BANGKOK 24 April 2019 01:06
Sign in to follow this  
jandtaa

Composting, compost teas and humanure

Also I see in here comments on bio toilets.

I am constructing one at the moment based kind of on the 'wasterwater garden' principles and would appreciate some feedback and or advice on it if anyone knows about it.

post-79876-1248668203_thumb.jpg

First question is what do they use for the filter....seems in the literature I downloaded they quote a 'special' filter and then in local areas where not available they use a palm product of some kind. I would presume this filter and what it is and how connected is fairly important as it could either block to much or let to large a solids into the system.

So, after about 4 days, should it have a strong rotten egg gas stench to it ??

Hi MrWiggle

Sounds like your brew may have gone anaerobic (There wasn't much sugar for a 100 litre brew, I use 3-4 tablespoons of molasses to a 5 gallon (approx 19 ltr) brew and add more if I'm taking the brew past 3 days.Did you stir it on a regular basis?

Also I would be careful adding uncomposted manure due to the possible pathogens, it is generally recommended that compost rather than manure teas are used on food crops.

have a read here for more information on compost tea soil foodweb 

cheers for now J

Very informative thread. Thanks!!! :)

Hi Folks

Here's an illustrated article on brewing compost tea by Dr. Elaine Ingham of soil foodweb that you may find useful Brewing compost tea

cheers for now J

I did not use uncomposted compost.....it was composted, but not sure if it had gone past its use by date as it was not hot anymore at all. The chicken manure had been composting for 4 weeks.

So if this brew is no good, can I rescue it, or should I throw it and start again ?

I stirred it every 2nd day.

hello I need a few kilos of oat straw (dried) does anyone know where I can get it mailed to me

I am in Pattaya.

thanks

I did not use uncomposted compost.....it was composted, but not sure if it had gone past its use by date as it was not hot anymore at all. The chicken manure had been composting for 4 weeks.

So if this brew is no good, can I rescue it, or should I throw it and start again ?

I stirred it every 2nd day.

I find it really irritating that you stop getting notificationa about additions to a thread if nobody posts for 15 days! Rather lost track of this forum lately.

How did your compost tea turn out Mr Wiggle?

I actually used 2 of the large tubs that paint comes in and poured from one to the other everyday. I found that stirring just didn't get enough oxygen in there. Im not sure, but I think that the heat drives the oxygen out quicker here.

When I was just stirring the mix, it didn't smell at all good. When I added extra sugar and started pouring back and forth to incorporate oxygen, it actually started to smell a bit like wine! There were some squashy mangoes and pappaya in there and I think that they must have fermented. Didn't risk drinking it though, especially as I'd peed in there as well :)

Wonder what happened to Mr Wiggle's tea. 'And Loong....very droll. :D

The answer to all the problems was/is aeration. Blow enough air through your mix and all problems are solved.

Even blowing air through clean water changes the properties of it. It's ability to hold chemicals in solution is magnified a thousandfold.....more. Sewage farm workers have known this for decades, although not the reason why, I suspect.

If you're interested google 'colloids'. A whole new world is revealed.

Regards.

Well composters and tea brewers, here is the latest Isaan Aussie build. A 100 litre tea brewer that runs off your air compressor. No aeration problems here Teletiger, this thing can blow a bubble, just kidding. I set the compressor to about 20psi and then regulate with the air tap on the brewer. A couple of pictures and notes included in attached.

Soil Drench Tea Kit - Brewer.pdf

Isaan Aussie

Edited to remove huge photos, and add pdf version.

Edited by IsaanAussie

That is an impressive piece of kit there IA. How do you dispose of the bleach water? Beats my tube and airstone set-up. :lol:

Regards.

That is an impressive piece of kit there IA. How do you dispose of the bleach water? Beats my tube and airstone set-up. :lol:

Regards.

why I JUST SAW THE BUBBLY THING AND DANG NAB IT IF HE DIDN'T EVEN FIGURE IN THE CURVATURE OF THE EARTH AS HE HAS THE ABILITY TO LEVEL THE AEREATOR PIPES FOPR ANY MINISCULE VARIATION TO LEVEL. yOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING BUT NOT ME i SAW IT HE HASN'T FORGOTTEN TO THINK OF ANYTHING IN HIS OPERATION . jUST AMAZING TO SE3E WHAT HE HAS PUT together in a few years after a bit of well thought out plans. truly amazing asnd will end up being a textbook to raising hogs and anything else associated based on you name it as he has plans for a solar dryer just because he has a roof and can do it. I spent about an hour of intimate association with his hogs (yes and even with him as it is) and I only smelled hogs twice and just as a brief wiff in the air. This is something that can't be imagined as everybody knows within ten kilometers where the nearest hog farm is,...... normally. Truly a new experience I just spent a half of day planting my precious heirtloom tomatoes from Mexico and the US and I usede his compost from the hog manure and it was barely a week and a half old and I would not worry about putting it in my moutha nsd spitting it wher3e it needed to be but really it went into all the beds and then when i did the transplant all the holes wewre filled with the compoist and it was the most sweet smelling earth you could imagine. First class would almost be a derogatory term for this stuff. The Ford "Shooting Break" (how do you like that classification for that old clunker I came in, I/A) was filled inside and on the roof with his gloruious mix as I heade back from the land of war in Si Sa Ket towards a setting sun and i can't reccomend it more, it is what it is all about. Aussie Issan has got it going on too too good. Choke dee and Ford for me

Regards.

Thanks TT, being a real tree hugger I shallow it! Truth is it isnt a very strong solution and as often as not I will dump on the drive or use it to clean the sty, maybe on a patch of weeds.

FEF,

I must have told you a million times, don't blow things out of proportion. But It was a fun day, good luck with the tomatoes. I will be very interested in the collar rot outcome, shouldnt have any, fingers crossed.

Isaan Aussie.

Well composters and tea brewers, here is the latest Isaan Aussie build. A 100 litre tea brewer that runs off your air compressor. No aeration problems here Teletiger, this thing can blow a bubble, just kidding. I set the compressor to about 20psi and then regulate with the air tap on the brewer. A couple of pictures and notes included in attached.

Soil Drench Tea Kit - Brewer.pdf

Isaan Aussie

Hi IA, here's a pic of a worm tea brewer I made to produce 100 litres of worm tea, remarkably similar to yours. How many kg of wormcast are you using? I am using 3 kg of wormcast and 1 litre of molasses per 100 litre. I use an aquarium pump with six tubes, three tubes go to small airstones inside three each 1kg "tea-bag" and three tubes to bigger airstones around the outside. I made up a stainless steel wire basket in which to put the "tea-bags". The basket has a wire top, otherwise the bags float up because of the air being pumped in. Cleaning is simple, one worker with a scrubbing brush.

WormFarmer

post-34165-0-40844800-1298969492_thumb.j

Wormfarmer,

We must catch up again and compare notes. Today I declared war on one neighbours chickens, just two that seem to have developed a taste for my worms. They will lose this battle.

IA.

Hey FEF,

Remember a discussion we had about 6 inch compost worms? Well its true, I have got some at least that long.

IA