Thai Bangkaew Dog

That guy is not answering his phone. Is there anyone near who wants a guard dog for a commercial lot or something? Have you a photograph? That might help.

I will be going over to Surat tomorrow..

Then I will know more about the situation and will take some photos.

Thanks

Well after meeting the dog, I have decided to keep him as he likes my fiance too, so she will be able to look after him when I'm not here.

2 days with him convinced me that I can't give him away, he is just to special... Never met a dog that became so friendly and protective so quick !!!

He did bite one women (an aunty but was warning her for a while 1st )...

As for them not swimming, he has never been to a river or the beach but 1st time down the beach and he wanted to swim to Samui :)

Photo attached.... Think he is genuine BK but no tattoo in his ear ??

Happy days...

post-85853-0-37419300-1312467468_thumb.j

Well after meeting the dog, I have decided to keep him as he likes my fiance too, so she will be able to look after him when I'm not here.

2 days with him convinced me that I can't give him away, he is just to special... Never met a dog that became so friendly and protective so quick !!!

As for them not swimming, he has never been to a river or the beach but 1st time down the beach and he wanted to swim to Samui :)

Happy days...

He looks genuine enough, though the small black spots are a bit unorthodox (maybe there's a bit of Dalmatian in him somewhere). The tattooed ear simply means that the dog has been registered (where?); many dogs are not registered.

Most of them love water.

Have fun!

What a wonderful news! It seems the dog knew and quickly gave you his trust. :) Very glad it worked out so well.

He looks a bit like a Ban Keaw I knew for about six years. Unfortunately the dog succumbed to his yearly booster at the age of 6 years; liver failure. :( He was a wonderful dog, loved water and very much loved by his owner, and vice versa.

Wishing you and your fiance lots of fun and love with him. :)

Happy days...

that is great news carlos! You can not live in thailand and not have a banggeeeew! He certainly looks to be a bangkaew mix ....

Hi Nienke,

I followed your advice to the letter and had him eating out my hand within an hour..

Walking him within 1 day and into the pickup on day 2..

By day 3 he was attached :) Amazing dog...

Thanks for your help, it was priceless :)

What a wonderful news! It seems the dog knew and quickly gave you his trust. :) Very glad it worked out so well.

He looks a bit like a Ban Keaw I knew for about six years. Unfortunately the dog succumbed to his yearly booster at the age of 6 years; liver failure. :( He was a wonderful dog, loved water and very much loved by his owner, and vice versa.

Hi Nienke,

I followed your advice to the letter and had him eating out my hand within an hour..

Walking him within 1 day and into the pickup on day 2..

By day 3 he was attached :) Amazing dog...

Thanks for your help, it was priceless :)

What talking in his (body) language, a little bit of bribing, and especially positive reinforcement can do! You've gotten his trust in no-time. Wonderful! :)

Thanks for this update, it made my day. :)

Cesar Millan would even be impressed.

Sorry to spoil the party, but somehow I doubt that Cesar Milan would be at all impressed by anyone walking dogs off the lead that are known to fight, particularly when they know that their route takes them past other dogs that are also known/encouraged to fight.

Sorry to spoil the party, but somehow I doubt that Cesar Milan would be at all impressed by anyone walking dogs off the lead that are known to fight, particularly when they know that their route takes them past other dogs that are also known/encouraged to fight.

Yes, on the lead anywhere near other dogs or joggers.

I did once let mine off the lead when he was attacked by a soi dog much bigger than himself; he routed the soi dog in 30 seconds flat, and came back so pleased with himself. He wasn't too keen to go back on the lead again, though.

i owned a bangkeaw thai dog for 1 year

after 1 year i moved to another city and could not take him with me

i learned the following:

very territorial

liked to chase anything or anyone moving....especially young children running

not friendly to other ppl

very loving and attentive to family and those he knows

when at home barked a lot when ppl walk by that he does not know

very intelligent dog

loves to play with family

i love this dog

i hope this info his helpful

good luck!!

I am assuming that English is not your first language and that is why you got the wrong end of the stick. Let me start from the beginning. I noticed that the most aggressive/unstable dogs were white, then black and the most stable and least aggressive were brown. So when I got my second dog from the soi dog foundation, I chose a very calm, 5 months, brown pup. I wanted one about that age as it would be very accustomed to dogs - it was living in a pen of about 40 dogs under the age of 1. This dog is extremely balanced. 10 big dogs can come out of nowhere and crowd him, all smelling him at the same time. He just calmly stands there until they are finished and then they let him do whatever he wants. The Vast majority of dogs will only attack unbalanced dogs and my brown dog has never been attacked. Cesar Millan is impressed by balanced dogs and I am telling you mate, there are not many more balanced than him :jap:

My wife likes to make comics and here he is in action ;)

post-136137-0-60836800-1312600912_thumb.

i owned a bangkeaw thai dog for 1 year

after 1 year i moved to another city and could not take him with me

i learned the following:

very territorial

very loving and attentive to family and those he knows

when at home barked a lot when ppl walk by that he does not know

very intelligent dog

loves to play with family

i love this dog

i hope this info his helpful

good luck!!

I would agree, accept with this bit;

Mine knows to ignore children. He is very friendly to people visiting and even when he sees Farrangs he does not know outside, he often thinks he knows them and submissively welcomes them. He completely ignores everyone else when out. :)

Yes, on the lead anywhere near other dogs or joggers.

I did once let mine off the lead when he was attacked by a soi dog much bigger than himself; he routed the soi dog in 30 seconds flat, and came back so pleased with himself. He wasn't too keen to go back on the lead again, though.

I think it depends on the dogs. Mine completely ignores everyone including joggers, children, livestock and other dogs but then he was socialized properly off the lead since he was 2 months old. Obviously it would be different in the city but I live next to the beach :D . If I had kept him on the lead at all times then I am sure I could not trust what he might do if he now escaped.

Because he has met so many soi and beach dogs off the lead, even though, or perhaps because of the fact, he is not that comfortable with new dogs, and because he has had a few skirmishes with them, he has a healthy respect for them and will always ignore them. Most have a healthy respect for him too. IMO the vast majority of soi and beach dogs are balanced and if your dog pays them the appropriate respect they will be fine. Having your dog on a lead and shooing away a beach dog so that it can not meet & greet your dog is disrespectful in the dog world. It will also make your dog more likely to fight dogs.

If however 4 dogs are too forward and impolite when they meet my BK, because he is not the most relaxed dog in the world, he will let them know that their behaviour is impolite. Exactly like a girl slapping someone for pinching her bum. I have no problem with this, my dog is not doing anything wrong and he can handle himself. :)

I am assuming that English is not your first language and that is why you got the wrong end of the stick.

Your assumption is incorrect - I was not referring to the dog.

.... Think he is genuine BK but no tattoo in his ear ??

A tattoo by itself does not indicate pedigree in any breed of dog, CC. That requires registration in the breed register held by the national Kennel Club. Some dogs are tattooed to assist in identification, but without the appropriate registration, proof and papers it is meaningless as some dogs are also tattooed to trick unsuspecting buyers into thinking that they are registered pedigree dogs when they are not.

.... Think he is genuine BK but no tattoo in his ear ??

A tattoo by itself does not indicate pedigree in any breed of dog, CC. That requires registration in the breed register held by the national Kennel Club. Some dogs are tattooed to assist in identification, but without the appropriate registration, proof and papers it is meaningless as some dogs are also tattooed to trick unsuspecting buyers into thinking that they are registered pedigree dogs when they are not.

My Bangkaew was given to me (without papers) at the age of about 6 weeks. The donor bred BKs himself, but bought these from one of the Pi-lok farms as his puppies weren't good enough. He was tattooed, as was one of his siblings, when he arrived . No, I agree the tattoo itself does not confer pedigree status... but if you wanted to breed him as a pedigree dog, you would need tattoo plus papers.

Incidentally, mine was very highly strung, probably an indication of inbreeding.

I suppose I should carry my dog around in a handbag like you! :lol:

No, simply avoid areas where you know there is a high possibility of your dog getting involved in a fight.

When I only had boxers I drove them to the beach twice a day as there was nowhere suitable for walking them around me and I did not have enough land to exercise them on. I always took them to an area where there were usually no other dogs and few people. It was not a question of whether they could "handle themselves" or not - on the one and only occasion when a pack of half a dozen stray dogs came to the beach and decided to attack the elder dog, they soon realised that they had made a mistake and never re-appeared. I simply see no reason to put myself in a position where I am likely to be involved in a fight so I see no reason why I should put my dogs in that position - although it is a long time since I had to I can probably still "handle myself"comparatively well (I was a qualified military Aikido Instructor) but I have no interest in putting myself or my dogs to the test if it can be avoided.

Now, fortunately, I no longer need to exercise my dogs outside as I have enough land (and too many dogs).

Does the military have unqualified Aikido instructors as well?

.... Sorry, couldn't resist ... ;):P

Do agree with you, though. Why would anyone put their dog in situations where there is the possibility the dog will be involved of a (near) fight? I doubt the dog enjoys it. And it's definitely not fair on the dog.

I'm proud of my male German Shepherd as he rather avoids fights. While he does not show submission, he let the other dog know, by lots of body language and signals, that he is friendly and not in it for a fight. In case the other dog shows he is in it for a fight, I will step in between and take my dog(s) away from that situation. Why should I risk my dog(s) gets hurt?

After all, it's my duty to prevent my pack from getting hurt, either physically or mentally.

Edited by Nienke

Do agree with you, though. Why would anyone put their dog in situations where there is the possibility the dog will be involved of a (near) fight? I doubt the dog enjoys it. And it's definitely not fair on the dog.

I'm proud of my male German Shepherd as he rather avoids fights. While he does not show submission, he let the other dog know, by lots of body language and signals, that he is friendly and not in it for a fight. In case the other dog shows he is in it for a fight, I will step in between and take my dog(s) away from that situation. Why should I risk my dog(s) gets hurt?

After all, it's my duty to prevent my pack from getting hurt, either physically or mentally.

German Shepherds kept as pets tend to be great softies, but they're good at bluffing. I remember an incident where a much smaller dog insisted on a fight with my male GS, and the GS just thwacked it under the belly with his right front paw. But Bangkaews are natural fighters, and really seem to enjoy a scrap.

No problem :wai:! I put the "qualified" bit in because it wasn't my job and it was just one of those things you learn along the way. I made the mistake before on TV of giving my medical qualifications and later saying that I "wasn't a medic" as that wasn't my job either for which I was accused of lying, so I thought I'd forestall that here - although I must add that I doubt it would happen here as that sort of thing doesn't seem to happen in this forum, thankfully (or thank bina!).

My old boxer sounds much like your GSD, but he sadly died peacefully six years ago. He never looked for a fight, but he was very protective of all my other dogs and was more than capable of seeing off any other dogs that were stupid enough to threaten them; I never trained him to, but fortunately whenever he "put the bite" on another dog he simply held and applied pressure (as guard/police dogs have to be trained to do) rather tore. I miss him more than any friend I have had.

I remember an incident where a much smaller dog insisted on a fight with my male GS, and the GS just thwacked it under the belly with his right front paw.

My Old English Sheepdog used to do the same - 30 years ago I took her with me on the streets in Northern Ireland occasionally, as the locals had trained their dogs to bite the troops (we got our own back in various ways!). She was unusually large for a bitch and her thick coat protected her from any bites and she just used to punch them away!

My "boss" Basset finds his most effective tool is just to sit on smaller dogs!

I suppose I should carry my dog around in a handbag like you! :lol:

No, simply avoid areas where you know there is a high possibility of your dog getting involved in a fight.

I quite agree and my BK will not go to certain areas where he had bad experiences as a pup. The brown dog can go anywhere. Actually I have rarely seen local dogs attack, all they want is respect. I take them for a run to various different routes and the only thing that sometimes happens is we get barked at. However this being Thailand there is always the possibility of meeting dogs that are aggressive. Last time it was a Farrang's 3 dogs that attacked the bangkaew.

When I only had boxers I drove them to the beach twice a day as there was nowhere suitable for walking them around me and I did not have enough land to exercise them on. I always took them to an area where there were usually no other dogs and few people. It was not a question of whether they could "handle themselves" or not - on the one and only occasion when a pack of half a dozen stray dogs came to the beach and decided to attack the elder dog, they soon realised that they had made a mistake and never re-appeared. I simply see no reason to put myself in a position where I am likely to be involved in a fight so I see no reason why I should put my dogs in that position - although it is a long time since I had to I can probably still "handle myself"comparatively well (I was a qualified military Aikido Instructor) but I have no interest in putting myself or my dogs to the test if it can be avoided.

Now, fortunately, I no longer need to exercise my dogs outside as I have enough land (and too many dogs).

We come across a house that has a big boxer and a pitbull, luckily they are behind a gate. I think I am right in saying that a boxer is also a bully breed and therefore the exact opposite of my/a BK. My BK only wants to ignore other dogs and all he wants to do is be with and guard us. What I have seen of the bully breeds is that they go right up to the groin of another dog for a good old sniff, not much respect or circling involved. As my BK is not in to that one bit, there would be a fight, or rather he would bite (not usually a fight as he bites and then moves on or if there are a lot, they move away) . The one time we met a pitbull he was right up in the back of the pick-up pronto!

All my BK wants is to avoid conflict and as I say, his body language is enough to keep dogs at a distance. If he doesn't want to meet dogs then he stops and he jumps up in to the back of the pick-up but normally he wants to continue enjoying running about. If you were determined never to meet other dogs then you would do what indeed most Farrang's dogs do, stay home. My dogs meet so many dogs that they know how to diffuse the situation. My BK has never been hurt in a skirmish, he is just too dam_n quick and because the brown dog is so balanced he has never been in a fight.

German Shepherds kept as pets tend to be great softies, but they're good at bluffing. I remember an incident where a much smaller dog insisted on a fight with my male GS, and the GS just thwacked it under the belly with his right front paw. But Bangkaews are natural fighters, and really seem to enjoy a scrap.

A friend has a female GSD and I call it the best dog in the world, amazing temperament. She does not stand for any nonsense from my BK either though. When he would go there she would keep him out of the house like he was one of her flock. No good for me though as she is pretty afraid of the local dogs and will not go out. Below is the 2 of them when my BK was about 11 months. As for bangkaews enjoying a scrap, I would say my mix does not. They are natural fighters because they have so much adrenalin that they fight like their lives depend on it. The intensity and ferocity is a bit of a shock for the other dogs. Very fear aggressive because of the jackal in them.

post-136137-0-46411200-1313051342_thumb.

My old boxer sounds much like your GSD, but he sadly died peacefully six years ago. He never looked for a fight, but he was very protective of all my other dogs and was more than capable of seeing off any other dogs that were stupid enough to threaten them; I never trained him to, but fortunately whenever he "put the bite" on another dog he simply held and applied pressure (as guard/police dogs have to be trained to do) rather tore. I miss him more than any friend I have had.

My Old English Sheepdog used to do the same - 30 years ago I took her with me on the streets in Northern Ireland occasionally, as the locals had trained their dogs to bite the troops (we got our own back in various ways!). She was unusually large for a bitch and her thick coat protected her from any bites and she just used to punch them away!

Its not my style to tell other people how to live their lives but I do enjoy a good debate :) So how is that I am irresponsible for simply walking my dog, but you think it is fine for you to take your Old English Sheepdog out somewhere where you know it will be attacked by local dogs and maybe even shot at or have bottles shattered at her feet? Why is it ok for your boxer to "put the bite" on another dog when protecting his pack but it is wrong of my dog to simply protect himself? :D

We come across a house that has a big boxer and a pitbull, luckily they are behind a gate. I think I am right in saying that a boxer is also a bully breed and therefore the exact opposite of my/a BK.

It depends on the owner more than the dog with boxers - most boxers are highly intelligent, very good at problem solving, and respond very well to positive reinforcement and they are comparatively easy to train by any competent dog handler.

Most will seldom look for a fight, but they are very protective of their owners and their pack/family. On one occasion when I only had two dogs (both boxers, a dog and a bitch) a lady-friend of mine was looking after them at her house for me while I was away for a few days. Unfortunately she forgot to tell her then boyfriend, who jumped over the fence to pay her a surprise visit. She glanced out of the window to see him lying flat on his back in the middle of the lawn with my boxer dog standing over him, growling quietly every time he tried to move - apparently he had been lying there for about 10 minutes after being knocked flat with no warning bark at all, no biting (but plenty of drool), and he was too terrified to call out with the Hound of the Baskervilles glaring down at him.

Between taking my dogs to the beach by car and living where I am now I lived right beside the beach and took my dogs to the beach in front of the house every day as there were no local dogs there at all and there was no direct public access. When a new neighbour moved in with his boxer and bulldog, which he had previously kept in his bar, he rather stupidly decided that as his dogs could "handle themselves" he would just let them loose on the beach without bothering to even check who else was there. Both ran down the slope, onto the beach, and started chasing the small puppies I had with me, knocking two flying. My boxer dog was swimming (he would swim for 20 to 30 minutes at a time, twice a day) but as soon as he heard the barking he was back on the beach to defend his pack in seconds. The bulldog was sent flying and disappeared back up the hill while the other boxer was pinned on his back by mine with his throat firmly in my boxer's jaws. After checking my other dogs I told mine to let him go, which he did (reluctantly!).

The owner was adamant that his dogs were not at fault and that he was going to keep them loose (mine were kept in a fenced garden except when going to the beach), but although the bulldog had got the message the other boxer hadn't and he still regularly tried his luck to bully the pups, with the same result every time. Fortunately for all concerned they didn't stay too long.

To me they are the perfect dog - intelligent, great with children and other dogs, clean, easy to train, strong, loyal, and totally honest. Their only drawback as pets, guard dogs, security dogs or seeing-eye dogs is that they get hot very quickly and their lifespan is comparatively short (less than 10 years). They are incredibly handsome and expressive as a breed, which they seem to know: when God made the first boxer and he saw himself in the mirror he was so keen for a closer look at the most handsome animal he had ever seen that he ran towards his reflection, slid into the mirror and squashed his nose.

Even though I haven't got one at the moment I love boxers (in case you hadn't noticed!)

We come across a house that has a big boxer and a pitbull, luckily they are behind a gate. I think I am right in saying that a boxer is also a bully breed and therefore the exact opposite of my/a BK.

It depends on the owner more than the dog with boxers - most boxers are highly intelligent, very good at problem solving, and respond very well to positive reinforcement and they are comparatively easy to train by any competent dog handler.

Most will seldom look for a fight, but they are very protective of their owners and their pack/family. On one occasion when I only had two dogs (both boxers, a dog and a bitch) a lady-friend of mine was looking after them at her house for me while I was away for a few days. Unfortunately she forgot to tell her then boyfriend, who jumped over the fence to pay her a surprise visit. She glanced out of the window to see him lying flat on his back in the middle of the lawn with my boxer dog standing over him, growling quietly every time he tried to move - apparently he had been lying there for about 10 minutes after being knocked flat with no warning bark at all, no biting (but plenty of drool), and he was too terrified to call out with the Hound of the Baskervilles glaring down at him.

Between taking my dogs to the beach by car and living where I am now I lived right beside the beach and took my dogs to the beach in front of the house every day as there were no local dogs there at all and there was no direct public access. When a new neighbour moved in with his boxer and bulldog, which he had previously kept in his bar, he rather stupidly decided that as his dogs could "handle themselves" he would just let them loose on the beach without bothering to even check who else was there. Both ran down the slope, onto the beach, and started chasing the small puppies I had with me, knocking two flying. My boxer dog was swimming (he would swim for 20 to 30 minutes at a time, twice a day) but as soon as he heard the barking he was back on the beach to defend his pack in seconds. The bulldog was sent flying and disappeared back up the hill while the other boxer was pinned on his back by mine with his throat firmly in my boxer's jaws. After checking my other dogs I told mine to let him go, which he did (reluctantly!).

The owner was adamant that his dogs were not at fault and that he was going to keep them loose (mine were kept in a fenced garden except when going to the beach), but although the bulldog had got the message the other boxer hadn't and he still regularly tried his luck to bully the pups, with the same result every time. Fortunately for all concerned they didn't stay too long.

To me they are the perfect dog - intelligent, great with children and other dogs, clean, easy to train, strong, loyal, and totally honest. Their only drawback as pets, guard dogs, security dogs or seeing-eye dogs is that they get hot very quickly and their lifespan is comparatively short (less than 10 years). They are incredibly handsome and expressive as a breed, which they seem to know: when God made the first boxer and he saw himself in the mirror he was so keen for a closer look at the most handsome animal he had ever seen that he ran towards his reflection, slid into the mirror and squashed his nose.

Even though I haven't got one at the moment I love boxers (in case you hadn't noticed!)

Yes I quite fancy getting a boxer but am pretty sure I will end up just rescuing!

From what I have seen of the bully breeds is that they do not go for a fight, just are very confident and forward. If they do get in to fights, it is probably because of that, they probably receive the first bite. As I say, my BK mix can not handle a very forward dog.

Re the neighbour. The problem was that his dogs were not properly socialized as they were in a bar. Your dog did them a big favour by showing them what was unacceptable. If they had ran free from puppyhood they would not have acted like that IMO. A dog being able to handle itself is simply knowing how to meet new dogs and not have a fight. You ever had an Akita?

... she forgot to tell her then boyfriend, who jumped over the fence to pay her a surprise visit. She glanced out of the window to see him lying flat on his back in the middle of the lawn with my boxer dog standing over him, growling quietly every time he tried to move - apparently he had been lying there for about 10 minutes after being knocked flat with no warning bark at all, no biting (but plenty of drool), and he was too terrified to call out with the Hound of the Baskervilles glaring down at him.

Did she take pic's? :whistling::lol:

Amen to that! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Time for boxer pic's again, methinks!

My most beloved late boxer, Lucky. She had distemper when I bought her as a pup, and because of that remained relatively small. She was everything you said. :)

post-27646-0-30058900-1313149339_thumb.j

Me and my dog :wub:

edit: oops, I think the boxers are hijacking the thread. ;)

Edited by Nienke