Thai Bangkaew Dog

My old boxer sounds much like your GSD, but he sadly died peacefully six years ago. He never looked for a fight, but he was very protective of all my other dogs and was more than capable of seeing off any other dogs that were stupid enough to threaten them; I never trained him to, but fortunately whenever he "put the bite" on another dog he simply held and applied pressure (as guard/police dogs have to be trained to do) rather tore. I miss him more than any friend I have had.

My Old English Sheepdog used to do the same - 30 years ago I took her with me on the streets in Northern Ireland occasionally, as the locals had trained their dogs to bite the troops (we got our own back in various ways!). She was unusually large for a bitch and her thick coat protected her from any bites and she just used to punch them away!

Its not my style to tell other people how to live their lives but I do enjoy a good debate :) So how is that I am irresponsible for simply walking my dog, but you think it is fine for you to take your Old English Sheepdog out somewhere where you know it will be attacked by local dogs and maybe even shot at or have bottles shattered at her feet? Why is it ok for your boxer to "put the bite" on another dog when protecting his pack but it is wrong of my dog to simply protect himself? :D

In the boxer's case (the most applicable) it was "OK" because I was walking the dogs where there had never been any other dogs for the previous 5 years - I don't think that applies to your regular chosen route!

In the case of the OES, I have never heard of any patrol dogs being shot at in NI, and unfortunately that is one of the risks that you take (on their behalf, rightly or wrongly) when using dogs in the military. Whether or not we have the right to take that risk is a whole different debate.

.... She had distemper when I bought her as a pup, and because of that remained relatively small. ....

oops, I think the boxers are hijacking the thread. ;)

Not only boxers!

I have had two dogs with distemper, both of whom survived. My little field spaniel died 6 years ago of kidney failure, aged only 5. He was the happiest dog I have ever known, albeit it probably the most scatter-brained - I think the distemper somehow stopped his brain developing beyond puppy stage as he simply never grew up and everything was a non-stop game from when he woke up to when he went to sleep. Ignorance, in his case, really was bliss!

My Basset dog, bought from a pet shop, was given to me to look after when he was a very young puppy diagnosed with incurable and fatal distemper by a number of vets, who gave him a couple of weeks to live. He spent the next 3 months sleeping in my bed, being hand fed several times a day, with his "walks" being carried while the rest of us walked on the beach. When he was given a clean bill of health by the vets I gave him back to his original owner, but fortunately for both of us they decided that there was "too much shit" (Bassets are big dogs, with big appetites - they just have short legs!) so I was given him back. That was nearly 10 years ago and he is now the "boss dog". I love Bassets too!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I'm looking for a reliable, reputable Baankaew breeder, preferably in or around Bangkok. My parents will be in Thailand in December and I'm hoping I can source a couple of puppies to bring back to me (in the US). I used to have a BK, but she died a few years ago. When I was last in Thailand I bought two BK puppies from some guy who seemed pretty bonafide, but when it came down to it he didn't have the right puppies, so he gave us other puppies--he already had half our money, and he wouldn't give it back, so we thought we might as well go for broke. Turns out they weren't properly vaccinated either. Within two weeks of getting them home they were both dead, one of parvovirus, and the other of distemper :( I haven't got another dog since, because I can't bear to have one that's not a BK!

If you have had a good experience with a BK breeder, please let me know who they were and how I can get in touch with them.

Thanks in advance!

Hi All

I'm looking for a reliable, reputable Baankaew breeder, preferably in or around Bangkok. My parents will be in Thailand in December and I'm hoping I can source a couple of puppies to bring back to me (in the US). I used to have a BK, but she died a few years ago. When I was last in Thailand I bought two BK puppies from some guy who seemed pretty bonafide, but when it came down to it he didn't have the right puppies, so he gave us other puppies--he already had half our money, and he wouldn't give it back, so we thought we might as well go for broke. Turns out they weren't properly vaccinated either. Within two weeks of getting them home they were both dead, one of parvovirus, and the other of distemper :( I haven't got another dog since, because I can't bear to have one that's not a BK!

If you have had a good experience with a BK breeder, please let me know who they were and how I can get in touch with them.

Thanks in advance!

What is it you love about them? I think the OP knows about good breeders and other people have talked about a good breeder on this or another thread. There was also a woman who wanted to breed them in the states but I do not know if she did. She started a thread about it here.

This site may help;

http://www.thaibangkaewshowcase.com/

If you are going to breed in the us you might as well get some/one from this line;

http://www.mcot.net/...page/88100.html

In this same province resides the most beautiful male Thai Bang Kaew in the country called 'Jao Sun'. The dog belongs to Pichai Kamsuwan, owner of Palm Place Kennel.

Jao Sun is famous nationwide among Thai Bang Kaew lovers for the countless trophies received at dog shows. Pichai said it was because the canine has all the features suitable for a male Thai Bang Kaew according to international standards.

post-136137-0-15608200-1314791619_thumb.

Edited by bangkaew

Hi All

Thanks in advance!

What is it you love about them? I think the OP knows about good breeders and other people have talked about a good breeder on this or another thread. There was also a woman who wanted to breed them in the states but I do not know if she did. She started a thread about it here.

This site may help;

http://www.thaibangkaewshowcase.com/

If you are going to breed in the us you might as well get some/one from this line;

http://www.mcot.net/...page/88100.html

In this same province resides the most beautiful male Thai Bang Kaew in the country called 'Jao Sun'. The dog belongs to Pichai Kamsuwan, owner of Palm Place Kennel.

Jao Sun is famous nationwide among Thai Bang Kaew lovers for the countless trophies received at dog shows. Pichai said it was because the canine has all the features suitable for a male Thai Bang Kaew according to international standards.

Thanks for those sites! They are great. I've looked and looked online but never came across them myself. I'm not sure I can afford any pups with too much of Jao Sun in them, but a little would be nice. Mostly I just want decent bloodlines and no congenital problems (hips, patella, etc) I'm not planning on showing them, and they aren't recognised by the AKC.

I love Bangkaew for so many reasons. They are loyal to a fault: affectionate to their families, but not needy or annoyingly friendly. They are aloof with strangers--which I like, because I want my dog to be my dog. They are intelligent and independent--sometimes stubborn, but that just adds to their personality, and once you have earned their trust and built a relationship, you are bonded for life. They are not the 'yes-men' of the dog world by any means; that's up to the golden retrievers and labs :)

I don't think BK's are the dog for everyone. They are more complicated than most breeds, and take more training, more patience, and more psychology. They can be fiercely territorial if you let them, and their aggression can be a problem if they aren't well trained. That said, I know they are the dog for me, and if I do decide to breed them, people over here can find out how great they are as well!

Thanks again for your suggestions!

• 3 months later...

Hello All,

My wife and I are looking for a Bangkaew breeder. Prefer not to purchase one of these dogs from some vendor in JJ Market but someone where we can see the parents and siblings. We live in Suphanburi and can travel most anyplace here in Thailand in order to find a quality Bangkaew. Cheers in advance for any tips! :)

BM

They originate in the Phitsanulok area, where you can find Bangkaew 'farms' along most roads radiating from the city. However, this breed has become popular far too fast, which has meant a lot of inbreeding, and highly-strung dogs (mine, which was very highly-strung, came from Wang Thong just outside Pi-lok). He was a beautiful dog, though!

Hello All,

My wife and I are looking for a Bangkaew breeder. Prefer not to purchase one of these dogs from some vendor in JJ Market but someone where we can see the parents and siblings. We live in Suphanburi and can travel most anyplace here in Thailand in order to find a quality Bangkaew. Cheers in advance for any tips! :)

BM

this kennel say they have bred for temperament and they have good looking dogs;

Chumsangsongkram Kennel Phitsanulok , Thailand. www.chumsang.net

Also this kennel have arguably the best looking dogs and are from the famous BK

http://www.bangkaewthailand.com/

Edited by bangkaew

• 4 months later...

Hello All,

My wife and I are looking for a Bangkaew breeder. Prefer not to purchase one of these dogs from some vendor in JJ Market but someone where we can see the parents and siblings. We live in Suphanburi and can travel most anyplace here in Thailand in order to find a quality Bangkaew. Cheers in advance for any tips! smile.gif

BM

this kennel say they have bred for temperament and they have good looking dogs;

Chumsangsongkram Kennel Phitsanulok , Thailand. www.chumsang.net

Also this kennel have arguably the best looking dogs and are from the famous BK

http://www.bangkaewthailand.com/

Thanks very much to all who replied!

We ended up getting a male Bangkaew from a breeder in Chaing Rai. Excellent temperment - no signs of stress with this dog. He's ~16 weeks old now and his balls have just begun to drop so figure he's healthy. He is all white with just a bit of brown shading around the ears. I wonder how prevalent with Bangkaews that color is? Good watchdog too but loves to dig!

Thanks very much to all who replied!

We ended up getting a male Bangkaew from a breeder in Chaing Rai. Excellent temperment - no signs of stress with this dog. He's ~16 weeks old now and his balls have just begun to drop so figure he's healthy. He is all white with just a bit of brown shading around the ears. I wonder how prevalent with Bangkaews that color is? Good watchdog too but loves to dig!

white with various markings seem to be the most prevalent although I have seen a few all brown ones and a beautiful all black one. The original Bangkaews were black but it seems to be that breeding for tameness has made them white - as what happened with the taming of Siberian foxes.

Make sure to post some photos!

• Like 1

its usually not the breeding for tameness that makes a dog change colours but the colour preference of the breeders: thais prefer white dogs. they dont like black dogs. its is possible that a calmer more domesticated type human oriented nature comes with white genes but i doubt it... most bankews are the same personality all over : protective, primitive in action, not to human pleasing -oriented...

tameness and domestication are two different things. one is a genetic prediliction the other (tameness) comes from exposure and handling, even among non domestic animals. (im pedantic about the differences but it is important ot understand when dealing with dog breeds like bangkews and dingos and canaan dogs etc... that are considered primitive domestic breeds i.e. prototype dogs, as regards to colouration, actions, breeding habits, body type and physiology and morphology...

bina

• Like 1

its usually not the breeding for tameness that makes a dog change colours but the colour preference of the breeders: thais prefer white dogs. they dont like black dogs. its is possible that a calmer more domesticated type human oriented nature comes with white genes but i doubt it... most bankews are the same personality all over : protective, primitive in action, not to human pleasing -oriented...

tameness and domestication are two different things. one is a genetic prediliction the other (tameness) comes from exposure and handling, even among non domestic animals. (im pedantic about the differences but it is important ot understand when dealing with dog breeds like bangkews and dingos and canaan dogs etc... that are considered primitive domestic breeds i.e. prototype dogs, as regards to colouration, actions, breeding habits, body type and physiology and morphology...

bina

if you look at the Siberian fox experiment in Siberia where they bred for tameness only, the foxes went from black to having more and more white colouring. They think that adrenalin and colour are the same gene in foxes. The foxes that did not produce so much adrenalin and were therefore more tame, had more and more white colouring. Because all the original Bangkaew puppies were black and because the Bangkaews are very similar to foxes, it could be because they bred from the tamer ones.

From Wiki; http://en.wikipedia....ated_silver_fox

The experiment was initiated by scientists who were interested in the topic of domestication and the process by which wolves became tame domesticated dogs. They saw some retention of juvenile traits by adult dogs, both morphological ones, such as skulls that were unusually broad for their length, and behavioral ones, such as whining, barking, and submission.

Belyaev believed that the key factor selected for in the domestication of dogs was not size or reproduction, but behavior; specifically, amenability to domestication, or tameability. He selected for low flight distance, that is, the distance one can approach the animal before it runs away. Selecting this behavior mimics the natural selection that must have occurred in the ancestral past of dogs. More than any other quality, Belyaev believed, tameability must have determined how well an animal would adapt to life among humans. Since behavior is rooted in biology, selecting for tameness and against aggression means selecting for physiological changes in the systems that govern the body's hormones and neurochemicals. Belyaev decided to test his theory by domesticating foxes; in particular, the silver fox, a dark color form of the red fox. He placed a population of them in the same process of domestication, and he decided to submit this population to strong selection pressure for inherent tameness.[3]

The result is that Russian scientists now have a number of domesticated foxes that are fundamentally different in temperament and behavior from their wild forebears. Some important changes in physiology and morphology are now visible, such as mottled or spotted colored fur. Many scientists believe that these changes related to selection for tameness are caused by lower adrenaline production in the new breed, causing physiological changes in very few generations and thus yielding genetic combinations not present in the original species. This indicates that selection for tameness (i.e. low flight distance) produces changes that are also influential on the emergence of other "dog-like" traits, such as raised tail and coming into heat every six months rather than annually.

go to 6:30 in this clip;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbcwDXhugjw

Edited by bangkaew

• 4 months later...

A quick note regarding my 11 month old totally white male Bangkaew whom we got at 4 months of age. Noticed he does not dive into his food bowl like some other breeds of dogs I've had. Instead, he will acknowledge the food and literally take his time in eating. Not scarfing the food up and sometimes not finishing the entire meal in one go. BTW, it's always good stuff we feed him - chicken/rice & very occasionally dry food so this behavior is not due to the quality of the food given. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this particular kind of behavior with Bangkaew?

BTW, best dog I've ever had...smile.png

• 6 years later...
On 4/1/2009 at 3:18 PM, billd766 said:

I also would like more information on the Bangkaew dogs.

I am returning to Thailand in a couple of months and was looking at getting a couple of Thai Ridgebacks but my wife is talking about the Bangkaew instead.

i have three thai ridgebacks and love them.  want more information, message me