Insect pests, plant diseases and integrated pest management

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jandtaa, Just when I thought I was catching up with my reading materials, you come up with all this good stuff to go through; thanks. TPI, composting worms that are cultivated in worm bins and the l

A follow up: the advice has been great. The Cotton Rose Tree has been both identified and seemingly cured of mealy bugs. We first used store-bought wood vinegar diluted with water 1L::20L and sprayed

I am NOT advocating for growing or consuming cannabis in Thailand, it is illegal.  But due to the legalization in the USA, there is a tremendous amount of useful information becoming available with th

Posted Images

Anybody know what is doing this to my young mango leaves? It seems to happen at night but I haven't managed to spot the culprit. The cut leaves are not even eaten, just left lying around on the ground. Vandalism!

IMG_2527.JPG

I haven't seen this in mango, but I would suspect a cutworm or leaf cutter bee. If it's happening at night, a cutworm is the most likely suspect. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutworm

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/insects/leaf-cutter-bees.htm

Go out at night and look for pest activity, inspect the stems and under side of leaves closely with a flashlight, to try and get a positive identification. 

Since your tree appears to be in seedling stage and not a fruit producer yet, you could use a chemical insecticide barrier application, like the pyrethroid "bifenthrin", active ingredient in Chaindrite Stedfast 30SC. 

An organic approach would be to spray the foliage and drench the soil with a neem seed extract product, Azadirachtin concentrate, a repellent and reproductive disruptor . And/or a soil treatment (where cutworm larvae may reside during day) of Metarhizium, or Beauveria, entomopathogenic fungi that attack the pest insect's cuticle. 

But there is also the wait and see approach, because the tree will not likely be killed, the insect pest will pass the feeding stage of it's life cycle and the tree will re-foliate and outgrow the susceptible stage of growth. Avoid high NPK chemical fertilizers that stimulate excessive vegetative growth which is tender and attractive to pests. Enrich the soil with compost, and complete organic fertilizer. 

Don

Chaindrite Stedfast 30 SC.jpg

Metarhizium anisopliae225.jpg

Aza.jpg

Beauveria (2018_05_25 14_55_25 UTC).jpg

Thanks for that. Cutworms of some kind sound quite possible and could explain why they just let the leaves drop to the ground (to eat later). They’ve taken all the young leaves off this sapling but they have appeared on other young mango trees. Next time it happens I’ll have a more careful look at night and maybe try a physical barrier around the stem like a ring of outward-facing sticky tape as a first line of defence.