Teachers permit

Posting yet again.

Have learnt I'll need a Teachers Permit to legaly teach in Thailand.

So how do I apply?  Where do I go what paper work do I need?

Most importantly right now, do I need my Non Imm B visa first, or not?

My employers are of little help, they've only done this once before, and they speak very little English.  

I have a degree in Physics and a 40 hour 'on line' TEFL course certificate from a school based in the U.K.

I also have 10 months experience of teaching in a certain country which may be not too far from here and which I won't be able to mention or I'll be in trouble.

Will my degree and budget TEFL be sufficient to get the permit?

Any help appreciated.

Yes, you do need your non-imm B visa to get a teachers permit.  You also need a work permit.  You should also have a tax card to pay your taxes.

Or....

You can do like a lot of us teachers do.

Work using only your tourist visa, or get your multi entry non-imm B visa and never mind the rest.  It means you'll have to leave the country every 3 months.... but don't you need a break from the pollution and traffic every three months or so anyway  :D

But seriously, if you want to do it "right"  :o  You'll need to get your non-imm B, work permit, tax card, and teachers permit.

How many teachers have a teachers permit???  I've never seen one before  B)

As for the degree and "budget TEFL".  Yes that should be enough.  I assume you're from the UK, so being a native speaker is enough to a lot of schools.

Also, you can't get in trouble by teaching in a country you're not in anymore.  Besides, This is Thailand, nobody cares  :laugh:  :laugh:

Thanks for your help Eric.

I've also been teaching here for ten months on tourist visa.  School now wants me to be legit.

I don' fully understand you though.

Is there any advantage in having a non Imm B visa over having just a tourist visa?

And presumably every few months you have to reaply for a new one with the relevant documentation, (letter from school etc)?  Do the authorities not get suscpicious that you're regularly, as they might see it, in the process of getting a Non Imm B visa to get a work permit?

Thanks.

Guest IT Manager

My wife is teaching lsewhere in asia for 1 year earning over 1 million baht, but wants to come back here at the end to start teaching using a process she has prefected there with stunning results.

She wants to know about this teaching visa..is it the non immigrant B she has already, jsut with a different suffix or is it completely different?

TIA

###### :o

East:

A tourist visa expires in 60 days with an option to extend it for another 30 days.  90 days in total.

So, you will have to leave the country every 90 days.

-----

A multiple entry non-immigrant visa is good for 90 days, then you have to leave the country, and come back, doing this for 1 year.

--- unless ---

You have a work permit.  Then you can sync your visa and work permit to the end of your school's contract, up to 1 year.

Advantages and disadvantages:

Advantage of being a tourist:

You don't have to pay taxes.  

Tourist police will actually help you if you need it.

Disadvantages of being a tourist:

You must leave the country every 90 days.

You can't get medical coverage from your school.

You'll pay full medical costs at the hospital.

You'll never be able to get residency (like there’s any chance in #### anyway).

Immigration might someday ask for proof of income.  You can't legally work in Thailand as a tourist. (Note: might!!!! ask.  I've heard of this happening only once to a guy after living here for 5 years on a tourist visa)

######:

Your wife can probably teach with her existing visa.  

For her to be legal, she will need a non-immigrant B visa.  Once she has that, she will need a work permit, tax card, and teachers license.

I know for a fact that a lot of teachers are not legal.  Only 2 out of the 37 teachers at my school are legal.

So - up to you  :o