can do better than me please become my business partner.

Walen School - trying to please everyone.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys are getting nasty, have a nice day too. Despite your bashing of Walen on a regular basis we've just had yet another fantastic day so all this negativity seems to be working well.

Not everybody makes a great issue of paying 24,960 baht for 180 lessons plus an ED visa assistance. It is really a bargain for the direct method. If you are on such a very tight budget then perhaps looking at an ED visa is not the best option for you. If you just want to learn Thai we can offer you less lessons. If, however, you want to learn and get an ED visa our price is 24,960 Baht and we have to work hard to provide the service.

Despite the fact that some posters or even some students don't like me that much as a person they know very well that Walen is famous for providing most reliable service and indeed cares about the quality of teaching. Of course hard to please everyone. If you can do better than me please become my business partner.

Mr Walen I thought the purpose of this thread was to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your school compared to Pro Language ?

Naturally you would expect some former students of yours will provide information about their experiences and this hopefully will assist potential students to make a fair comparison between your school and Pro Language ? Why do you consider that to be bashing? Are you suggesting it is wrong for me to post comments from some of your past students regarding your teaching methods ? And was I wrong to simply raise the question about why you need to charge the course fees upfront for 12 months ?

I don't know why you describe this as being ' nasty ' ?

I have to say also I regard your rather patronising comments about being on a tight budget as being a little bit insulting and a complete distraction from your failure to adequately respond to some of the questions.

And why is it possibly a bargain if people finish your course still unable to hold a basic conversation in Thai as described by more than one person ? And why is it a bargain when I have already said that with the paperwork it is possible to get a better type of Education Visa ( multiple entry as opposed to single entry that you offer ) at a fraction of the cost that you are charging.

Edited by khaan

Mr Walen I thought the purpose of this thread was to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your school compared to Pro Language ?

Naturally you would expect some former students of yours will provide information about their experiences and this hopefully will assist potential students to make a fair comparison between your school and Pro Language ? Why do you consider that to be bashing? Are you suggesting it is wrong for me to post comments from some of your past students regarding your teaching methods ? And was I wrong to simply raise the question about why you need to charge the course fees upfront for 12 months ?

I have to say also I regard your rather patronising comments about being on a tight budget as being a little bit insulting and a complete distraction from your failure to adequately respond to some of the questions.

And why is it possibly a bargain if people finish your course still unable to hold a basic conversation in Thai as described by more than one person ? And why is it a bargain when I have already said that with the paperwork it is possible to get a better type of Education Visa ( multiple entry as opposed to single entry that you offer ) at a fraction of the cost that you are charging.

Perhaps know better SIr, you should go ahead with what you feel is best for you. Nothing was meant to be insulting, if that is how it sounded to you I apologize, it was my impression from reading your posts that the price bothered you.

Regarding learning, if some students do not apply themselves they will not learn at Walen or any other school. We cannot force someone to be a good student. There are millions of people around the world that start learning a foreign language and fail for various reason. If you want to compare yourself to those who fail and not to those who succeed you are doing what is best for you.

Regarding obtaining the ED visa at the fraction of the cost that Walen charges, I don't think you have verified this one. I am not her to argue with anybody. Peace.

Edited by MacWalen

You obviously know better, so go ahead and do. Nothing was meant to be insulting, it is quite obvious from reading your posts that the price bothers you. So if this is not the issue of money so what is it?

Regarding learning, if some students do not apply themselves they will not learn at Walen or any other school. We cannot force someone to be a good student. There are millions of people around the world that start learning a foreign language and fail for various reason. If you want to compare yourself to those who fail and not to those who succeed you are doing something seriously wrong.

Regarding obtaining the ED visa at the fraction of the cost that Walen charges, are you sure you know what you are talking about. So you have made a real discovery! Let everybody know. Show us how you will do that. One year course with an ED visa for 5,000 Baht as you read somewhere? Give us more info about it please.

it is not the price that bothers me. it is not understanding why you need 12 months fees in advance which bothers me. Two different things

Perhaps know better SIr, you should go ahead with what you feel is best for you. Nothing was meant to be insulting, if that is how it sounded to you I apologize, it was my impression from reading your posts that the price bothered you.

Regarding learning, if some students do not apply themselves they will not learn at Walen or any other school. We cannot force someone to be a good student. There are millions of people around the world that start learning a foreign language and fail for various reason. If you want to compare yourself to those who fail and not to those who succeed you are doing what is best for you.

Regarding obtaining the ED visa at the fraction of the cost that Walen charges, I don't think you have verified this one. I am not her to argue with anybody. Peace.

Because you changed some of the wording from what was your initial response I would like to reply to your paragraph 2 in particular.

Of course I will apply myself and indeed I have proven that already by learning the Thai consonants and vowels entirely on my own at home.

And as I have mentioned previously I have been studying the course work of Pro Language books 1 to 3 also in my private time.

I have already developed quite a reasonable vocabulary and judging from the reaction of Thai's when I speak to them, I seem to be making

a fair amount of progress already without the assistance of any language school ( other than the notes ) .

So in fact there was an even bigger incentive for me to enrol at Walen because it would have been potentially something different

and would have expanded my Thai language skills even further having already learnt the Pro Language way.

So once again I certainly will not compare myself to ' those who fail ' as you say but equally I will not enter into

a commercial arrangement with anyone unless I am satisfied with the terms and conditions .

Edited by khaan

khaan said on 11-18:

I wonder if anyone who can speak ,read and write Thai exceptionally well has ever provided an INDEPENDANT

critique of the methodology adopted by these two schools? it would be nice to read about the

advantages and disadvantages from the perspective of an observer of both methods ( as opposed to the

proprietor of the business ).

There may be reluctance of experienced observers to voice opinions and independent critique on this subject for reasons shown below in a posting on a different Thai-language forum.

And I quote:

"This is no longer the best forum for Thai learners. ThaiVisa is allowing their sponsors** to call the shots. Long time members are being banned for protesting. Due to their heavy-handedness the most valuable members have stopped commenting."

**One sponsor

Edited by Canaris

khaan said on 11-18:

I wonder if anyone who can speak ,read and write Thai exceptionally well has ever provided an INDEPENDANT

critique of the methodology adopted by these two schools? it would be nice to read about the

advantages and disadvantages from the perspective of an observer of both methods ( as opposed to the

proprietor of the business ).

There may be reluctance of experienced observers to voice opinions and independent critique on this subject for reasons shown below in a posting on a different Thai-language forum.

And I quote:

"This is no longer the best forum for Thai learners. ThaiVisa is allowing their sponsors** to call the shots. Long time members are being banned for protesting. Due to their heavy-handedness the most valuable members have stopped commenting."

**One sponsor

thank you very much Canaris ;)

very interesting information !

Must say I have been impressed with Thai Walen )can't comment on Pro Language I'm afraid).

Pros -

1. Very helpful with Visa etc

2. Like the teaching method (but more on this later)

3. Teachers are great and yes, there is certainly eye candy, but they can teach as well.

4. Classroom sizes are just right.

Cons

1. Would like some exercise sheets to go along with the Learning Book.

2. This is just a recent con, which I'm hoping they will change - a new Teaching method has been introduced which doesn't work and has ruined a perfectly good teaching style. It misses the whole part of the student's learning experience and the students don't get a chance to absorb the vocabulary and the sentences; misses the whole point. So, I'm praying this will be fixed as the students aren't happy with this as the whole learning process has gone, but can't see this method staying too long.

But overall, excellent work. Will certainly sign on for another year (if new method is removed).

A way that proved to work remarkably well was homework with a new word/expression with an example,

and then several homework sentences in which to implement the new.

I believe having pretty teachers is in fact a plus,

it increases the enjoyment which in turn improve memory & motivation

Edited by poanoi

inu]

I have friend coming from Australia who wants to study Thai. Sheis applying for an ED Visa but is having trouble choosing between Walen and ProLanguage in BKK.

Any thoughts or advice from people with experience of eitherschool would be greatly appreciated.

I know the OP is long gone by now, but thought I'd answer this question because someone might find my answer helpful. First, I'd like to say you probably shouldn't consider either of these schools if you are going to study in Bangkok. That's because there are far better schools. Few if any consider them the best schools for learning Thai in Bangkok, except for the owners. Please see the excellent posts by by tod-daniels and kriswillems for the best schools. But this is a reasonable question for Pattaya, which has far less to offer the language learner. So Iwill pretend this question is for Pattaya.

First let me give you some background about myself regarding Thai. I've been learning on and off since 2004. I've studied mostly on my own in the US. I've never lived in Thailand, but visit nearly every year, staying on the average more than 1 month. During one of these trips, I studied at Pro Language in Pattaya for about 2 months. I have tried twice, without success, to study at Walen.

Now about my experience with the 2 schools.

When I learned at Pro in Pattaya, I was a private student. Although I was an "advanced" speaker by then, my reading was poor. The teacher was very good, and the books were well organized. Reading - I think it's fair to say I learned to read using their material. At first, we read the graduated texts they had together, and she pointed out errors. Later, I read them mostly on my own time. I read them several times, and memorized all the vocabulary using an SRS. Grammar & vocabulary - During class, we went over their grammar texts. They weren't bad, even though I hate transliteration. Later, we mostly practiced conversation and ironed out my grammar and vocabulary problems. Over all, it was a very good experience for me. Everybody spoke Thai to me all the time. I also noticed this is how they treated their beginning students too, unless there was a communication problem. Spoken communication was clearly a priority to them.

I have never learned at Walen. But I have tried to take lessons twice. Basically, they don't seem to be prepared to deal with advanced students. Both times I went in, last year and this year, I told them what I wanted to do and they said they'd get back to me.They never did, and I took the hint.

Here's a play by play of what happened a few days ago at Walen (this is similar to what happened last year too, but I can't remember last years' details). I walked in and introduced myself in Thai, and asked to take private lessons. The receptionist answered in poor English, telling me I needed to talk to an English speaking salesman. Some farang with good, but heavily accented English came to talk to me, and basically asked me what I wanted. I started telling him, in Thai. He looked around nervously, and the receptionist told me that he's an English speaker. So I asked to talk to a teacher. A teacher eventually came out and I explained what I needed in Thai. She was cute, but not as cute as the pictures. She did her best to respond in English only, but occasionally slipped into Thai. I told her that I wanted someone to sit with me 30 min while I read a novel out loud,and correct my mistakes. Then I wanted someone to discuss the grammar lesson that I did the day before for 30 min. Finally, I wanted someone to converse with me for one hour. Anyway, we only got into the details of the first 30 min.She basically told me they'd have to check on availability of teachers, and would get back to me.

Although the decision not to do private classes may have been a financial one, the above paragraph should send a serious warning to anybody wanting to use Walen for conversation. They try to put the student at ease by not requiring them to speak Thai. This is the opposite of what they should be doing in most situations.

Some other things I've heard/suspected about Walen, and can't confirm, but believe because of the ethics/veracity of the poster, or just sheer quantity of posts/conversations: it's more profit driven than most other schools; teachers don't have teaching degrees; teachers are hired because they are cute; there is little effort to teach conversation; students don't advance to the point of being able to take the national exams.

So based on personal experience and a lot of circumstantial evidence, if one had to choose between these schools, I would recommend pro.

Walen School – not a good choice for conversation

Edited by leosmith

Here's a play by play of what happened a few days ago at Walen (this is similar to what happened last year too, but I can't remember last years' details). I walked in and introduced myself in Thai, and asked to take private lessons. The receptionist answered in poor English, telling me I needed to talk to an English speaking salesman. Some farang with good, but heavily accented English came to talk to me, and basically asked me what I wanted. I started telling him, in Thai. He looked around nervously, and the receptionist told me that he's an English speaker. So I asked to talk to a teacher. A teacher eventually came out and I explained what I needed in Thai. She was cute, but not as cute as the pictures. She did her best to respond in English only, but occasionally slipped into Thai. I told her that I wanted someone to sit with me 30 min while I read a novel out loud,and correct my mistakes. Then I wanted someone to discuss the grammar lesson that I did the day before for 30 min. Finally, I wanted someone to converse with me for one hour. Anyway, we only got into the details of the first 30 min.She basically told me they'd have to check on availability of teachers, and would get back to me.

They try to put the student at ease by not requiring them to speak Thai. This is the opposite of what they should be doing in most situations. :clap2:

Walen School – not a good choice for conversation

thank you Leo.

Very very unprofessional and quite rude on their part :bah:

Why do they do that ? based on what you say, they certainly don't display the behaviour of an establishment that is doing everything

It possibly can to encourage students to keep learning and improving their Thai?:ermm:

I have never learned at Walen. But I have tried to take lessons twice. Basically, they don't seem to be prepared to deal with advanced students. Both times I went in, last year and this year, I told them what I wanted to do and they said they'd get back to me.They never did, and I took the hint.

Leosmith

To put your experience with Walen in perspective, you need to consider that NOT ALL STUDENTS are interested in learning Thai - but rather for many. many, many - their only interest may be obtaining a means of staying in Thailand long-term - therefore an Ed Visa.

Walens primary business model appears to be geared toward supplying the demand for Ed Visas. Therefore, since your interest is/was to learn the Thai Language - you considered the wrong place - true for beginners and advanced Thai Students.

From my experience - ProLanguage is a better choice for you. ProLanguage can also assist in obtaining an EdVisa - which in your case you do not appear to need.

Edited by Canaris

To put your experience with Walen in perspective, you need to consider that NOT ALL STUDENTS are interested in learning Thai - but rather for many. many, many - their only interest may be obtaining a means of staying in Thailand long-term - therefore an Ed Visa.

Walens primary business model appears to be geared toward supplying the demand for Ed Visas. Therefore, since your interest is/was to learn the Thai Language - you considered the wrong place - true for beginners and advanced Thai Students.

From my experience - ProLanguage is a better choice for you. ProLanguage can also assist in obtaining an EdVisa - which in your case you do not appear to need.

As this type of comment has been made numerous times now both on this forum and others what would make the immigration Department

turn a blind eye to this? Even if this doesn't exactly constitute an abuse of the system, surely if it fails to help and support bona fide

students like Leosmith to build further on their existing knowledge of Thai, it is faling in its duty /obligations as a learning institution?

How therefore does it keep its licence/permit from the Ministry of education?

Some posters obviously have no idea of what they are talking about. Despite your negativity Walen schools are growing fast. New schools in Koh Samui and Krabi coming soon and expansion in Sukhumvit.

We have many many happy customers and more are on the way. Just because some of you are not happy for whatever reason, or simply you do not like the school because you may gave some hidden agenda, like promoting other schools, or owning your own school or you do not like me or one of my staff will not stop students from learning at Walen.

Walen School - we must be doing something right!

Some posters obviously have no idea of what they are talking about. Despite your negativity Walen schools are growing fast. New schools in Koh Samui and Krabi coming soon and expansion in Sukhumvit.

We have many many happy customers and more are on the way. Just because some of you are not happy for whatever reason, or simply you do not like the school because you may gave some hidden agenda, like promoting other schools, or owning your own school or you do not like me or one of my staff will not stop students from learning at Walen.

don't be so ridiculous! we are merely discussing the perceived standards and advantages of your method compared to others?

I notice you haven't said anything about the way leosmith was treated by your staff? that was not courteous 'MacWalen

and if I had been in his shoes I would have been very annoyed. If I have learnt some Thai and I can speak Thai

enough to be able to communicate, the very least I would expect is for the Thai language school staff

to reply to me in the same language.

All you ever do is reply by saying you have many happy customers. That doesn't automatically prove that your method is better

or even whether it yields the best results at the end of the day..

don't be so ridiculous! we are merely discussing the perceived standards and advantages of your method compared to others?

I notice you haven't said anything about the way leosmith was treated by your staff? that was not courteous 'MacWalen

and if I had been in his shoes I would have been very annoyed. If I have learnt some Thai and I can speak Thai

enough to be able to communicate, the very least I would expect is for the Thai language school staff

All you ever do is reply by saying you have many happy customers. That doesn't automatically prove that your method is better

Are you sure things those guys write are true? Or are you just that naive and believe everything? World is full of liars or people who twist things. My staff is excellent at customer service and there is certainly never any intent to be impolite or unprofessional. Go ahead Khann, believe all you hear. You will not get very far in life if you do that.

Walen School - test first, decide later, you will not be disappointed.

Edited by MacWalen

Are you sure things those guys write are true? Or are you just that naive and believe everything? World is full of liars or people who twist things. My staff is excellent at customer service and there is certainly never any intent to be impolite or unprofessional. Go ahead Khann, believe all you hear. You will not get very far in life if you do that.

Yes but that works on both sides of the transaction! it applies to the providers of services also and you still haven't

given a legitimate reason why your customers need to pay 12 months in advance?

Yes but that works on both sides of the transaction! it applies to the providers of services also and you still haven't

given a legitimate reason why your customers need to pay 12 months in advance?

If you want to learn at Walen then we charge 24,960 Baht per year. In your case you can find a school that you pay per month. Or like you said somewhere else you can get an ED multiple for 5,000 Baht.

Are you sure things those guys write are true? Or are you just that naive and believe everything? World is full of liars or people who twist things.

I could be wrong, but I think you just called me a liar. If so, would you please have the courtesy to quote the part(s) of my post that you think are lies?

You certainly twisted things. I really will not go into detailed dissection of your post. Keep your twisted interpretation.

I'm sorry, but you called me a liar, so I'd like to know what you think is a lie. I'll make it easier for you by asking one question per post.

Is your staff supposed to try to speak english to native english speakers, regardless of their Thai level?

You certainly twisted things. I really will not go into detailed dissection of your post. Keep your twisted interpretation.

You're incredibly and astonishingly arrogant MacWalen :bah:

at the first opportunity I get I will discuss this kind of patronising behaviour on your part with the Thai immigration authorities.

at the first opportunity I get I will discuss this kind of patronising behaviour on your part with the Thai immigration authorities.

That is not true, I just present a different point of view to some of the attackers. It is normal that every successful business will have some people who from time to time will say negative things. You have never even visited our school or taken a trial lesson. That would be a good start. I am not sure what immigration has to do with it. Nobody is partitioning anybody, this is just your impression, perhaps you are oversensitive. We are expressing our opinions and I do not have to agree with what some posters write. I know my school and I know my staff and teachers and of course I know the method. Everybody can come and try for free, see the school, talk to staff and students. If we cannot make everybody happy I accept that as there is no business that can make everybody satisfied with its service. I can judge by response from the customers and we have more and more of them and incredibly high renewal rate.

If we were a school that nobody knows sure there would not be so much discussion of Walen. There are other schools so if you do not like Walen you have other choices. We will see if you will be 100% happy with their service as it is hard to please everyone. Or perhaps you will become one of those that will make a regular effort of discouraging others to learn at Walen, this strategy does not work very well and usually has the opposite result.

Walen School - it's your decision

I just hope that Walen or whoever does not end up being another CMU and which School I will choose I will not end up going to another school and paying another amount

Don't worry, you will certainly not lose money with Walen, we have funds to provide service to every student who pays the fee.

I just hope that Walen or whoever does not end up being another CMU and which School I will choose I will not end up going to another school and paying another amount

Don't worry, you will certainly not lose money with Walen, we have funds to provide service to every student who pays the fee.

But what guarantee will you provide?

That is not true, I just present a different point of view to some of the attackers. It is normal that every successful business will have some people who from time to time will say negative things. You have never even visited our school or taken a trial lesson. That would be a good start. I am not sure what immigration has to do with it. Nobody is partitioning anybody, this is just your impression, perhaps you are oversensitive. We are expressing our opinions and I do not have to agree with what some posters write. I know my school and I know my staff and teachers and of course I know the method. Everybody can come and try for free, see the school, talk to staff and students. If we cannot make everybody happy I accept that as there is no business that can make everybody satisfied with its service. I can judge by response from the customers and we have more and more of them and incredibly high renewal rate.

If we were a school that nobody knows sure there would not be so much discussion of Walen. There are other schools so if you do not like Walen you have other choices. We will see if you will be 100% happy with their service as it is hard to please everyone. Or perhaps you will become one of those that will make a regular effort of discouraging others to learn at Walen, this strategy does not work very well and usually has the opposite result.

Now it's my turn to say I don't believe what you are saying? Of course you know full well immigration would have a lot to do with it

If they suddenly turned round one day and decided to tighten the rules regarding those schools who are viewed as

mainly providing visa's compared to genuine academic establishments such as universities.

There was one poster in another thread -I can't remember his name I think it was Richard and I will look for the post

but he described the chronology of the education Visa and his conclusion was it could eventually even be stopped.

What guarantees does anyone have after paying the 24,000 baht upfront if they subsequently decide after the first week

that one of the other choices would have been better?

Now it's my turn to say I don't believe what you are saying? Of course you know full well immigration would have a lot to do with it

If they suddenly turned round one day and decided to tighten the rules regarding those schools who are viewed as

mainly providing visa's compared to genuine academic establishments such as universities.

There was one poster in another thread -I can't remember his name I think it was Richard and I will look for the post

but he described the chronology of the education Visa and his conclusion was it could eventually even be stopped.

What guarantees does anyone have after paying the 24,000 baht upfront if they subsequently decide after the first week

that one of the other choices would have been better?

Even if one day immigration decided that there are no more ED visas we still can operate as a business and provide students with lessons they paid for. So we do indeed guarantee providing the service as students pay for lessons not for the visa, visa assistance is provided free of charge. Nobody will lose money with Walen.

Gentlemen, no offence, but this argument has gone on for two pages and is not useful or interesting to the rest of us anymore. I think you have both said all that needs to be said and if you want to continue it please take it to private message . Khaan, you are clearly unhappy with Walen, but many of your complaints could be leveled at most language schools here in the country and it's starting to seem like you're just baiting an argument for entertainment. Can we please bring this back to the opening topic? It's a good thread that has steadily become more useful since it was started in 2009, as visa restrictions have tightened and the two schools have both increased in popularity.

I for one would like to know some useful details, like how many hours "a lesson" is at each school and what is the cost per lesson. Pro-Language doesn't seem to have any costs posted on their website so it's difficult to figure out what the price-per-hour of instruction is.

Edited by HTWoodson