BANGKOK 21 April 2019 20:00
Smithson

Mulch (a Key Component To Growing In The Tropics)

Sorry but your "professionals" have mislead you. If your soil already has the nasties, or any organic fertiliser you add contain bacterial and fungus microbes that might damage the tree then that is what will happen. But the biology in an appropriate organic fertiliser will protect the tree and will out-compete and eliminate the bad stuff that exists in the soil. Chemical fertiliser will not change the plight of the tree. 

Not that this has anything to do with it but mango leaves can kill grazing livestock and chickens, and also inhibit the growth of other plants (" Dried mango leaf powder completely inhibited sprouting of purple nutsedge tubers.").

On 9/22/2018 at 10:03 AM, IsaanAussie said:

Sorry but your "professionals" have mislead you. If your soil already has the nasties, or any organic fertiliser you add contain bacterial and fungus microbes that might damage the tree then that is what will happen. But the biology in an appropriate organic fertiliser will protect the tree and will out-compete and eliminate the bad stuff that exists in the soil. Chemical fertiliser will not change the plight of the tree. 

This is an important point and one that is gaining much acceptance and popularity now, and a phenomenal amount of R&D for specific strains of  biologial fungicides-bactericides and insecticides .  This concept and a variety of cultured materials has been  used for a long time, with actively aerated compost tea and EM Japanese technology products, for soil and foliar applications being the most well known.  Biological fungicides work in an entirely different way than chemical fungicides.  Out-compete is a good term. They colonize (grow on the leaf surface or root surface) and put up a protective barrier against pathogenic organisms.  Some will invade existing diseased tissue in early stages and suppress the advance of the pathogen.

Some products that I have used for successful tree and landscape disease prevention and suppression in the US: 

Actinovate AG (Streptomyces lydicus)

Companion (Bacillus subtilis GB03): Biological fungicide.

Double NickelOG 55 and LC (Bacillus amyloliquefaciens): Microbial fungicide.

I have seen something similar to this in Thailand with a strain of Trichoderma as the activel ingredient. 

RootShield GranulesOG (Trichoderma harzianum Strain T-22): Biological soil treatment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichoderma_harzianum

I have also seen Beauveria bassiana, a biological insecticide. (This is the biological control agent fungus that controls coconut rhinoceros beetle larvae in wood waste an compost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauveria_bassiana

• Like 1

I'm sat watching the leaves fall from the rubber trees and thinking 'mulch'. I'm not going to miss out this year. Another month and I'll be getting the rake out.

• Like 1

Any ideas for about 30sqm of garden.  Pebbles/gravel no good as have kids and may pick up and throw. Cheap as possible as is rented house.  

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

Any ideas for about 30sqm of garden.  Pebbles/gravel no good as have kids and may pick up and throw. Cheap as possible as is rented house.  

1) discipline your kids

2) grass

On 1/12/2019 at 3:33 PM, baansgr said:

Go grab a bale of rice straw somewhere, maybe pay for it. That'll be enough for your garden.

Edited by cooked
  • Like 1