Phetchabun - Guesthouses

korkenzieher

Having googled madly for a couple of days, I am not managing to find much local information about Phetchabun. Specifically, I am finding next to nothing about local accommodation. There is stuff about a handful of resort type places, but I see nothing about guesthouses or anything similar, and really precious little about the town.

We should be visiting from about the 12th for 4 or 5 days over Songkhran, and I have no real wish to stay in the GF's moobaan, 10km outside town. I don't really need highlife, but a decent guesthouse (list? location, phone numbers, perhaps even a website?; A/C and ideally wifi) would be much appreciated. Additionally, the only map I can find of the town itself is a line-drawing, which locates 3 hotels,and a couple of administrative buildings. Anything better available?

Thanks in advance.

Can't help with guest house but I use the Kosit Hill which has rooms for less than 1,000 baht if booked online. Its a monster of a building with focus on conventions so not the greatest but it's centrally located and rooms are fine.

Thanks. I think that is one of the half dozen or so on Phetchabun.co.th (which blows up my firefox & my firewall, forsome reason!). Good to know that it is central. That is part of the problem - not knowing the layout, it is hard to know whether the hotels mentioned are way out of town somewhere. The only ones I have (on the line map) are the Asia, Burapa (neither of which I have so far found numbers for) and a place called the Wandl, which I can't find any reference to whatsoever!

It seems there is really very little information relevant to Phetchabun compared to, say, Udonmap for Udon Thani, or HHAD for Hua Hin though.

google maps satellite view allows quite a good zoom factor on Phetchabun city. Hotels are not marked, though.

Kosit Hill, the most common recommendation, near the bend of Samakkhi Chai (road 21) in the southern side of town. At the bend, there is a parking lot for busses (the bus terminal itself is some 100 meters towards downtown). The next buidling complex to the southwest - with red roofs and a swimming pool - is Kosit Hill. Rooms are 500 - 3000 baht (taken from a paperback travel guide). Stayed in a 1000baht room, very decent, buffet breakfast included.

Burapa is located in the very corner between Samakkhi Chai (road 21) and Nikorn Bamrung in the northern part of town. Next to the main road, therefor a bit noisy. Stayed in 300 baht room with A/C and TV, only missed a fridge. Breakfast not included, but restaurant available.

No experience with guesthoses (Wandi, M Pavillion, Lan Ngoen, Hiu Phai)

I suppose posting phone numbers is not allowed, so I'll PM you

mfG :o

Andi

I am planning to go there in end May. I hope there will be more suggestions on the guests house here in Phetchabun. The Kosit Hill resort seems to be a better choice at the moment.

BTW, my GF lives in Wangban, LomKao. Is it far from Phetchabun town? Are there accomodation in LomKao? My geography on this part of thailand is really really weak, sorry.

BTW, my GF lives in Wangban, LomKao. Is it far from Phetchabun town? Are there accomodation in LomKao? My geography on this part of thailand is really really weak, sorry.

Lom Kao is about 50-60 kilometers (35-40 miles) north of Phetchabun. Next bigger town is Lom Sak (ap. 15km).

You may have a look at

www.budget.co.th /images/world/worldclass_loei_eng.pdf

(remove the spaces, I'm not yet allowed to post URLs)

esp. pages 6 and 10.

No experience on hotels there, only once visited to see the Pho Khun Pha Mueang Statue and to let cotton be prepared for stuffing blankets.

Add says "20 Single and 25 Double rooms, 45 total, cost 450 baht 99/555 moo ban Homeland, Tambon Na Ngua, A. Muang Phetchabun, Tel. 05...400 , Fax 05...445 ext. 121"

Can anybody tell where this โฮมแลนด์รีสอร์ท is? Didn't find Mooban Homeland on any map, not even on the one on homeland-resort.com.

Google maps (maps.google.com) areal images are great, but a bit old, Big C and Lotus Tesco not visible.

Edited by Puschl

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's already been discussed and doesn't really answer the initial question, but I'll add my late recommendation for Kosit Hill as well. I've never seen prices nearly as low as 300b (must be from an old guidebook), I always pay around 1000-1500b.

Kosit is like a beacon of civilization in the sleepy city of Phetchabun, I can't say enough good things about it, I've stayed there on probably 10 different occasions and I haven't had one bad experience with facilities or staff. The location is also prime, being just outside the city "center" (turn left and you are in the city) and a short ride over to the new tesco/bigc (turn right, and you are there in 5 minutes).

I've also stayed at the Burapa, probably the next best hotel in town, however does not compare with Kosit at all. Hotel is old (and it shows), rooms are very small, and very very basic. We only lasted about an hour in the room before we looked for other options, and thankfully found Kosit just doen the road.

Both Kosit Hill and Burapa have night clubs/discos which are both good (as there is not much to do in Phetchabun). Both clubs don't get going until about 10-11pm, both seem to have live bands playing almost all the time, and always seem to be busy on all nights of the week. Kosit's club seems more upscale, but is sometimes a little dead, you will find more young Thais at the Burapa. There is also a Karaoke at the Kosit Hill that seems to be quite popular with the locals, though I have never tried it.

Sorry I have no info on guesthouses or other hotels, I'd love to know of other options as well, just for the variety. I'm very interested to have a look at Homeland resort/hotel from the posts above, I should be out that way sometime around June. If somebody checks it out before me, please post about it.

• 7 months later...

As of a couple months ago, this thread should inlude a mention of Shuanshom guesthouse.

Rooms currently from 500B with breakfas. TV, wifi throughout, bar, restaurant.

The place is close to the city center, on hway 2385 just behind Big C and Tesco.

I can't advertize here, so PM me for details.

Disclaimer: I built the place. :)

Thanks,

Got that. It is looking like the Kosit then. Main issue for me, is that I don't want to get up there and struggleover Songkhran, so booking in advance would set my mind at rest somewhat.

mfG. :)

Don't bother with Homeland as the area is a bit tacky and a good 5 to 7 kilometers out of the City centre.

Go to page 2 on this forum and check out the Kosit Hill Hotel brochure i posted a couple of months ago complete with telephone/contact number.

I can recommend the Kosit Hill hotel as i stayed there for four nights in a double room with my misses who hails from a village some 12 kilometers out of Phetch.

The up side to the hotel is it’s only a seven minute walk into the City centre and five minutes to the bus station.

As far as I know there is no motorbike or car hire available in Phetchabun and the only hire available at the Kosit Hill Hotel is pushbike hire or a Thai driven mini-bus.

There’s not much night-time activity in the City but we spent a few enjoyable evenings at the 2001 restaurant which has a limited western menu and according to the misses, good Thai food and good service with large Heinekens (warm) costing 90 baht and a bucket of ice at 10 or 15 baht plus a band playing a mixture of Thai/farang music.

The restaurant had a small number of foreigners in there each time we went.

We had a trip out one afternoon to a local reservoir which has a couple of restaurants overlooking the lake.

Sadly when I was there heavy rains and flooding was affecting northern Thailand which limited our movements.

• 11 months later...

As of a couple months ago, this thread should inlude a mention of Shuanshom guesthouse.

Rooms currently from 500B with breakfas. TV, wifi throughout, bar, restaurant.

The place is close to the city center, on hway 2385 just behind Big C and Tesco.

I can't advertize here, so PM me for details.

Disclaimer: I built the place. :)

whats the name of your guesthouse,reply to [email protected]

Thanks,

Got that. It is looking like the Kosit then. Main issue for me, is that I don't want to get up there and struggleover Songkhran, so booking in advance would set my mind at rest somewhat.

mfG. :)

Don't bother with Homeland as the area is a bit tacky and a good 5 to 7 kilometers out of the City centre.

Go to page 2 on this forum and check out the Kosit Hill Hotel brochure i posted a couple of months ago complete with telephone/contact number.

I can recommend the Kosit Hill hotel as i stayed there for four nights in a double room with my misses who hails from a village some 12 kilometers out of Phetch.

The up side to the hotel is it's only a seven minute walk into the City centre and five minutes to the bus station.

As far as I know there is no motorbike or car hire available in Phetchabun and the only hire available at the Kosit Hill Hotel is pushbike hire or a Thai driven mini-bus.

There's not much night-time activity in the City but we spent a few enjoyable evenings at the 2001 restaurant which has a limited western menu and according to the misses, good Thai food and good service with large Heinekens (warm) costing 90 baht and a bucket of ice at 10 or 15 baht plus a band playing a mixture of Thai/farang music.

The restaurant had a small number of foreigners in there each time we went.

We had a trip out one afternoon to a local reservoir which has a couple of restaurants overlooking the lake.

Sadly when I was there heavy rains and flooding was affecting northern Thailand which limited our movements.

There is a place to RENT motorbikes in Phetchabun, The huge motorbike shop just near the Burapa. I also agree that Kosit hill is about the best and most convenient although the Shuanshom guesthouse spoken about looks nice as I pass it nearly everyday. Just about a Km outside of town and at the back of the BIG C and Tesco Superstores.

i recently stayed at the Burapa. they have 2 parts. the one close to the road (older) but still clean etc for 350b a night and a modern section at the back for 500b a night. 24 hr restuarant/bar and a nightclub downstairs. For the money. i think its outstanding. also as someone else mentioned just down the road is a motocycle rental place.

kosit is further out. friends have stayed there and say its nice. but you need transport to get around.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Phetchabun last week staying at the Kosit Hill hotel in a so-called deluxe double room and at 1400 baht per night it was poor value. The room stank of fusty mould which made me think the room had never been aired in months.

Looking around the room both myself and my misses failed to see a reason why it was classified as a deluxe room.

My misses did the booking part with reception and never received a reciept which made me wonder what sort of room we was in?

Over the years i've stayed at the Kosit Hill a number of times and this was the first disappointment i've had but seeing as it was only for one night i kept my thoughts and opinions to myself and never complained.

The following day we headed up to the Cha Li border crossing to have my 1-year O visa stamped up for 90 days.

Thats another story.

The experience at the Kosit prompted me to check out the Shuanshom guesthouse which is at the rear of Big C and Tesco Lotus.

From the outside the guesthouse looks very nice (Blue in colour) but after checking out a room in the main building then one to the rear it has to be said it is all very basic and can best be described as Thai style Hong accommodation. The room's had no chairs, nor did the tiled areas to the front of each room which meant your only seating was the bed.

Both my wife and myself were of the opinion that if the owner wishes to attract foreigners then he needs to upgrade the accommodation.

Edited by nam-thip

Does anybody have a name or phone number for the motorbike rental place "near the Burapha"? I'm hoping to rent a motorbike next week. If there's no joy there, the nearest large rental centre for bikes would be Khon Kaen and that's a long way away.