BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
drtreelove

Insect pests, plant diseases and integrated pest management

16 minutes ago, scubastephen said:

This produce I've used in Australia. Sprayed walls and veranda floors to stop invasion of Portuguese millipedes. Found it killed flys and controled spider infestations for up to 3 months under roofed areas. Which is the reason why I'm looking for it in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

For that purpose I would recommend Chaindrite Stedfast 30 SC, a bifenthrin product which has an even better knock down and longer residual effectiveness than permethrin an its widely available at most garden centers, building supply and supermarkets, and Lazada: 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/chaindrite-stedfast-30sc-30-250-i106082420-s106763063.html

• Like 1

992FD110-4258-4147-9461-CE7C3E089F31.thumb.jpeg.6a64235c8840f94d4250af4d74c898da.jpegHello everyone! I recently retired outside Bangkok and enjoy reading these forums. I now find myself needing some advice from you seasoned experts. 

I recently put in 50 “sai gowlee” plants along two walls for privacy. I dug down a foot, replacing the clay with good dirt before planting. Recently I have noticed leaves going brown, as well as many yellowing and falling off. I don’t know if I have a pest problem or some type of fungal infection. I can’t find the English equivalent name for this plant to help diagnose the problem. Any help from you all would be greatly appreciated! I am enclosing photos. Thanks, and sorry for the long winded post!

79F54572-47EE-4758-8079-CB721CFAD426.jpeg

F83E0724-1251-44AA-9E65-FC21C724F4F0.jpeg

7 hours ago, Tommyknocker said:

992FD110-4258-4147-9461-CE7C3E089F31.thumb.jpeg.6a64235c8840f94d4250af4d74c898da.jpegHello everyone! I recently retired outside Bangkok and enjoy reading these forums. I now find myself needing some advice from you seasoned experts. 

I recently put in 50 “sai gowlee” plants along two walls for privacy. I dug down a foot, replacing the clay with good dirt before planting. Recently I have noticed leaves going brown, as well as many yellowing and falling off. I don’t know if I have a pest problem or some type of fungal infection. I can’t find the English equivalent name for this plant to help diagnose the problem. Any help from you all would be greatly appreciated! I am enclosing photos. Thanks, and sorry for the long winded post!

Leaf miner? Possibly the plants are weakened by transplanting (planting too deep is a common problem), too much water or too much sun? This leaves them open to insect and possibly fungal attack once the insects have left their excrement all over the place. 

Anyway, if the plants are planted at the same depth as they were in their containers, maybe change watering and buy a combi spray insecticide / fungicide.

Difficult to say without actually standing in your garden. You did well to change the soil, maybe you bought the spent mushroom manure you see everywhere and it has sunk down, taking the plants with them?

1 hour ago, cooked said:

Leaf miner? Possibly the plants are weakened by transplanting (planting too deep is a common problem), too much water or too much sun? This leaves them open to insect and possibly fungal attack once the insects have left their excrement all over the place. 

Anyway, if the plants are planted at the same depth as they were in their containers, maybe change watering and buy a combi spray insecticide / fungicide.

Difficult to say without actually standing in your garden. You did well to change the soil, maybe you bought the spent mushroom manure you see everywhere and it has sunk down, taking the plants with them?

Thanks for your quick reply! The dirt I bought was tamped down

and the plants were put in at the same depth as they were in the

pots. I then filled in between them, even though the root balls were touching, to keep them closely spaced. They don’t get a lot of sun, but there still seems to be quite a bit of new growth over the

entire plants (outward and upward). I’ve been watering twice weekly since we get no rain. I’ll see if I can find the combo spray and give it a shot. The tops of the plants seem to suffer the most, so possibly the new growth and tender leaves are being attacked.

I appreciate your help. Lots to learn about gardening here in Thailand, compared to what I experienced back home!

I posted this in another section but this one seems more relevant. I am looking for a source of three organic garden amendments, two of which to deal with grubs in my raised beds and one as an additive to an aquaponics system. Specifically, some beneficial nematodes (Heterorhabditis Bacteriophora), some Milky Spore, and some soluble kelp powder. I have several raised garden beds with exceptionally rich soil that the grubs just love. I understand the Nematodes and Milky Spore are particularly good at eliminating grubs. These products are readily available in N. America and even other countries of SE Asia but I can't find a supplier in Thailand. Due to the nature of the products being live, it seems importation is complicated.

I am not sure how Thai farmers control grubs other than with harmful pesticides but I am open to other methods if anyone knows of a control.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:24 AM, Time to grow said:

I posted this in another section but this one seems more relevant. I am looking for a source of three organic garden amendments, two of which to deal with grubs in my raised beds and one as an additive to an aquaponics system. Specifically, some beneficial nematodes (Heterorhabditis Bacteriophora), some Milky Spore, and some soluble kelp powder. I have several raised garden beds with exceptionally rich soil that the grubs just love. I understand the Nematodes and Milky Spore are particularly good at eliminating grubs. These products are readily available in N. America and even other countries of SE Asia but I can't find a supplier in Thailand. Due to the nature of the products being live, it seems importation is complicated.

I am not sure how Thai farmers control grubs other than with harmful pesticides but I am open to other methods if anyone knows of a control.

Try this:

http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/mbcn/kyf607.html

I haven't seen a predatory nematodes source, but others may have that information.

Kelp solutions are available, mostly in small containers, a liter or less, I haven't seen bulk kelp meal. It's a wonderful soil amendment and trace mineral source, but won't be a direct control for grubs. 

Metarhizium anisopliae.jpg