BANGKOK 19 August 2019 04:48
Sign in to follow this  
jandtaa

Organic aquaculture and aquaponics

had a very brief scan of the posts above, and didn't see a mention, so i'll direct you to a handy DVD i bought from the Permaculture Research Institute in Australia. http://permaculture.org.au/store/

(for some reason i cant get on, to get you the exact page, but google it!.

Actually all their DVD should be useful for some of the topics i see posted up here.

cheers

jeff

had a very brief scan of the posts above, and didn't see a mention, so i'll direct you to a handy DVD i bought from the Permaculture Research Institute in Australia. http://permaculture.org.au/store/

(for some reason i cant get on, to get you the exact page, but google it!. I dont have the title here either, i lent it out. but its called something really creative like - aquaponics made easy.

Actually all their DVDs should be useful for some of the topics i see posted up here. just bought the 12 dvd set of the permaculture instructors course.

cheers

jeff

where does one get tilapia fingerlings in bangkok or surrounding area? for pickup or delivery?

thanks

hi there,

you get tilapia and other fingerlings at Chatuchak market, sector aquarium (close the the entrance of JJ Market).

If you are interested in aquaponics, please visit http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquaponics-Thailand/170218083004597

Cheers

Ancient thread! I'm in Kona Hawaii..its cooler here than Thailand, same latitude..subtropical. I heard someone on Hawaii Conversation, on Hawaii Public Radio, which can be found on Facebook, or as a podcast, was talking about the engineering of hydroponics, the plumbing is the magic key, he said its all in the angles of the plumbing!

I'll try to find it for the sake of all. Maybe you all have figured it out!

I'm ready to try!

Hi, just discovered this site. I have seen a system that uses two fish tanks, quite small with about 30/40 tilapia which youfeed fish food, the water is airiated with pump and another pumpsends water toa large water tank around 12 inches deep and 3 by 6 feet with a polystyrene sheet about 1 inch thick on water surface. There arevegetablesgrowing directlyinto the water which receives certain nitrates from he tilapias poo. The wateris pumpedback through a filter to the fish tank. Theveg grow well and quickly with no insects to eat them. The fish are availableto eat when big. No soil, no plant feed, no water additives, it works.

Hi All ! I'm planning an aquaponics system. Anyone knows where to buy Rock Dust, preferably in Issan area.

Rock Dust is used to really grow the veggies & herbs, as these minerals is lacking from the fish poo.

It is also "Fish Friendly", and will not harm them in any way.

Also excellent for soil amendment in your garden.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/429075-azomite-mineral-product/

an old thread that may help you , i dont use it in my AP system , have not seen any real nutrient def yet , its not that the nutrients are missing in an AP system , they are present but if your PH is not correct then the plants will not take them up ... i keep mine around 6.2 .....

good luck

cdmtdm; Thanks a lot - interesting thread - but a bit expensive. I'd be looking at 100,000 THB plus shipping to Laos...

What do you use for PH adjustment in the water ?

yes and i dont think you need it ... hydrochloric acid is what i use for the ph on the plants..

Wow! You guys are really going at it! That's great, even though I feel like a little kid. I am glad to find some contributors with similar interests. I live in a village in Chiang Rai provence. I am vegetarian and interested in further developing my home and garden involving self sufficiency and organic and natural farming projects. Made lots of progress this year before I had to start traveling; my compost piles around the property are doing great and produce squash before I can even finish! But mostly my project is to continue to finish my fish pond. When it rains, water will channel down into the pond; then with the overflow and fish poop, I will channel that water out into an aquaponics section of the garden and also to the "earth" garden itself. Around the pond I will continue a Thai-Japanese garden theme, but at the pond, there is a circular bricked area so we can relax under the shade, play some guitar, have a cocktail, watch the fish, and at night, perhaps other activities under the glow of the moon and stars.

I just started digging one day and ended up starting a pond project. I am continuing to learn (from you too) about this; it's very intriguing all the different ideas. My main mission was to make sure the pond (2m diameter) would not leak in the future: hopefully I overdid it with various layers of cement/wire mesh/cement/rubber-plastic-cardboard/ and finally a thick liner with soft material on both sides to try to minimize chances of a puncture of roots or whatever. When I get back I need to find and install a pump and what do you call it - water air cleaner - and then get some Koi - and then have a cold one!

Will enjoy reading this topic further, especially later on. ;)

Sky