Suggestion For A New Fishing Forum On Thaivisa

SlackJawChef

Fishing forum  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to have a subforum about fishing. Used to fish a lot, esp. big game fishing. Had my own boat :o, fished tournaments and guided trips. Caught many sails, tuna, marlin etc. No time now anymore, but talk a lot with my collegue, who is an avid fisherman. He makes his own poppers for snakehead etc. Will 'interrogate' him on his secret techniques and hotspots :D

I would like a fishing forum also. As then i can ask what bait people use to catch snake heads as i have tried nearly everything for the last month and nothing a few bites but thats it, this is in a big lake near my house.

I am no expert on snakehead but my bet would be that they are a predatory fish that likes to ambush its prey so I would be trying lures in close to banks and snags. Surface sliders and Halco poppers, also imitation frogs all worked with a lot of action would be my guess.

I have been to Thailand three times in the last 12 months with the main focus being fishing. A fishing forum would be great as TV gets quite a lot of fishing items but they are posted all over the place - usually tucked in amongs comments on particular towns or "where can I go fishing?..." They are hard to find and I only just gort onto this link by accident.

Would it be possible that any fishing posts could be xlinked to a central fishing topic within the "sport" section?

Here's a bit of Chiang Mai info:

Go to Borsang lake, about 10km East of Chiang Mai and fish for a day for B100 plus another B100 if you want to rent tackle. Easy to catch large (1- to 30 kg range) Giant Mekong Catfish. There is a company here in Chiang Mai that will sell you the chance to go fishing at this "dream lake', but you can go yourself just as easily, and it's a lot cheaper! To find the lake head East to Borsang following signs for San Khampaeng; when you reach the traffic lights on the edge of Borsang town/village (very obvious major intersection) turn left through the centre of town (umbrella factories, etc.); follow this smaller road for 2 to 3km looking out for a small red post box on your left (the type mounted on a post) and turn in left immediately after it. Goo down the driveway for about 50m and you are there. Enjoy!

What I would like to know is where else is good to fish around CM? I'm interested in smaller fish; perhaps ones that you can take home and eat...

I'd like to see a forum so that we could discuss rigs, baits, places to fish, etc.

Good luck with the new forum!

Great idea, and so encouraging to see so many fellow anglers out there. I started fishing here about 8 years ago been all over and caught all sorts. I have always gone on my own so dont know all the local names but huge variety of good fighting fish, both fresh and sea.

I enjoy trips to Bung Sam ram (Big cats), and Fishing World (Minburi - big lake much more natural surroundings some decent size fish there too, all sorts including Barramundi, and Bream (at least it looks like a Bream) but the size of the place means there's a bit more challenge). I also enjoy spinning on Srinakarin Dam in Kanchanaburi for Snakehead (using frog shaped surface lures, with huge propellers on the front to create lots of attention, super aggressive fish, be happy to share some more tips) , also good fun is using golden spoons for Pla Chon.

Also been known to charter a few boats, out of Bang Sarae too, catching King's, Cobia, Sailfish, Red Snapper, Grouper, Mahi Mahi, even hooked a Sailfish and small Marlin, all in the Gulf of Thailand.

Edited by quiksilva

I can give some tips about Bangkok.

Big fish and expensive dual pricing (Bungsamran) soi navamin 42.

Big fish and cheap no dual priving but a bit more of a chalenge to catch something (Ngau Nam ) shadow lake near the mall Bang Ke ( i got more directions)

Smaller fish.. in all the ponds whereever you go

Sakuna is supposed to have big fish too its near Bang Na (not 100%) sure

Many ponds with smaller fish near Bang Yai

I hear there is a fishing place near onut too

With small i mean up to 10 kg with big i mean 20 to 100 kg mostly 20 -60 kg (youll catch 20 kg most of the time)

Just use different kind of rods for the smaller fish as for the bigger fish

Both are catfish like fish but its just more fun fishing lighter for the smaller ones.

Pattanakarn 78 has a pond with some good fishing. 20 baht all day for fishing. if you want to keep your fish then it is 45 baht a kilo. My friend caught a 5 kilo fish there yesterday, but he released it so if anyone else wants to have a go at him he is still in there.

Thanks guy's for all the post's and helping to keep this thread alive ....

I used to keep snake head's in a fish tank when I was 12 or 13.

Would come home from school and often find that they had jumped out the tank.

sometimes it would be two or three day's be fore I would find them.. alive and well under a cupboard or behind the couch.

I was amazed at how long they can live out of water. I used to feed them Live bait (feeder goldfish)

They strike so hard, and fast that you can hardly see it. just a cloud of bubbles.

I have not tried fishing for snake head's here not sure if there on Koh Chang ... Would have them in Trat.

I think anything that mimics live bait should do the trick ...... think bass fishing and you probably wont go far wrong

I enjoyTV and reading this thread. I hope it has some leggs My first post. I lived in and around Phuket for 14 yrs. Did some ocean fishing with limited sucess but mostly inland for pla Chon ,pla dook and quite a few others whose name escape me. I am up in Chiang Rai area now. Out by Vien Chia have done some fishing there but haven't been lucky any thing of size. But haven't persude it real hard as just been spending most of my time setting up a rice farm for the wife and building a house. The ponds all have very small fish of many types. But the river past the dam has lots of fishermen I see. Your right about Pla Chon liking the frog and such like lures, usually hit them hard. The best fighting fish by far I have had in Thailand. I am in Saskatchewan Canada now snow finally finishing up melting miss being home . I evvy any of you there now and fishing enjoy

I also like fishing. Though i'm a total novice. I have recently loved up to the Gold Coast and i have told myself that i'm going to try and get out at least once a week once work and stuff settles down. I have also brought this thread up in the Mods forum for discussion. Cant promise anything as its up to George. Will keep you posted.

Thanks Jockstar

even If Gorge doesn't give it the go ahead, I think it would be a great idea if someone that know's, can post a list of the top most common species of Thai fish,

fresh and salt water,

With both there Thai and English names... ever so helpful when fishing with Thai friends to be able to communicate what your after....

Pla Chon = snake head ???

yes..........fishing forum please. go fishing everytime i am in thailand and have caught some wonderful fish here, i would like to share venues and catch reports, so please make this forum happen. afterall there's nothing better then sitting around all day with rod in hand, stinking of fish :o

Great idea for a new forum, fingers crossed we get it. Heres a list of some common saltwater fish. I'm aware that some names in Eng and Thai may be slang or local names.

Cobia = Pla Chon Thale

Baracuda = Pla Sak

Shark = Pla Chalarm

Mullet = Pla Krabok

Grouper = Pla Gow

Stingray = Pla Kabin

Sailfish = Pla tong rom

Marlin = Pla tong teng

Longtom = Pla tong keow

Tuna = Pla O/ Pla tuna

King Mackerel = Pla Insi

Mahi mahi = Pla Ee-to / Pla Tomon

Flatfish = Pla Lin maa

Eel = Plaa Lai

Batfish = Pla Oo chang

Coral trout = Pla Gow daeng

Sweetlips = Pla Hua-lek

Ribbonfish = Pla Dap

Flying fish = Pla Nok-ka-jok

Snapper = Pla Kapong

Longnose emperor = Pla Kuat

Rabbitfish = Pla Kitang

Threadfin salmon = Pla Oo-lao

Milkfish = Pla Men

some in the trevally family

Giant trevally = Pla Kamong

Bigeye jack = Pla hang-liem

African pompano = pla pram/ pla chom ngam

Queenfish = Pla Talang

Gold-spot trevally = Pla Klong

Bludger trevally = Pla Klong ngoo

Rainbow runner = Pla Jerman / Pla Rainbow

So are the powers that be at ThaiVisa sitting around a conference table right now voting on starting a new fishing forum (that is sure to generate more traffic than some of the other forums, such as the health forum for example)?

edit: fish is healthy to eat, so it could be a sub-forum to either the health forum or the food forum. just a thought...

Edited by mrt273nva

So are the powers that be at ThaiVisa sitting around a conference table right now voting on starting a new fishing forum (that is sure to generate more traffic than some of the other forums, such as the health forum for example)?

edit: fish is healthy to eat, so it could be a sub-forum to either the health forum or the food forum. just a thought...

So far, only 44 people have bothered to vote yes. I'd like to see a bit more interest before moving forward on either a forum or subforum, tbh.

I've always wanted to fish the moat in Chiang Mai. There's always a few kids around holding in a line into the water, but they never seem to be catching anything! I have to wonder why when it looks so so easy.

On a serious note, although I don't post often, I voted yes. Fishing for me is food for the soul and even more so when located amongst the natural beauty of Thailand.

So far, only 44 people have bothered to vote yes. I'd like to see a bit more interest before moving forward on either a forum or subforum, tbh.

how many members did the entire ThaiVisa web forum start with?

I vote for a fishing forum. Will be retiring to KKC area in the next year or so, so would love to see tips on where to go and what to use, as well as a freshwater guide to species like the saltwater guide posted previously (thanks!). My wife thinks I am loco falang not to use net and bring home the goods, but there is no explaining the spiritual solace in dropping a line and kicking back with a cold beer.

Looking highly likely that your wish will be granted.

Thanks for all the Help Jockstar.

And thank you everyone that has posted and voted both, for, and against.

last but not least, thank you Gorge for giving us a chance.....

James

Looking highly likely that your wish will be granted.

Thanks for all the Help Jockstar.

And thank you everyone that has posted and voted both, for, and against.

last but not least, thank you Gorge for giving us a chance.....

James

Will let you know more as it happens.

Definately enjoy a bit of fishing. I'm not sure if we'll get a dedicated forum though. Might be a bit too specific.

Could use this thread for all the fishing types to communicate though.

There is a golf section, and that is pretty specific. I think a fishing section should be given a chance.

Well if there's a golf section there should deffo be a fising section, fishing is the worlds largest 'participation' sport so I say get one going.