Thai Bangkaew Dog

My wife bought home a little surprise the other day. The mother was a Poodle, father unknown, After a bit of research on the net I reckon the father was a Bangkaew.

pukluuk032.jpg

After reading this thread, I'm having doubts about keeping her. My previous experience with dogs was with an Irish Setter, that was as daft as a brush. Looks as though this one is going to be more of a challenge. Does the fact that she's not pure Bangkaew mean she won't have all their negative characteristics?

Like any crossbreed, she may throw up any sort of unexpected characteristics... but probably won't. Brought up as a family pet, there's no reason why she should become fierce. As a crossbreed female, it's probably a good idea to spay her some time after her first heat; she should become even more docile, and you'll be spared the problem of a litter of puppies to find homes for (but maybe you'd enjoy that).

Like any crossbreed, she may throw up any sort of unexpected characteristics... but probably won't. Brought up as a family pet, there's no reason why she should become fierce. As a crossbreed female, it's probably a good idea to spay her some time after her first heat; she should become even more docile, and you'll be spared the problem of a litter of puppies to find homes for (but maybe you'd enjoy that).

Thanks Issanbirder. Puppies are definitely not on the agenda. Incidentally it now appears the Mother was not a pure Poodle, wife's not too hot on dog breeds, and had some Labrador in her.

Thanks Issanbirder. Puppies are definitely not on the agenda. Incidentally it now appears the Mother was not a pure Poodle, wife's not too hot on dog breeds, and had some Labrador in her.

Poodle x Labrador x Bangkaew? The mind boggles... just say 'mutt".

• 2 months later...

I got 2 Bangkaew's. The mother and her son, originally i would only take the son as he was a puppy. The mother was owned by the mother of my gf. However i felt the mother was not treated well and took her in too. The male dog is not a real Bangkaew because he is not aggressive at all. People can enter the house and he will greet them (he will bark at them from a behind a locked fence). The female is different she will guard the house and make sure nobody steals a thing. She is also hard to pet by strangers. The male.. strangers can pet him.

Both are headstrong when it comes to calling them back home. The male dog likes being touched and rubbed and sit on my lap. The female dog does not like to sit on my lap but does like to be touched and rubbed. I must say i like them both but i hate it that they loose so much hair.

The female has become a lot less aggressive since she moved in here. She was a real fierce dog but has become a lot more mellow here.

Only problem is the male and female fight for dominance all the time. No real bites but a lot of barking and threatening. So far the female his mother has the upper hand even though the male is 3 years old and a lot bigger.

The male has never ever bitten an other dog even when his mother was fighting with an other (female) dog he would not help only bark a bit. He does seem to be the boss of all other dogs around and they all fear him but still want to play with him.

Glad you checked the thread out, Robblok. Don't take much notice of the posts about puppies... the dog's real characteristics don't really develop until he/she is adult. One of the problems is the amount of inbreeding which has taken place; the breed has become popular in quite a short time, and many of the dogs are very highly-strung. Mine was... he went spare in an earthquake, and missing in a thunderstorm.

I hope you enjoy your dogs... they have a lot to recommend them, but they're not for everybody!

Glad you checked the thread out, Robblok. Don't take much notice of the posts about puppies... the dog's real characteristics don't really develop until he/she is adult. One of the problems is the amount of inbreeding which has taken place; the breed has become popular in quite a short time, and many of the dogs are very highly-strung. Mine was... he went spare in an earthquake, and missing in a thunderstorm.

I hope you enjoy your dogs... they have a lot to recommend them, but they're not for everybody!

Im pretty sure my dog is an adult now have had him for around 3 years. The other one is a bit older its his mother think around 8 or 9.

The mother and father both had a pedigree and were imported from pisanoluk (however you write that).

• 4 months later...

We got our Bangkaew from the Phuket Soi Dog home so we are only going on looks and character that he is actually a Bangkaew and the fact that every Thai says he is. He is 2 years now and we can and do take him everywhere with us and he just ignores everyone apart from Farangs who he thinks he knows. Other dogs know he is tough so leave him be although when he was young he had to fight off many beach and soi dogs because I like to drive through the dirt tracks and beach roads with him. When he was about one he was a nightmare and one time bit someone, a maid, who was nervous of him. He got the only physical punishment of his life for that and he has never been aggressive to anyone in the house since. He is very strong willed and intelligent. At 4 months he could find his own way home from the beach to a 4th floor apartment! (that is why I run him around Phuket in my car) . A friend who did not know him one time tried to put a lead on him and he bit him. This was a minute after they had a big friendly greet! That is the thing, DNA tests have shown the Bangkaew to be part Jackal according to Wikipedia so they are just very wary and untrusting. Incidentally I have found that the white or cream coloured dogs are the most aggressive that we meet on our runs and brown dogs the least. The shorter the hair the less aggressive too.

My visiting family think he is wonderful and you can sleep easy with him outside your door but you have to exercise them properly and be the pack leader. If you can do that then definitely get one. Besides, the Thais are terrified of them so a good deterrent!

Oh, and if you exercise them they will not wonder and will take great pride in staying and guarding as my one will not go out even when the doors are open and at the beach chooses to stay and keep an eye on me!

post-136137-0-76516000-1310644120_thumb.

post-136137-0-07455300-1310644163_thumb.

post-136137-0-80342100-1310644197_thumb.

post-136137-0-60523700-1310644247_thumb.

Compared with the one I had, the head is too narrow, Bangkaew, but he obviously has a lot of BK blood in him. Purebreds should have the double coat.

I am sure mine are purebreds, but they dont have a wide head either. They have a pedegree and are from the pitsanulok aread (at least the female) the male is her son and the father was also from Pitsanulok and had a pedegree too.

some pics.

Picture602.jpg

IMG_4833.jpg

Edited by robblok

My dog is definitely king of the neighborhood. But he never really fights just impresses them by running at them fearlessly. However if they don;t run away he won't do a thing the coward. His mother on the other hand does not chase after other dogs but goes straight for the kill and will attack and bite if needed. But thank god she is not aggressive and will only do this if challenged.

She is still queen of the house, the male younger.. stronger and bigger always backs down. Lots of growling all the time (real annoying) but never real bites a lot of baring fangs and stuff. But never a real bite between the two of them.

Compared with the one I had, the head is too narrow, Bangkaew, but he obviously has a lot of BK blood in him. Purebreds should have the double coat.

Yes luckily he does not have a double coat as as it is there is still an awful lot of hair every day cast. He is only just 2 now but his head is getting a bit broader but as he was neutred at 5 months he looks more like a bitch. The below photographs were taken over the last year.

post-136137-0-50646400-1310700897_thumb.

post-136137-0-90114100-1310700934_thumb.

post-136137-0-08236000-1310700971_thumb.

The Bangkaew is fearless and aggressive. I do admire their courage but have to question their intelligence. My dog is half rottweiler and half golden retriever. He weighs more than 45 kilos.

Fortunately the golden retriever part has removed the killer instinct but he is still built like a bull and very strong. He doesn't take kindly to being attacked.

The local Bangkaew fearlessly attacked him. My dog was on a chain. My dog being much bigger was able to knock the Bangkaew off his feet and on his back. My dog was at the end of his chain and by then the Bangkaew realized that he was way outclassed and took the opportunity to stay out of my dog's reach. After more snarling and growling, the Bangkaew went on his way.

The Bangkaew is fearless and aggressive. I do admire their courage but have to question their intelligence. My dog is half rottweiler and half golden retriever. He weighs more than 45 kilos.

Fortunately the golden retriever part has removed the killer instinct but he is still built like a bull and very strong. He doesn't take kindly to being attacked.

The local Bangkaew fearlessly attacked him. My dog was on a chain. My dog being much bigger was able to knock the Bangkaew off his feet and on his back. My dog was at the end of his chain and by then the Bangkaew realized that he was way outclassed and took the opportunity to stay out of my dog's reach. After more snarling and growling, the Bangkaew went on his way.

Hahahahaha. i never said they were sensible. Seen my dog do some stupid things too. But usually the running impresses the other dogs. Was there actual biting ? I have seen my male bang kaew fight often but never bite.

My dog is definitely king of the neighborhood. But he never really fights just impresses them by running at them fearlessly. However if they don;t run away he won't do a thing the coward. His mother on the other hand does not chase after other dogs but goes straight for the kill and will attack and bite if needed. But thank god she is not aggressive and will only do this if challenged.

She is still queen of the house, the male younger.. stronger and bigger always backs down. Lots of growling all the time (real annoying) but never real bites a lot of baring fangs and stuff. But never a real bite between the two of them.

My dog occasionally charges dogs in order to protect the 9 months soi dog we also have but other than that he would actually rather just ignore other dogs. Like you say, my BK is more fear aggressive and therefore now that he is big enough to be given space, he is just aloof. The Soi dog is the complete opposite, he wants to play with every dog and because he is a submissive dog he is accepted right away. Unfortunately the BK is too uptight to play with dogs he does not know.

the photograph below was when the soi dog was 5 months.

post-136137-0-07135200-1310720800_thumb.

I have seen my BK fight many beach dogs etc and in my opinion it is not about size but about 'gameness' as they say or how dominant they were born. I have seen a small dog snap his nose and my dog gave it great respect after that. I have seen pitbulls or TRDs in a garden charge my BK and stop and then back away with their tail down just because they were naturally more submissive. One time we were looking after a friends British Bulldog and the BK did not like it one bit but being a bully breed it was not intimidated by the BK's growling and walked about like he owned the place. That is until he walked in to the BK and he got about 5 bites in as many seconds. The Bulldog showed the appropriate respect from then on. Admittedly I did feel pretty bad about it because it was a great dog and not aggressive at all. The BK when only 2 months would play or get bullied by a year old black very hairy dog about the size of a BK. When the black dog got too rough, the 2 months BK would go beserk and chase it away. It was like a switch went off and the sheer ferociousness of the puppy made him top dog and the other dog was at least 4x bigger.

Judging by the pictures, Robblok's dogs do have a wide head, compared with Bangkaew's. But what does it matter so long as they're good pets?

Pedigree dogs from Pitsanulok should have a number tattooed on the ear (mine did).

Yes, they will go for anything.

My dog occasionally charges dogs in order to protect the 9 months soi dog we also have but other than that he would actually rather just ignore other dogs. Like you say, my BK is more fear aggressive and therefore now that he is big enough to be given space, he is just aloof. The Soi dog is the complete opposite, he wants to play with every dog and because he is a submissive dog he is accepted right away. Unfortunately the BK is too uptight to play with dogs he does not know.

the photograph below was when the soi dog was 5 months.

He will chase any dog he does not know and also ones he knows. But it never gets as far as biting. He just loves chasing. If they run he wont do a thing. The female (mother) is totally not interested in other dogs. But like i said does bite and fight. I got a bite in my arm from an other dog when i broke up a fight between the two of them. The male would not even help his mother just barking a bit that was it.

The female will almost never fight and bite but this was a territorial fight for some reason the other dog did not accept her anymore as boss and they fought to settle who is boss. Neither won and i hate it when they fight. Both of them bit and my dog had a bite in her snouth.

Yes, the one thing I do not like about my BK mix is that he is just too quick to bite. He will even growl and pretend to bite if you pull him off the sofa and when he is playing with the puppy occasionally he will go too far and give him a couple of bites. Saying that it is the puppy who will growl at him when they are eating and he stays away so I think he bites out of fear. The puppy actually taught him how to meet other dogs so there is never a fight on their walk about now. Before the puppy he would not meet and greet other dogs on their territory and would just keep trotting so whenever a dog went to sniff his behind they would get a bite. With a few, usually white, dogs there would be a 5 second exchange of bites. He was basically afraid of the dogs.

Hahahahaha. i never said they were sensible. Seen my dog do some stupid things too. But usually the running impresses the other dogs. Was there actual biting ? I have seen my male bang kaew fight often but never bite.

The Bangkaew's very first move was to go for the throat. My dog's neck is very thick so all the Bangkaew got was a mouth full of fur and skin but it hung on and my dog had to shake him off. At that point, I wished that my dog was off his chain. It was kind of sad that the Bangkaew was able to tease him and he couldn't do anything about it.

My dog did remember the Bangkaew. The next meeting made me laugh. The Bangkaew was much faster but my dog did get close enough to grab the dog's tail. He actually flipped the Bangkaew end over end and landed right on top of his enemy. At that time I was a little worried that my dog might kill him but true to form, my dog stood over the Bangkaew and just growled. The Bangkaew still does his best to bite at and harass my dog but is fast enough to stay out of the way.

Today we were out a run and we came across a Farrang with 3 pretty impressive looking, fairly big dogs that if I had to guess were half yellow lab, half something else. They had the build and colour of a lab but with static hair. My dogs had already ran about a mile and they had just come out of their garden. They charged at my BK mix and 9 months puppy and what happened next is a classic difference between my 2 dogs. The puppy froze which completely defused the situation but the BK mix just ignored them and kept on trotting. The 3 dogs took it in turns to challenge him and each got several bites although they did manage to knock him over, although it might have been he tripped due to trying to run and bite the dog at his rear at the same time!

I am just happy my dogs don't seem to really fight. Barking running after others.. yes. But real fights nope.

Only the female has had 2 real fights but that was with an other female that lived close by. Otherwise she never fights. The male just runs barks and chases but would never bite. I think its just his way of having fun or trying to make contact.

I think encountering dogs on a walk is just something inevitable outside of the West. And it is a chicken and egg thing. The Farrang's dogs yesterday were on their way to the beach so obviously have encountered many aggressive beach dogs so they probably thought every strange dog is a threat and hence the cycle continues. There are actually only a few bits of beach you can go without about 40 dogs appearing and a lot of them are feral. At least the dogs on the back roads have homes and are fed and are just territorial rather than looking for blood. I was determined to be able to go everywhere with my dog because most Farrangs I know basically do not take their dogs for fear of the local dogs. By now my BK mix knows all the dogs on all our different routes. They ignore him because he is bigger now than them or they simply have a mutual respect. The 9 month puppy has all the dogs crowding him now but because he lived in a shelter with hundreds of balanced dogs until he was 5 months, he is excellent with other dogs. Cesar Millan would even be impressed. I have seen him snap a couple of times because one dog was being too forward but it was not done in aggression, purely to say that they were over stepping the mark. The dogs have never bitten him and that shows for me that the local dogs are actually balanced on the whole. My BK would have panicked in the same situations and would have snapped, excuse the pun, but given the chance he will avoid conflict. Incidentally, 2 different groups of nasty dogs that looked for blood and cut the puppies head one time and would attack the BK have both been killed. One group, who cut the puppies head, were actually abandoned by an Italian restauranter who moved restaurants. The BK used to play with them and then when they were abandoned they went nasty. Poor things were starving and then were clubbed to death I am told. The other group were guarding a building site and one of them was very game and would always fight the BK - the 3 of them did not attack the puppy though. When we asked the security guards if they could stop them, they said the Farrang who owned the building site owned the dogs. Again good dogs who were neglected went bad. They apparently were poisoned. The security guards are now raising 4 BK mix puppies of about a month. I am making sure they get to know my dogs so that there will not be any trouble next year. They are already pretty aggressive because they are entirely unsocialised! Apparently my BK mix was rescued from a beach restaurant when the restaurant owner said that if the mother and litter were not rescued he would kill them. You can not blame him really as if my dog was feral he would be an absolute nightmare!

Judging by the pictures, Robblok's dogs do have a wide head, compared with Bangkaew's. But what does it matter so long as they're good pets?

Pedigree dogs from Pitsanulok should have a number tattooed on the ear (mine did).

Yes, they will go for anything.

Yes the mother has a tattoo in the ear the father too. But we did not go through the trouble to get that done with the son that came of the 2. He is a great pet though a he has its bad sides too. Seems that he does not like to fetch a ball for instance.

Can anyone adopt a BK for me ???

My girlfriend is at her Uncles funeral at the moment in Suart Thani..

Apparently ha had a BK of about 3 years old, not sure whether male or female yet so will update when I find out.

As you can imagine, so many people at a funeral and this dog has just lost it's owner, needless to say it has taken command of the kitchen area and no one can go toilet :)

The wife wants the dog put down as she obviously can't handle it and all the relatives are scared because it is on the defensive at the moment, so they won't take it.

I'm going over there tomorrow to pay my respects and also see how the dog is doing. Not sure that it will react any different to me but having had dogs all my life, I hope to be able to at least calm it down enough to be able to take it to another property for now.

I'm sure once away from all the people and given a bit of space and some care it will be fine in due course.

Unfortunately I work away on a 2 month rotation so will not really be able to give the dog the time needed to help it re adjust.

Anyone ??????????????????????????

Don't want the dog to die because no one will take it...

It is in Ban Nai, Surat Thani but I would be willing to drive it to someone who can look after it, well maybe not to Chiang Mai whistling.gif

Thanks peoples