Text And Talk School.... Bkk

ChrisP

I'm considering enrolling with the Text and Talk School in BKK (the one near Chatujak) in July, to get my TEFL.

I understand it's 120hours, 6 weeks, 4 days a week.

Anyone have any knowledge of their school, quality, placement, etc...

Cheers

ChrisP

Chris, you naughty, naughty, man, you- that's like waving a red flag in front of the bull.

I think one of the other posters here might be PM'ing you shortly with details...

However, for a fair estimate of the TnT experience (though I think in Chiang Mai, not Bangkok) you might PM or ask PeaceBlondie.

If you're in town for that long, look me up!

"Steven"

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw the ad. on ThaiVisa for Chichester College TEFL...

Seems a bit short!?? Compared to Text & Talk.

4 Saturdays - 24 hours classroom, 24 hours CyberClass, + hours for writing/journals..

Any observations..?

ChrisP

Edited by ChrisP

I think IJWT's reference is more to what happens on Ajarn.com when people ask about TEFL courses!

I can assure you the same will not happen here :o

Ok, reassured somewhat by that, I'll ask my question here rather than via PM,

hoping that I don't start an emotional discussion.

I'm comparing & contrasting Text N Talk with Tefl International (my literature teachers always compared and contrasted, it was never sufficient simply to compare).

I've read both of their web pages. TnT certainly talks a good line, but the 6 hours of classroom instruction has me concerned. 20:1 seems a very high ratio of book-learning time to practice time.

By the time everything is added up (lodging, utilities, security deposit confiscations) it looks like TnT will be more expensive than TEFL Int. Is that right?

I had thought TEFL Int had a higher number of classroom practice hours, but I must have confused it with some other program (edit: it was APEC). Some program was offering 80 hours of lecture and 40 hours of practice, I think (edit: but that includes course prep etc). But TEFL Int seems to be offering the same as TnT when I look at it today.

So having compared and contrasted I'm now confused and confounded.

Edited by jerry921

Something I thought a little odd on the Text and Talk website is that they

openly state that although a degree is required to get a work permit, work can be had without one. In all fairness that is true, but for a reputable company to openly state that in their literature looks weird. It surprises me that the MOE hasn't come down on them for it.

Labor Dept I'd say mate! MoE do teachers licences is all!

Also it is possible (not easy by any means!) to get a WP without a degree.

I think if you check a lot of websites for 'reputable' schools you'll see they do things like this (I think AUA may still have the 3 months probation before you get a WP info on their website).

Common practice and no biggie IMEHO!

Edited by kenkannif

I think if you check a lot of websites for 'reputable' schools you'll see they do things like this (I think AUA may still have the 3 months probation before you get a WP info on their website).

Yes of course we all know it's possible, blah, blah, but to openly say it in the website? I just thought it looked tacky.

Yes of course we all know it's possible, blah, blah, but to openly say it in the website? I just thought it looked tacky.

At first I thought you were implying that the MoE would get upset (in a legal sense) about it, now it's tacky or is that what you thought they'd get upset about?

Also it's a training course website (i.e. they're not saying they'll employ you are they?), and it's a common fact that it is possible to get work here without a degree. I'm guessing, and I know this might sound a bit KER-RAZY, but if it said you have to have a degree they might get less business? I think if you check most TEFL providers' websites you'll see the same kind of thing mate. I truly though don't get the tacky bit?

How would you phrase it then?

but if it said you have to have a degree they might get less business?" 

"How would you phrase it then?"

Ah, there we go!$$$. How would I phrase it? I think I did. How would I rephrase it?

Maybe, 'unprofessional'?

There's no need to inform me that it's possible to find work without a work permit. I'm living proof of it after teaching in Bangkok for close to nine years without a work permit. I'm not ashamed of it beacause under the circunstances I did what I had to do. I just don't like the way they word it in their website. Like I said it looks unprofessional. In ECC's information it clearly states that to obtain a work permit a degree is necessary. However, if you email them, another tale is told.

Edited by kenkannif

Labor Dept I'd say mate! MoE do teachers licences is all

At first I thought you were implying that the MoE would get upset (in a legal sense) about it, now it's tacky or is that what you thought they'd get upset about?

A legal sense. I don't know who would be more inclined to object to it, the MOE

or the labor department or both.

Edited by kenkannif

I meant how would you phrase the offending sentence, not how would you rephrase tacky!

I'm also not informing you that it's possible to find work without a work permit (although that doesn't really make sense. Better to say it's possible and happens often that you'll work without a work permit), I actually said it is possible to get a work permit without a degree.

Yeah I have fair few friends at ECC! Although to be fair I've spoken with Simon there and he seems up front and a pretty good bloke!

I don't think either the MoE or Labor would worry, as it's not implying people should work without a work permit, rather that they do (i.e. it's a fact of life here basically)?

Here's what they say about no degree: "...and you will not get in trouble for doing this (if you are peaceful) because this is after all Thailand, The Land of Smiles."

"....and the overwhelming majority have both teacher's licenses and work permits."

Overwhelming majority? Who are they trying to kid? :o

Edited by mbkudu

I meant how would you phrase the offending sentence, not how would you rephrase tacky!

Sorry, got it. Maybe something like this: A work permit and teacher's license cannot be obtained without a BA degree due to Thai government reulations, however circumstances in different regions of Thailand and other countries do vary

so exceptions can often be made.

Just a thought.

Naughty, you took that a tad out of context in full:

if you train, go through your six-month period of "practice" (if you lack prior experience) and teach well and enjoyably, an excellent school that pays well will want to employ you - and you will get both a Teacher's License and a Work Permit - meaning you will never, ever need to go out of Thailand again unless you wish to. And, no, you will not get "in trouble" for doing this (if you're peaceful) because this is, after all, Thailand, "The Land of Smiles"!
Although even if you take it in the context you posted while it's not too good it is true though. So what do you put on there? Untruthful but professional sounding info? Or truthful but unprofessional sounding info? Difficult, I'll have a word with them and see what they say!

I truly don't know if more teachers are legit than aren't, but I'd guess they're not! Although you also took that out of context:

Indeed, there are hundreds (if not actually thousands) of wonderful (and "humanitarian") teachers of English as a foreign language living and working in Thailand who when they arrived had neither experience nor degrees, and the overwhelming majority of them have both Teacher's Licenses and Work Permits and are raising their own families here. Their students and schools are very happy with them, and would surely be diminished if they went away!

And don't EVER let anyone tell you otherwise. Shhh!

^ Which is kind of true actually, I know grandfathered teachers (LDMA from Ajarn for example is legal but doesn't have a degree, I know many more)!

I think I can guess who they're trying to kid :o although I personally don't think there's any kidding going on really once it's been read in full.

Edited by kenkannif

Sorry, got it. Maybe something like this: A work permit and teacher's license cannot be obtained without a BA degree due to Thai government reulations, however circumstances in different regions of Thailand and other countries do vary

so exceptions can often be made.

Wouldn't something like this cut to the chase and then get on with things?

I never studied marketing as you can well see.

• 2 months later...

I can only go by what I've heard and my hoped for intentions.

My son and his wife completed a TEFL course at the Text and Talk in BKK. Yes, they said it was hard work and they needed a break afterwards but they swear by the quality of their training. When I visited them earlier this year, they showed me some of the learning material which they had been given and I was pretty impressed.

Both are now enjoying good salaries at BKK schools. I have to admit at being sold too and I intend to move to Thailand in August. I am currently a college lecturer and have been in training/teaching for 20 years now (though involved with IT/ICT) so this will be a change of course for me (quite late in life too).

First stop will be a TEFL and I have every intention at this point in taking it at Text and Talk.

Not a personal recommendation, I grant, but hope it helps.

• 2 years later...

I just finished a 1 month course at Text and Talk and it was the English school from hel_l!

the evaluators for the practice teaching would each tell you something either different or directly contradictory. And you would be graded on that basis.

you couldn't get a straight answer from the teacher, when you could hear him.

they had 13 people in the class and it was complete chaos.

many of the students were complaining, but not so any teacher or school offical could hear them.

be aware that you will receive a grade for the course, which goes on your TEFL certificate. The head of the school told us today that 85% of the students get a "C" grade. Also, if you have no teaching experience, that goes on your certificate as well.

one caveat, their is an official there by the name of Leigh (don't know if thats spelt correctly) who is absolutely great. the first day i asked about a cab route and by the end of the day he came back with hand drawn maps and thai text to show the driver. all of my experiences with him were similiar. he seemed very, very out of place there!

I just finished a 1 month course at Text and Talk and it was the English school from hel_l!

the evaluators for the practice teaching would each tell you something either different or directly contradictory. And you would be graded on that basis.

you couldn't get a straight answer from the teacher, when you could hear him.

they had 13 people in the class and it was complete chaos.

many of the students were complaining, but not so any teacher or school offical could hear them.

be aware that you will receive a grade for the course, which goes on your TEFL certificate. The head of the school told us today that 85% of the students get a "C" grade. Also, if you have no teaching experience, that goes on your certificate as well.

one caveat, their is an official there by the name of Leigh (don't know if thats spelt correctly) who is absolutely great. the first day i asked about a cab route and by the end of the day he came back with hand drawn maps and thai text to show the driver. all of my experiences with him were similiar. he seemed very, very out of place there!

Before, during and after the clamp down I have spoken to Leigh and emailed him on several occasions.

I have always found him to be supportive and helpful and with that in mind I would (if the Thai education system were to consider letting the great unwashed “back” into teaching) make T and T my school of choice. (The imm B is a nice touch too).

Just my opinion for what it s worth (nowt) :o

Steve :D

I attended the Text and Talk course a few years ago..................... :o Was by far one of the worse experiences in my life. Instructor was hung over more than the students. I have heard the course has improved by leaps and bound since then. I cant say enough good things about Leigh. I believe he was actually taking the course the same time i was, but was on the weekend one.

To the op, i would take Leigh up on the offer and sit in on a few classes to form your own opinion and go from there.

Why did not you or some of your classmates register your complaints with someone in authority at the school as opposed to permitting what you described to continue unaddressed?

Why didn't you do something meaningful to safeguard your investment of time and money?

Why did not you or some of your classmates register your complaints with someone in authority at the school as opposed to permitting what you described to continue unaddressed?

Why didn't you do something meaningful to safeguard your investment of time and money?

This is Thailand.

They most likely knew that their complaints would not have been delt with anyway ( remember we are talking about the Text n' Talk of the past, not the now more productive and improved Text n' Talk )

I too have heard many good comments about T&T, but these are all students who have completed their TEFL in the last 18 months, but students who completed their TEFL at T&T before that period, in most cases, I hear many negative remarks to go with the good ones...............

As teachers, we know that in addition to a course and its teachers being important, the attitude and hard work of the student is even more important. In many respects, you get out of any course what you put into it. We've all seen students who are hung-over or sleeping. The only time I almost fell asleep in my course (I have ADD or narcolepsy), the instructor noticed it immediately and helped me be more alert.

If the material is all new to you: the concepts of teaching and learning, speaking before a class, going back into the classroom 20 years after you finished attending university - then you may not be ready for all the material.