Farang German Web Designer Shot On Koh Phangan

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how long some posters think someone has to live a place to be considered worthy of an opinion. As I understand it this man has lived on KPG for over 15 years. He has invested time, money & hisself into the community. Why shouldn't he be able to express his opinion about his home. I hope he makes a full recovery.

one might suggest the obvious response to this would be because it will get "hisself" shot.

of course he is entitled to an opinion, everyone is entitled to an opinion. i also wish him a full recovery.

as a 15 year resident i would also suspect that he was aware of the kamnan in Sri Thanu being shot as well as the harrassment of an older monk near paradise waterful. These are among two incidents i can vaguely recall and i spend only 2-3 months a year in chaloklam.

There are plenty of additional killings in around baan tai and haadrin i can recall as well as countless business related beatings administered to both thais and farang.

at least the crime cannot be called racist.

Don't know the guy or his newspaper but it sounds like he's a bit of an idiot,if he's so wasted he obviously turned up 15 years ago for the full-moon parties himself,now he decides he's had enough of them and starts slandering local people(who may or may not be innocent) on his own website! :o

I'm sorry to hear he got shot but if you play with fire...you're gonna get burned!

There's plenty of places he can go for peace and quiet in Thailand and if the island no longer appeals to him...move on!

Trying to change life on the island to suit himself is arrogance in the extreme,let's hope he has the good sense to NOT go back or continue his crusade...it doesn't take a genius to work out the next time he'll be leaving in a wooden box! :D

If he has any friends at all they should be doing everything and anything they can to explain this to him in no uncertain terms.

I don't know him or KPG but know it's a party island,I've lived in Ibiza,Spain for many years and the disco mafia there are infamous,anybody taking them on would be a fool,obviously the same goes for KPG.

I hope he makes a speedy recovery and am a complete neutral in this but I sincerely hope he is not stupid enough to return once he is better.

Don't know the guy or his newspaper but it sounds like he's a bit of an idiot,if he's so wasted he obviously turned up 15 years ago for the full-moon parties himself,now he decides he's had enough of them and starts slandering local people(who may or may not be innocent) on his own website! :o

I'm sorry to hear he got shot but if you play with fire...you're gonna get burned!

There's plenty of places he can go for peace and quiet in Thailand and if the island no longer appeals to him...move on!

Trying to change life on the island to suit himself is arrogance in the extreme,let's hope he has the good sense to NOT go back or continue his crusade...it doesn't take a genius to work out the next time he'll be leaving in a wooden box! :D

If he has any friends at all they should be doing everything and anything they can to explain this to him in no uncertain terms.

I don't know him or KPG but know it's a party island,I've lived in Ibiza,Spain for many years and the disco mafia there are infamous,anybody taking them on would be a fool,obviously the same goes for KPG.

I hope he makes a speedy recovery and am a complete neutral in this but I sincerely hope he is not stupid enough to return once he is better.

"let the bad people rule the earth"

Well it is obvious that you don't know what you're talking about,you didn't even read the OP and all the replies.

he doesn't want the parties to be banned but moved to a more remote location so the people in ban tai can sleep @ night.

Don't know the guy or his newspaper but it sounds like he's a bit of an idiot,if he's so wasted he obviously turned up 15 years ago for the full-moon parties himself,now he decides he's had enough of them and starts slandering local people(who may or may not be innocent) on his own website! :D

You don't know anything but you know he's an idiot. :o

Of course he knew what danger he puts himself into, but decided his cause is worth the risk. Calling people who stand up for a cause idiots seems a tad one-dimensional to me. (Examples spring to mind but should not be mentioned in every discussion about this topic, imo.)

Offensive posts & replies containing the quotes, have been removed.

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) To respect fellow members.

3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane .

4) Not to flame fellow members.

Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants.

This thread is disturbing. An individual used peaceful means to promote his position and suffered a serious physical assault. Yet, there is a large contingent of people that are delighted by that. For the most part, none of the people condemning the victim, with the exception of the agrieved bar owner without customers, live in the area affected or know the impacted locals. Do the locals share this delight? According to statements given in the thread, they are upset by the event. Does this mean that the locals should also be assaulted and beaten?

It's a cowardly cop out to use "TiT" whenever the issue of corruption arises. Do people honestly thing the regular Thai person enjoys dealing with corruption or that its in the genes? Is the situation any diffferent than the corrupt political system that ran New York City for over a century or when Al Capone and his ilk had control of major North American cities for decades? Sooner or later the corrupt organizations fall apart, but it takes people like this fellow, even if he appears slightly baked, to get it started.

I hardlly think he's as horrible as some are making him out to be if all he wants to do is help improve his local community quality of life. So he's a flake. Big deal. Better that than than some of the sexual deviants and scary foreigners that walk around Patong on any given day.

This thread is disturbing. An individual used peaceful means to promote his position and suffered a serious physical assault. Yet, there is a large contingent of people that are delighted by that. For the most part, none of the people condemning the victim, with the exception of the agrieved bar owner without customers, live in the area affected or know the impacted locals. Do the locals share this delight? According to statements given in the thread, they are upset by the event. Does this mean that the locals should also be assaulted and beaten?

It's a cowardly cop out to use "TiT" whenever the issue of corruption arises. Do people honestly thing the regular Thai person enjoys dealing with corruption or that its in the genes? Is the situation any diffferent than the corrupt political system that ran New York City for over a century or when Al Capone and his ilk had control of major North American cities for decades? Sooner or later the corrupt organizations fall apart, but it takes people like this fellow, even if he appears slightly baked, to get it started.

I hardlly think he's as horrible as some are making him out to be if all he wants to do is help improve his local community quality of life. So he's a flake. Big deal. Better that than than some of the sexual deviants and scary foreigners that walk around Patong on any given day.

I do know the locals in question, do know the man in question and have known him for many years. He is not horrible, he is actually a pretty nice guy and well liked by his neighbors. He was involved in a local movement to have the parties moved away from residential neighborhoods, not to have them shut down but to have them show a little concern for the people in the area. I, also, cannot see how this is a bad thing.

As for the locals, including his neighbors, they are horrified, angry and very upset that this could happen to someone who has lived here a very long time and that they all know and care about. I am afraid I haven't heard anything more on his condition but I am sure that if he had worsened I would have heard about it. I do not know if he is on the island, I doubt it since I haven't seen him around.

Frankly, it takes alot of courage to try and help the locals buck the status quo. The locals have tried legal means to deal with this issue for quite some time. I sincerely hope that the Surat Thani government takes a good hard look at the administration of this island.

I sincerely hope that the Surat Thani government takes a good hard look at the administration of this island.

highly doubt it

Well, yes, to be honest, I agree. But I can still hope that they do. It would make for a nice change.

A very sad story.

Just wondering, if the parties were moved to another part of the island would the profits inevitably be shared by the people local to the new venue or would it be possible for the organisers to manage the move without losing out financially???

I guess someone is bound to lose out somewhere along the line?

The landlord for example.

Is this purely a money thing or are the people involved angry that a foreigner was so involved with something they considered to be a local issue?

I guess the ability to create revenue on an island which is experiencing an economic downturn due to a lack of tourism could be seen as more important than some people getting a good nights sleep by some people?

I'm in no way condoning this kind of violent reaction which i think is deplorable, just trying to understand why this would happen.

Hope the victim gets well soon.

SBK - To clarify the situation. Mr Beckman is no longer on Koh Phangan. After being shot ONCE in the hip (3 shots fired and 2 missed) Mr Beckman was treated in Bangkok Samui hospital on Koh Samui. The wound did not put him in any danger and is healing fine. Mr Beckman remained in hospital for just a few days then stayed on the island of Samui to organise his personal business prior to his planned return to Germany. At this time, it is unlikely Mr Beckman will return to live on Koh Phangan. The important point here is that Mr Beckman is fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't help but think the killings, attempted killings, suicides and general violence,

is MUCH more the CAUSE of loss of business, and not a few reporting websites.

I agree...way too many guns on this island.

• 2 months later...

Beckis' web-site is up and running again in case anyone want to have a read.

Some of the threats directed at him are just disgusting. These chumps are not too bright - making death threats on-line where their IP can be traced. A few trolls have probably jumped on the band-wagon pretending to be involved in the parties / attack when they probably weren't.

I personally hope karma pays them a visit in the near future.

Weather you agree with his cause or not, the man's got balls.

• 4 months later...

Had a look at the website and I have the temptation to say:

Good! good bye!

But I'm P.C. so I just say what a pity a so good reporter of the KPG life must go away!

P.S.: I cannot agree with what that website write but for NO reason I can accept any kind of violence.

Had a look at the website and I have the temptation to say:

Good! good bye!

But I'm P.C. so I just say what a pity a so good reporter of the KPG life must go away!

P.S.: I cannot agree with what that website write but for NO reason I can accept any kind of violence.

Agreed... :)