BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Foreverford

Green manures, cover crops and nitrogen fixing trees

Ford, glad to hear you were able to get the Sunn Hemp seeds. After spending a lot of time calling variuos govt depts, we were finally told that we would have seeds around the end of the month - that was in March. Since then we've been given variuos excuses and always told they would call in a few weeks when the seeds come in. I've now given up.

What I've been told by lots of Thais is don't bother with the seed (and other organic) schemes, as most stuff goes to people in the know rather than poor farmers. Considering innoculants aren't available, you really have to question how seriuos the govt is.

Smithson,

Governments serious? Of course they are, there are a few in the ranks of officials that seem to jump highest when the prod comes from the top however. Now with the wet season started their eyes will be on rain fed rice no doubt.

IA

Ford, glad to hear you were able to get the Sunn Hemp seeds. After spending a lot of time calling variuos govt depts, we were finally told that we would have seeds around the end of the month - that was in March. Since then we've been given variuos excuses and always told they would call in a few weeks when the seeds come in. I've now given up.

What I've been told by lots of Thais is don't bother with the seed (and other organic) schemes, as most stuff goes to people in the know rather than poor farmers. Considering innoculants aren't available, you really have to question how seriuos the govt is.

Last year the Land Development Office in Chiang Mai gave us free black beans and threw in innoculants as well. They wanted to give me more innoculants but I wasn't sure what type I needed. The regular people working in the office all seemed knowledgeable & helpful. I can't speak to their big bosses.

I planted some nitrogen fixing trees at my ex-farm in Plok, that did wonders for the local micro-climate, but I never did find out the genus and species.

A big nursery in Uttaradit (I hope it is still there, it was a great nursery) recommended it. It grows very tall very fast--it grew 10 meters in two years from spindly little plants, faster even than Nok Yung and taller but with similar leaves and purple flowers. I makes a perfect upper story, everything grew beautifully under the filtered shade and tiny leaf mulch it provided. If anybody knows the name of a tree like that, it might save me a trip to Plok and/or Uttaradit.

I know of one factory just outside Korat City has been hiring Cambodians (and Laotians as well I think) since mid November 2012. These employees are given a place to stay in a newly build block of flats just opposite the factory. 4 per room, 280 rooms in total (go do the math). Rent, electricity, etc. will be deducted by the employer and paid directly to the landlord.

eh?

Last year the Land Development Office in Chiang Mai gave us free black beans and threw in innoculants as well. They wanted to give me more innoculants but I wasn't sure what type I needed. The regular people working in the office all seemed knowledgeable & helpful. I can't speak to their big bosses.

Hi Do you have an address for the land developement office in English and Thai if possible,,Thanks

Hi Do you have an address for the land developement office in English and Thai if possible,,Thanks

Addresses can be found here

In English

http://www.ldd.go.th/EFiles_html/introduction/Ec04021.htm

In Thai

http://www.ldd.go.th/aboutldd/intro08.html

Addresses can be found here

In English

Comodo says these two sites are unsafe and will not allow me to access them. Can someone post the address here please?

Thank you Loong.

I just got back from there and got 25 kg of jack bean. They did not have the sun hemp so I went ahead and took the jack bean even though I did not know if it would serve my purpose or not.

After doing some research I found out that the bean is slightly toxic which would not be so great for my chickens so I am going to still try and get the sun hemp by buying it.

Thank you Loong.

I just got back from there and got 25 kg of jack bean. They did not have the sun hemp so I went ahead and took the jack bean even though I did not know if it would serve my purpose or not.

After doing some research I found out that the bean is slightly toxic which would not be so great for my chickens so I am going to still try and get the sun hemp by buying it.

I have found Lablab to grow excellent here in CM, and my rabbits love to eat the leaves (which it puts out loads of in the summer). I am not sure why the Thai government does not promote Lablab. My guess is they will catch on eventully.

Thank you Loong.

I have found Lablab to grow excellent here in CM, and my rabbits love to eat the leaves (which it puts out loads of in the summer). I am not sure why the Thai government does not promote Lablab. My guess is they will catch on eventully.

Thanks for the info. Any idea where to get the seed?

Thank you Loong.

Thanks for the info. Any idea where to get the seed?

Dont be too quick with giving up on the beans, most of the toxic issues can be resolved by sundrying or cooking or even fermenting.

Aren't all beans slightly toxic?

Kidney beans have the highest toxicity, I believe. Can't remember red or black.

Aren't all beans slightly toxic?

Kidney beans have the highest toxicity, I believe. Can't remember red or black.

Soybeans, cassava, sweet potatoes,on and on. Many vegetables have some components that are either toxic or provide some negative impact on the digestion. They occur in minute amounts and can be dealt with if required. Mostly dependant on the total dietary proportion.

In terms of green manure crops the important thing is to realise that while they fix atmospheric nitrogen while growing, many expend much more when they fruit or flower. In most cases you can have the soil nitrogen or the crop, but not the cake and eat it too.