Retirement Visa

I came into Thailand on a tourist visa in January. On February 27, 2009, I obtained at the same time (within an hour - didn't even have to come back) (1) A Stay Permit "O" which says I was admitted on February 27, 2009, and it's good until May 27, 2009 (this being the typical Non-Immigrant O Visa, I think), and (2) the retirement or long-stay visa which says that my "application of stay is permitted up to May 27, 2010. Thus, it appears I essentially got 15 months and the immigration officer "started" the retirement visa on the date the 90-day visa expired.

I'm going back home at the end of April (and, yes, I know have to obtain an exit/re-entry permit). I intend to come back in October for 6-7 months.

My concerns/questions are as follows:

#1. Am I screwing up my long-term visa by leaving (even with an exit/re-entry permit) prior to May 27, 2009?

#2 Presuming the answer to #1 is "no", would it be correct that when I come back in October, my stay is still okay until May 27, 2010?

#3 Presuming the answer to #1 is "no" and #2 is "yes", do I have to stay until a week before May 27, 2010, to be able to get a one-year extension? (I'd like to leave in April but I'll stay until whenever in May if I need to do that). I guess this question could also be asked: If I'm not around within a week prior to May 27, 2010, to obtain the extension, is that long-term visa (or the right to obtain a 1-year extension from it) forever gone?

Appreciate your input, there seem to be some real Thai visa experts here. Thanks.

Edited by CMBob

That is a new, interesting question (well to a geek like me). I can understand your concern and I would have it as well if I were you.

My opinion only is that the later permission to stay will supercede the earlier one, so that when you re-enter Thailand with a re-entry permit before

May 27, 2010, your new permission to stay will still be May 27, 2010.

Of course I could be wrong, if so look for a correction and/or ask at immigration when you apply for the permit.

Edited by Jingthing

1. Should not be a problem as you have your year extension of stay stamp and your re-entry permit should show that date - if it does not then you do have a problem. So getting the re-entry permit will solve/answer that question.

2. Yes.

3. If you do not extend before 27 May it is gone - but you could always do it again. You should plan to do extension in early May but if have reasons they will usually do a bit earlier.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I have it figured out and my only concern (and expectation) is that the re-entry stamp will say that I have until May 27, 2010, to return. If it does, then no further worries until I have to obtain the one-year extension of the retirement (long-stay) visa.

Thanks again.