Petchaboon

Kinz

Hey all,

Firstly sorry if this has been put in the from forum but wasn't too sure where it should of gone.

I am just wanting to hear from anyone who has been to Petchaboon. I don't really know anything about the place.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Like how big it is, whats there to do there, do many tourist go there, tyoe of people who live there, pretty much anything you know.

Thanks a lot.

I am just wanting to hear from anyone who has been to Petchaboon. I don't really know anything about the place.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Like how big it is, whats there to do there, do many tourist go there, tyoe of people who live there, pretty much anything you know.

Phetchabun, here is the skinny from my limited perspective ....

- About 3 hours drive north of Bkk (about 250-300 km), all main roads. A car and driver with door-to-door service from Don Muang will run you about 4000 ThB. Quite expensive by Thai standards, but worth it if you can afford it and want the convience of door-door service from the airport.

- It has a small airport with regional puddle jumper service (though I haven't taken the air service to there).

- There is bus service from Mo Chit station outside of BKK, but no direct train service that I know of.

- City size, if I had to wager a guess I'd say somewhere around 50K-75K or perhaps a bit larger.

- The Kosit Hill Hotel on the south side of town is quite nice. Perhaps a bit expensive by Thai standards, but IMHO reasonably priced (around 1600 ThB per night IIRC). Nice restaurant. A/C in the rooms. Plenty of snacks and drinks for sale in the lobby.

- Be wary of the tuk-tuk drivers who don't see too many falang up that way and will try to charge you an arm and a leg for minimal service.

- There are several banks with ATM's, as well as a few internet cafe's (though don't expect lightning speed).

- There are several nice clubs and restaurants if you want to go out for some nightlife.

- IMHO, it is a good home base if you want to go visit some of the national parks in that area of the country.

- Other than that, it is similar to many other medium sized towns that I've seen in the central part of the country.

HTH ....

Its the next jangwat (province or county) north of me (Nakorn Sawan), its not that big a province mainly farming, the main town (petchabun) is a medium size regional town, they have more mountains than Nakorn Sawan, there are'nt mant falangs, my wifes cousin is a policeman there. Really you need to be a little more sepcific than " pretty much anything you know.", although I've only been up there a few times, it only an hour away. If you want to know anythig specificaly, either post here (or they now have a new "north of Bangkok forum") or PM me I'd be happy to try and answer you as life there is not much different from here.

Cheers RC

Thanks for the replies. At this point in time i don't have any specific questions but may do later. But if there is more anyone can add to this please do so.

I just wanted to get a general idea of the place.

Thanks again

Some very nice national parks in the Northern part of the province.

Famous khanom jeen noodles in Lom Kao district in the North. :D

And famous grilled chicken in Wichianburi distrcit in the South. :D :D

Wild nightlife.

Err.. okay, well actually not for the last one.. the provincial capital is a totally standard deal for upcountry Thailand. :o It's interesting that it's exactly in between Central, Northern and North Eastern Thailand.