Uttaradit

Krub

Hi Jack

My wife's family live in the Uttaradit district near the river.

The surrounding country side is very picturesque and peaceful EXCEPT FOR !!

(see my article in the forum under "The early am. tannoy system" !!)

The Queen Sirikit Dam is a nice place to visit and eat and there is a recent new golf course near there.

I will be building up there sometime in the near future.

It does seem everyone gets up by 6am but it is a nice time of day then and the people are hard working on the land.

I lived in Uttaradit for over a year. Very famaliar with the Laplae area as well. Its extremely hot. People are generally nicer and more open to conversing with farangs than in more populated areas. White people are like celebrities for the most part. Country around Laplae is gorgeous. Theres a decent waterfall about 15 km out of town.

Im outta time for now bud. Send me a message if I can provide a clearer picture.

Hi,

Am planning to live 20km out of Uttaradit in Laplae.

Wonder if anybody would have any first hand experience around Uttaradit ?

Jack

We drove from Uttaradit to Sri Nakhon, Pichai, Sawanhalok, Sukothai about 8.30 Couple of weeks ago...Closed! As far as I remeber the big hotel opposite Fridays has a disco...and there is a TESCO!!! We live, near Sri Satch...of course... which is beautiful...but I guess you are geared up for early mornings, early nights and a bit of gardening?? Expereince? Oh Yeah!

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Building House on 63, MOO 9, T.PHALUED, A.THAPLA, UTALADIT, 53190 go there every 3 weeks on my R&R would be intrested in meeting anybody for a Drink as iam new to the Area, Stay at the Hotel in Uttaradit at the moment the wife comes from the area will be back on the 29th April 2008

• 2 months later...

hi Jack. my wife lives in ban nanokkok with her familly.think its near laplae.spent lot time in admin centre when married her.my wife having our baby soon and im organising settlement visa for scotland for her (not as hot eh?)was uttaradit 5 times over the year.great fishing ,scenery lovely ,beer cheap .hotels good karaoke not all thai music.locals make us farangs feel wellcome .planning settling there myself sometime.good luck mate

• 2 weeks later...
The Queen Sirikit Dam is a nice place to visit and eat and there is a recent new golf course near there.

Planning to stop off in Uttaradit for a night or 2 in December,

Would appreciate any more info on the golf course mentioned, How far from town and do they hire clubs,

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Uttaradit is a nice place, on the Nam Naan. There are two golf courses, one is near the Sirirkit Dam, I don't play golf but it looks like a nice place to do so. The other golf course is in Udit just near the army barraks to the North of he township, not quite as attractive as the Sirikit Dam golf course. The city itself (you could even call it a township) is not an overly busy place, the people are great, there are a limited amount of Farang living there and one can generally feel quite safe. Just out of town there is the Sirikit Dam, a dam wall with a hydro electric plant, great views, good food available out there, a nice day trip about 45 minutes out of Udit. There is Din Dam, 45minutes out of Udit as well, a nice drive out that way, reasonable food, not a bad place to go and eat on a hot day. There are pontons on the riverside fashioned into restaraunts, plenty going on with boats and people coming and going. Mae Phun waterfall is another attraction in Udit, 25-30 minutes out of udit, again with food for sale. Not a bad place to spend some time. As far as night life goes, you may be a little dissapointed, Upstairs at the back of the Sihalat hotel is as good as it gets. there are a couple of other places around between the hospital and the Uni but nothing flash. In september there is the festival langshart, it goes for about a week and a half, it's a really big deal for local folk, nothing overly exciting really but a good night out for the family, plenty of Muay if your keen. For shopping there is a lotus and at some stage I believe there is going to be a big C, Friday is the only other department style shopping you'll find, plenty of other vendors selling what is essentially crap. Don't expect to much from Uttaradit and you wo'nt be dissapointed, if you don't mind a quiet, slow pace, you will like Udit. Above all be respectfull of everyone, Farang in Udit are spoilt in the sence that the lack of vast amounts of Farang hav'nt tarnished our reputation.

Also out to the west is SiSachanalai, a good place to go and buy silk, a little furthur on from there is Sukhothai. Two good places to go for an overnighter or an extended daytrip if you need to break some boredom.

DAMO....

Uttaradit is a nice place, on the Nam Naan. There are two golf courses, one is near the Sirirkit Dam, I don't play golf but it looks like a nice place to do so. The other golf course is in Udit just near the army barraks to the North of he township, not quite as attractive as the Sirikit Dam golf course. The city itself (you could even call it a township) is not an overly busy place, the people are great, there are a limited amount of Farang living there and one can generally feel quite safe. Just out of town there is the Sirikit Dam, a dam wall with a hydro electric plant, great views, good food available out there, a nice day trip about 45 minutes out of Udit. There is Din Dam, 45minutes out of Udit as well, a nice drive out that way, reasonable food, not a bad place to go and eat on a hot day. There are pontons on the riverside fashioned into restaraunts, plenty going on with boats and people coming and going. Mae Phun waterfall is another attraction in Udit, 25-30 minutes out of udit, again with food for sale. Not a bad place to spend some time. As far as night life goes, you may be a little dissapointed, Upstairs at the back of the Sihalat hotel is as good as it gets. there are a couple of other places around between the hospital and the Uni but nothing flash. In september there is the festival langshart, it goes for about a week and a half, it's a really big deal for local folk, nothing overly exciting really but a good night out for the family, plenty of Muay if your keen. For shopping there is a lotus and at some stage I believe there is going to be a big C, Friday is the only other department style shopping you'll find, plenty of other vendors selling what is essentially crap. Don't expect to much from Uttaradit and you wo'nt be dissapointed, if you don't mind a quiet, slow pace, you will like Udit. Above all be respectfull of everyone, Farang in Udit are spoilt in the sence that the lack of vast amounts of Farang hav'nt tarnished our reputation.

Also out to the west is SiSachanalai, a good place to go and buy silk, a little furthur on from there is Sukhothai. Two good places to go for an overnighter or an extended daytrip if you need to break some boredom.

DAMO....

Karaoke Bar gives in Friday too..close 4am

you can go when crystalpalm disco close...

siampower

• 2 months later...

I am planning to spend 6 months in Uttaradit from end of this year. The idea is to try and get to know girlfriend's family Who live some 12 km away.

I would be interested to learn of any english speaking ex-pats in the area who could give me the low down on the place and maybe join me for a jar and chin wag when I get there.

For the record I am a golf playing retiree coming out to live a quiet life on a variety of pension schemes.

• 8 months later...

Sirikut reservoir is huge with vast boating and fishing opportunities.

Sirikut_dam_6.jpg

There is a big park at the dam itself and a small community down river that offers accommodation. There is a golf course at the bridge crossing.

Sunset_1_Em.jpg

There is another small community across the lake from the power station, called Din dam. It has a floating village where we sometimes rent a float camp.

Bamboo_dock_2_Em.sized.jpg

Sirikut_floating_lodge_2.jpg

Ferry_boat_1.jpg

Sirikut_village_3.jpg

If you have a boat the fishing can be quite good sometimes

Ian_playing_snakehead_1.sized.jpg

Tong_with_Snakehead_1.jpg

The golf course is just across the Nan River. That is it on the right in this photo.

Nan_River_4.jpg

Nan_River_3.jpg

The park below the dam is quite lovely with many flowering trees.

Sirikut_tree_blossoms_3.jpg

Sirikut_tree_blossoms_1.jpg

Sirikut_Reservoir_2009_015.jpg

Sirikut_Reservoir_sunset_5.jpg

It's even clean enough for a swim once you get away from the populated areas.

Ian_Ziggy_swimming_1.jpg

I am planning to spend 6 months in Uttaradit from end of this year. The idea is to try and get to know girlfriend's family Who live some 12 km away.

I would be interested to learn of any english speaking ex-pats in the area who could give me the low down on the place and maybe join me for a jar and chin wag when I get there.

For the record I am a golf playing retiree coming out to live a quiet life on a variety of pension schemes.

My wife Belgian and I dutchman , ( not the flying , ha , ha ) build a nice house just outside Uttaradit , Tambon Pasao near the main road Nr11.

Very rural quit place to be !

We do speak English.

Anyone who like to contact us ................ WELCOME !!!!

Josef

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie-been a member for awhile ,but just a reader! I too am moving to the area in Dec.with my wife,Her family lives there and we have a home there also-I've been back and fourth fo the last 15 yrs-still not really up to date on the area -But I have had a good steak on Sunday's at The New York Steak House,A very nice German man owns it -And he put's in a ELVIS dvd when we go!It's great!!The area that our is in is passed the sugar factory-POT FANG, I think that is the way to say it? Getting tired of the u.s. and feel time to go,can't seem to stay water here.Really looking forward to meeting some english speaking people,I only really know of the gentlemen I spoke of,at the steak house.And of course I will be in need of some direction when we get there,The family is alot of help -but being American,I can be very inpatent, which I know does not help!We built our house in 2000, and had hope to be there before now -but that's life. Ever year we go we clean and spur up,and do a little more-the home's next to us often wonder if there to stay or just play!Come Dec this year we're there to stay!Look foreward to meeting those of you in the area. Rueben of south Florida!

:) Hey Rockerc, How long have you been in the area? I was not going to bring my canoe ,But after reading your bit-Ithink I might !Everytime I've seen the river it's MOVING a mile a min.,never pictured being in a boat on it!

My wife and I have a house in Pha Leud, Tha Pla - about 35km outside Uttaradit city. The area is quite beautiful and peaceful as others have said - apart from the 6:15am tannoy announcements - which they sometimes seem to dispense with when I am home. It's not the announcements that are the problem, it's the music beforehand. Anyway, wakes me up early so we can all get out on the river in our kayaks. The river is perfect for that up until late morning when they open the spillway at the dam and the volume of water in the river increases dramatically and the current becomes too swift for kayaking (unless going downstream....).

Uttaradit is a nice, reasonably serviced small town - even has a decent coffee shop that knows how to do real expresso and cappuchino. It is a farming support town so don't expect Bangkok. Good for buying Kubota tractors though!

We have cable TV (microwave), two telephone landlines and high speed internet (which works well) - the only thing I want for is a copy of the Bangkok Post - but if you get there early enough you can get one at Se-Ed Bookstore in Lotus.

:) Heiio Damo, you sound like you've been around awhile or you've really done your homework-could you give me some info., what is the average cost of elec. that seems to be one of my concerns,at this time I only see my cost -monthly to be internet-cable,elec,food,I can't think of much more at this time -maybe I need a eye opener!Would you mind giving me some in put Thanks,Rueben :D

DAMO....

• 6 months later...
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie-been a member for awhile ,but just a reader! I too am moving to the area in Dec.with my wife,Her family lives there and we have a home there also-I've been back and fourth fo the last 15 yrs-still not really up to date on the area -But I have had a good steak on Sunday's at The New York Steak House,A very nice German man owns it -And he put's in a ELVIS dvd when we go!It's great!!The area that our is in is passed the sugar factory-POT FANG, I think that is the way to say it? Getting tired of the u.s. and feel time to go,can't seem to stay water here.Really looking forward to meeting some english speaking people,I only really know of the gentlemen I spoke of,at the steak house.And of course I will be in need of some direction when we get there,The family is alot of help -but being American,I can be very inpatent, which I know does not help!We built our house in 2000, and had hope to be there before now -but that's life. Ever year we go we clean and spur up,and do a little more-the home's next to us often wonder if there to stay or just play!Come Dec this year we're there to stay!Look foreward to meeting those of you in the area. Rueben of south Florida!

Hello. Is there anyone who knows the address to The New York Steak House in Uttradit and a telephone number. Thanks for the help :-)))))

Hello. Is there anyone who knows the address to The New York Steak House in Uttradit and a telephone number. Thanks for the help :-)))))

Yes, tell me your eMail Adress and i send your a Google Map. I get of him, only a Visit Card in Thai. But first sorry for my Bad english...My German is Better.

Here first the telephonenumber from klaus. 081-9725426

open time

11-14

17-22

Good thread about Uttaradit! I pass through there every time I go to my wife's village, a bit north of Phrae.

In reply to the person who was looking for the A-frame 'hut', there are a bunch of 'wood dealers' or building supplies companies on the road out of Uttaradit towards Phrae. You can buy great doors, windows etc there. but I've also seen the A-frame that was mentioned.

Life in any village up in that region is probably much the same, so I would say that you are right about the only costs being internet, electric and food/drink. You will need a motorbike, I would say, and satellite TV, unless the available internet is better than what's available in our village.

Trips to Tesco are also essential for ground coffee and chicken that's not gai bahn!

I wish we had a golf course within 100 miles, but unfortunately we don't (maybe we should move to Uttaradit!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've lived in Uttaradit for 15 months now and can't say I have any regrets. However, I used to be a sailing freak, and I do miss that. I understand that one is able to sail on the reservoir at the Sirikit dam and I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction toward achieving that aim. For example: Where could I buy a small sailing craft; what prices should I expect to pay; Any restrictions to sailing and mooring at the dam; any security issues.

Back to Uttaradit; It's a quiet town with very little to do and hardly suitable for those younger ex pats or anyone who likes a hectic life. At 67 years of age I am content to sit back and take it easy. Although we have a Western style kitchen in the new house we hardly ever eat the evening meal at home, preferring to have one meal a week at Steak New York and one at Swiss Gardens, both run by farangs. The other 5 evenings we go to several Thai restaurants of which there are many.

I'm now a member of the local golf course - which has recently been increased from 9 holes to 18- but I can't say I enjoy it as much as I did in the UK. To my knowledge there are no other farang members there and, because of the heat, I usually play quite early when the course is quiet, so it is usually a question of playing by myself with a caddy in tow.

The Siharage and Friday hotels throw shows every so often, inviting Thai singing stars to perform, and I think there are a few karaoke bars dotted about. Oh yes, we also have a cinema. and the University had an excelent swiming pool. Two supermarkets; Tesco Lotus and Friday, and a number of open markets provide all requirements.

All in all not much different from a small farming town in the UK except for the bloody motorcycles!

• 5 months later...

Yes, tell me your eMail Adress and i send your a Google Map. I get of him, only a Visit Card in Thai. But first sorry for my Bad english...My German is Better.

Here first the telephonenumber from klaus. 081-9725426

open time

11-14

17-22

I visit my wife's family in the Uttaradit area occassionally and would also like to know the location of The New York Steak House. My email is: [email protected] Vielen Danke