In Cm, Picking An Area To Live ...

Harmonica

Looking for .... 3-bdrm, 2 bath, garden, unfurnished (or partly) -- single storey (pref.), covered parking -- the concrete look is unavoidable, but there should be some trees! ..... all this in a relatively wooded area upto 25 Km.

Initial observations -- working outwards from downtown (where I certainly do not want to live) the routes (& some sois) leading to Samoeng, Maejo, DoiSaket, Sankampaeng can be easily eliminated. Again, this is just an initail obs.; if I'm missing something please advise -- spent an entire 3 days going thru' these areas and have looked at several houses (with/without the help of an agent).

What I'm left with is the general Hang dong area as the only viable option.

Comments and guidance please.

Then, onto price for rentals -- houses in upscale mubaans like LH, Home in Park and a couple others in the canal area and Regent 1 in San Sai seem to be in the price range 15,000 & up. The really unattractive ones in these mubaans seem to go for 15,000, but are conspicuous in their inferior "look" compared to surrounding houses.

Are these "farang" prices or are they fairly priced?

On the CM-Maejo road, from 1 km. all the way upto 22 Km. I was shown several houses in the 7,500-15,000 range. Only one was worth considering, but @ 20 Km. and 10,000 Baht/mo. I'd like to see if Hang Dong can offer something similar.

Yeah, I'm in the tunnel, not lost or floundering, but there is no light in sight just yet -- any guidance is appreciated.

Gracias muchachos and muchachas

Were'd you get these prices? They seem 3 times as high as should be. Hold on, dont' tell.. !!! REAL ESTATE AGENCIES, n'est pas? chai mai? :D

Anyway:

" 3-bdrm, 2 bath, garden, unfurnished (or partly) -- single storey (pref.), covered parking "

The house I rent is like that, except that it has 4 bahtrooms (God knows why), maid room and is two stories high. My rent is 5000 baht, and it's in a popular compound off the Hang Dong road, about 6 kms from town.

I wouldn't call it 'farang' prices so much, perhaps more 'clueless newbie' prices? :o Or 'clueless Japanese expat' prices? Or '... ok. :D

Harmonica,

Do you have a Thai significant other?

If so either hire a car or motorbike and drive around where you think you want to live. Places will advertise in Thai and sometimes english on the outside of their houses. If a Thai does the bidding and initial looksee,then the price can be much, much better than going through an agent or popping your own face in the door.Be prepaired to spend a bit of time doing this. :o

Harmonica,

Do you have a Thai significant other?

If so either hire a car or motorbike and drive around where you think you want to live. Places will advertise in Thai and sometimes english on the outside of their houses. If a Thai does the bidding and initial looksee,then the price can be much, much better than going through an agent or popping your own face in the door.Be prepaired to spend a bit of time doing this. :D

Excellent advice from ol' Chuchok there, Harmonica. This is exactly what we did and the wife always telephoned and even managed to get a reduction on our current abode. Safe to emerge from the bushes only when she's signed the forms. :o

Chanchao, yes these prices did come from a RE agent. I'm getting the hang of it now -- it took me a couple days to realize this. Thanks.

Chuchok & Jackr, significant other, yes -- car, yes. Driving around and asking is getting better results -- far superior to dealing with agents. Thanks.

Chanchao,

Regarding the 5,000 Baht/mo. rental price for your 3/4, 2-storey house -- that is an awesome price, but can that price (or thereabouts) be gotten in the nicer mubaans off the hang dong road or does one have to find such deals outside mubaans in general?

For example, in Land and House or Baan Lung-a-loon; some of these houses are going for 3+ mil. -- is 5,000 realistic there?

Thanks

Chanchao,

Regarding the 5,000 Baht/mo. rental price for your 3/4, 2-storey house -- that is an awesome price, but can that price (or thereabouts) be gotten in the nicer mubaans off  the hang dong road or does one have to find such deals outside mubaans in general? 

For example, in Land and House or  Baan Lung-a-loon; some of these houses are going for 3+ mil. -- is 5,000  realistic there?

Thanks

Yes, that is the point. New houses of that size don't go for anywhere near 5,000 a month in rent. Still lots of nice, older homes in that range, though getting harder and harder to locate them. If the mortgage is more than 5,000, I sincerely doubt the rental price would be much less.

Chanchao,

Regarding the 5,000 Baht/mo. rental price for your 3/4, 2-storey house -- that is an awesome price, but can that price (or thereabouts) be gotten in the nicer mubaans off  the hang dong road or does one have to find such deals outside mubaans in general? 

For example, in Land and House or  Baan Lung-a-loon; some of these houses are going for 3+ mil. -- is 5,000  realistic there?

Thanks

Hi Harmonica, I'm in Land & Houses before Mae Jo in a new estate. Apparently the house is worth 2+ mil and we're renting for 7,000 a month. Was 8,000 but the missus brought them down a bit. It was totally unfurnished, three bed, two bathrooms and there's a nice landscaped garden. I fear the man will put the rent up when the contract expires in a couple of months now he knows a farang is living here.

>>>>>> Yes, that is the point. New houses of that size don't go for anywhere near 5,000 a month in rent. Still lots of nice, older homes in that range, though getting harder and harder to locate them. If the mortgage is more than 5,000, I sincerely doubt the rental price would be much less. <<<<<<<

Yeah, this cleans up some false data I was working with. Thanks.

>>>>> I'm in Land & Houses before Mae Jo in a new estate. Apparently the house is worth 2+ mil and we're renting for 7,000 a month. Was 8,000 but the missus brought them down a bit. It was totally unfurnished, three bed, two bathrooms and there's a nice landscaped garden. I fear the man will put the rent up when the contract expires in a couple of months now he knows a farang is living here. <<<<<<<

Hi Jackr, relieved and glad to hear that you've found yours and so recently, I might add -- there is hope for me after all!

I actually did drive thru' that Land and House park and remember the setting quite well.

Did you have any preferential area in CM (like Hang Dong etc. ) before finding this particular house? What's it like living in the Maejo area? .... retaurants, gyms, etc. within range?

When I've crossed that bridge I might hit you up for some tips on buying furniture and appliances. There are a few threads dealing with this subject, but some new input will definitely be welcome.

Many thanks.

Saw this new ad a few minutes ago...

http://www.chiangmainews.com/classifieds/detail.php?id=5418

3 bed rm - B 5,000 for Rent

Date

01-19-2005

By dm

Email

[email protected]

City / Location

Chiangmai - Near CMU

Phone

09 7002248 / 097002966

Description

1 storey house w/3 bed rms/1 shower rm/ good condition and good locationr but no furniture provided. Location : on cannel road just 4 km. to CMU and 3 km to Airport. Rate : B 5,000/month w/2 month deposit /1 month advance for montly rental rate (totally B. 15,000 pay when signing contract)

>>>>> I'm in Land & Houses before Mae Jo in a new estate. Apparently the house is worth 2+ mil and we're renting for 7,000 a month. Was 8,000 but the missus brought them down a bit. It was totally unfurnished, three bed, two bathrooms and there's a nice landscaped garden. I fear the man will put the rent up when the contract expires in a couple of months now he knows a farang is living here. <<<<<<<

Hi Jackr, relieved and glad to hear that you've found yours and so recently, I might add -- there is hope for me after all!

I actually did drive thru' that Land and House park and remember the setting quite well. 

Did you have any preferential area in CM (like Hang Dong etc. ) before finding this particular house?  What's it like living in the Maejo area? .... retaurants, gyms, etc. within range?

When I've crossed that bridge I might hit you up for some tips on buying furniture and appliances.  There are a few threads dealing with this subject, but some new input will definitely be welcome. 

Many thanks.

Apologies for the late reply, Harmonica, I've been off the machine for a couple of days. We wanted to find somewhere just outside the ring road really. Had a bit of a look around the Hang Dong Road and Canal Road areas but didn't see much.

As for living here...there's bugger all here to be honest. Trying in vain for a long time to find a half decent gym. There's one in the Land & Houses complex at the main gate but it is the pits and seldom, if never, maintained. One in Mae Jo Uni as well, but not very good, which only leaves CMai. Restaurant-wise, there's one or two that ain't bad, but nothing in the wining-and-dining bracket if you know what I mean? Bars, same thing; just the odd road-side jobby here and there. What they should be doing here, is building a decent supermarket and eatery area to go with the superb swimming pool complex. At the moment we've got a little shop, restaurant, bakery, and hair dresser.

Furniture stores are all over but you'd definitely be best off finding what you like and sending the wife/gf in to get the discounts. There's a 'Koncept' furniture store in between here and CMai, other side of road. Pretty good range of bed and wardrobe combinations. 'Home Pro' always good, if a little expensive, for quality products, and 'Winner' somewhere in between.

Hope you get what you're looking for :o