Any Tips For Songkran....?

for those of us who like to take photos of people....the Songkran festival is a great opportunity...

but it is also the chance to have our kit destroyed...

any tips on waterproofing?

I have an Olympus E-1 which is claimed to be water resistant....but who wants to risk it..... (at least until i can afford the E-3 or better, and afford to be blase about this one....lol)

I also use the Fuji S100fs a lot because of its 28-400 lens...

I never have a problem when out walking in the village. I just tell them "NO" when they run up with their buckets and in every case they stop and sometimes just give me a respectful sprinkle.

The worse problem in the cities are the lunatic farangs. You need a diver's camera to go anywhere near them.

We need Kan Win here.

He is good at songkran photos. :o

Thank you 'astral' :D

any tips on waterproofing?

I have an Olympus E-1 which is claimed to be water resistant....but who wants to risk it..... (at least until i can afford the E-3 or better, and afford to be blase about this one....lol)

I also use the Fuji S100fs a lot because of its 28-400 lens...

Good post 'fabianfred' :D

Been taking photos of Songkran since 2000 each year learning more and more. I use a 'AquaPac' Euro 125/- (a big condom) to protect my Olympus C-8080WZ point and shoot which cost me 100,000 odd baht in those days with all the trimmings and has done me proud, I must say :D

I also have a Olympus E-3 with 70-300 lens and will only use it in my car with all doors locked,

water resistant
to a point like a little rain, but not 'Sangkran' proof. :D

large.jpg

That was a little rain, now you have the down pour

large.jpg

Yours truly,

Kan Win :wai:medium.jpg

well....... thanks all......I suppose I have far too many cameras anyway so perhaps i shall just use one of the old ones (Fuji S7000) or maybe one I don't like (Panasonic LX-1) in a big poly bag and try to seal a hole around the lens with some rubber bands.

I have some of those plastic 'clips' which are used in the kitchen to quickly seal bags such as the ones bread comes in....one of them to close the large opening of the bag will not be a hassle to use...

'fabianfred', I would try this method out before Songkran just to see how it works.

Another tips is to use a "chamois' to clear the poly bag from water :o

Still the best way is to use a car/pick-up and shoot in comfort knowing you and your camera are safe and dry. Shot take from the inside of me pick-up:-

large.jpg

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D