Woman Mauled To Death By 3 Pit Bull Terriers, 3 Wounded

george

I am very sad for the loss that this family suffered. It was entirely preventable.

My observation in Thailand is that pitbulls are not given the respect that they deserve. The can be bought at Chatuchuk market where they are beautiful puppies. Somchai buys one and its great for 6 months, plays with the kids and other dogs, is never fenced. One day it will reach a point where he wants to be the alpha male - and he will snap - and Somchai will laugh as his dog is the toughest in the soi, and its all the dogs fault when it bites the face of his 3 year old daughter.

Pitbulls need very strict regulation, as do all dangerous breeds. Just like a gun, pitbulls should be licensed and Owner and his house checked for suitability and the dogs need to be trained.

I can understand the outrage of people who continually see the results of "pitbull" attacks. Supporters of pitbulls keep spouting the same lines of "its the owners fault" or "all dogs can be dangerous". Fact is, pitbulls are potentially very, very dangerous dogs and should be strictly regulated and Owners held responsible for the dogs behavior.

Excellent observation. Great post.

For the record, Staffordshire Terriers were bred in England in the 19th century. These dogs were later taken to the USA where similar dogs with some differences were registered in 1936 as American Staffordshire Terriers or Amstaffs for short. From this dog (Amstaff) the Pit Bull was bred specifically for fighting and breeders of Pit Bulls today will never mix the bloodline with Amstaffs. Their characteristics are becoming more and more varied over time. Unfortunately some people confuse Staffies with Amstaffs with Pit Bulls, but folks please understand that Pit Bulls ARE different.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37-year-old woman mauled to death by 3 pit bull terriers

pit_bull_terrier.jpg

Pit Bull Terrier. -- Stock photo

NAKHON SAWAN: -- A woman was mauled to death by 3 pit bull terriers, which also injured her three relatives and killed another local dog, police said.

Police said Raksina Techawatanabamrungkij, 37, was killed late Friday night after she released the three pit bull terriers from the cage into the compound of her family's rice mill.

Her mother-in-law, Charoensri Lorlertrat, 53, her daughter, Thaweephan Lorlertrat, 20 months, and her brother-in-law, Satit Lorlertrat, 33, were injured by the dogs.

Charoensri told police that Raksina left the house to release the terriers from their cage at about midnight but she did not come back inside, prompting her daughter to cry.

Charoensri came out to look for her and found her badly-mauled body along with a local pet dog of the family.

The pit bull terriers then turned to attack Charoensri and her granddaughter. She cried for help and when her son came out to help, he was also attacked.

Eventually, Charoensri's husband, Seksuek Lorlertrat, came out to help and shot two terriers dead while the other one escaped.

-- The Nation 2009-04-05

These dogs have been caged for a period of time, well any caged animal will beocome aggressive over time, they are obviously security dogs, that are used during the night periods so what do you expect.

I have these breeds of dogs along with english bull terriers they are great family dogs we have a couple here in phuket and I have had many back home in Australia, which brings me to another questions why does every other country in the world have big problems with these breeds and home is Aus we very rarely hear anything of this nature about attacks.

Anyhow its horrible what happened to the poor lady.

It took me 5 seconds to find this and there have been many others.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21...11-2761,00.html

And this

<h3 class="blogdate">Friday, March 14, 2008</h3> <h2 class="blogtitle">Australia continues to feel the pain of pit bulls</h2> Staffy and Pit Mixes Maul Man Like a Pig

Australia - Three dogs severely mauled a Mareeba man "like he was a pig" yesterday morning. Rescuers say they would have killed him if no one was around to help. The man, believed to be 40, remains in Cairns Base Hospital after undergoing surgery to treat severe bite marks to his legs, arms and stomach.

The man was walking along Doyle St about 9.45am when the animals jumped a front yard fence and lunged at him. Connie and Steve Miller witnessed the savage mauling from their duplex across the road.

"They just wouldn't let go," said Mrs. Miller. "They were chasing him like he was a pig."

The dogs dragged the man to the ground and bit him repeatedly. He lay curled in a ball but was helpless to fend them off. Mr. Miller grabbed a rake and ran out to fight off the dogs. The Millers quickly called triple 0 and then tore up a sheet to strap the man's wounds.

"You should've seen all the blood coming out of him," she said. "He was just bleeding like a bullock. If we didn't put the sheet on him, he would've bled to death."

Nearby resident Shianne Kynuna said the dogs that attacked the man had jumped the fence and menaced her children in the past. She said the dogs make a lot of people in the community very frightened to walk by the house.

Council by-laws give rangers the power to destroy dogs if they are declared dangerous. The two staffordshire-crosses and the pit bull-cross that attacked him are expected to be destroyed as early as today.

And if you have a bit of time just search for Pitt Bull Terrier attacks, there is about

736000 listings just on Google alone. Not bad for a harmless breed :o

So many people who post on here that dont know what they are talking about. Have you been in consistent contact with one of this breed to make a fair opinion?? probably not.

Alot like people who post on things about Thais and their Thai culture but cant read or even speak Thai and hold a conversation.

Do you even know how Thais treat their fuc_kin dogs??? Beleive it or not, there are lots of pitties in Thailand and this is the first case I heard of. It could even be a case of Rabies, rampid in Thailand and highly contagious.

But an opinion is like an asshol_e,, everyone has one.

Contact? You mean: only believe what you can touch? Come off it -- isn't there "proof" enough with newspaper articles every few weeks of someone mauled or children killed? Every country should put a ban on breeding them (those that haven't done so already), and within one generation, you could add pitbulls and Rottweilers to the list of extinct species. Allowing them is about as stupid as allowing everyone to have their own gun(s)...

Where is Amanda on this? She lived in Phuket with her to babies (pair of Pit Bulls) Maybe they ate her?

About 300,000 stray dogs live on Bangkok's streets, local animal charities estimate, while Thais are

increasingly keeping dogs as pets.

One, you can not train out the bad qualities of a pit bull

Two you can not love out the bad qualities of a pit bull

Three you can not wish out the bad qualities of a pit bull

There is nothing you can do to change the bad qualities of a pit bull. PERIOD

You can not breed out the bad qualities of a pit bull, no? :o

Dogs kill woman at horse farm

Two dogs attacked and killed a female worker yesterday at a horse-breeding farm in Buddhamondhol district.Published on December 5, 2007

Shen, 51, described the dogs as non-aggressive and he had never seen them bite anyone before.

"I had never imagined that such an attack would happen," Shen said,Both Beckham and Bamboo were a mixed

breed of 'Bang Kaew' and pitbull terrier.

There are plenty of stories about these dogs and cross breeds of them

NOTE: in some places if you own one you must carry a US$50,000 liability polocy

Pits are extremely unpredictable, as a general rule, if they have been trained to be more agressive then they become a weapon. Why do you think drug dealers in the us use them to protect stash houses? I can guarantee It isnt because they are sweet animals. Yeah the argument that i had a pitbull and it never attacked me is pointless, you could just as easily replace the word pitbull with lion, bear, crocodile... plenty of people own animals like that and dont ever get attacked, but it dosent make them any less dangerous

pit_bull_terrier.jpg

NAKHON SAWAN: -- A woman was mauled to death by 3 pit bull terriers, which also injured her three relatives and killed another local dog, police said.

Police said Raksina Techawatanabamrungkij, 37, was killed late Friday night after she released the three pit bull terriers from the cage into the compound of her family's rice mill.

Her mother-in-law, Charoensri Lorlertrat, 53, her daughter, Thaweephan Lorlertrat, 20 months, and her brother-in-law, Satit Lorlertrat, 33, were injured by the dogs.

Charoensri told police that Raksina left the house to release the terriers from their cage at about midnight but she did not come back inside, prompting her daughter to cry.

Charoensri came out to look for her and found her badly-mauled body along with a local pet dog of the family.

The pit bull terriers then turned to attack Charoensri and her granddaughter. She cried for help and when her son came out to help, he was also attacked.

Eventually, Charoensri's husband, Seksuek Lorlertrat, came out to help and shot two terriers dead while the other one escaped.

-- The Nation 2009-04-05

I love this country very much and it became my home. A Pitt bull is a killing machine..why would you have three? I was thinking about people in Europe, brainless, but a Pit Bull to show how strong they are. I feel sorry for the woman and all others who were injured.

These dogs were bred for this so its no good saying Its the irresponsble owners..These dogs will do this ..Even if you think you know one that is different they are still capable of this and when its too late as in this case......Don't have one and keep away from them..After all a sheep dog is bred to herd sheep and if you have one or know one you will know you cannot stop them doing it!!!!!!!!!!!

I will not judge the owners here as they have lost a member of their family but if they did not have them this would not have happened..

Condolences to the family

In New Zealand people are prosecuted and even sent to jail for dog attacks. They are solely responsible for their actions.

http://nziaco.co.nz/main.php?id=65

Here in Thailand I take people to hospital weekly with dog bites. I once tried to inform the local council and they were not interested. And obviously, as usual, the local police were not interested either. I have given up trying to get anything done by the authorities.

There are dogs all over BKK terrorizing people but nothing is ever done. Amazingly people call my group daily to catch harmless snakes(non-poisonous) and other animals, but never dogs! They seem to have a revered place in Thai society.

I have it from Thai friends that they believe dogs, and soi dogs in particular, are the reborn souls of monks who were bad in their last lives...and who in Thailand would hurt a monk?? :o

SORRY, BUT THAT BEHAVIOR IS NOT STEREOTYPICAL OF ANY BREED. THE OWNERS AND WHOEVER TRAINED THESE DOGS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE. PERIOD!

I agree with this, unfortunately it seems that MOST people that own these dogs anywhere in the world, have them to train them for attacking.......and in Thailand considering how the people here treat the dogs they supposedly love, I'm not surprised.

I just spent two days at Kasetsart animal hospital with our dog and my observation there was that even people that seem to love their animals are consistently raising their hands to them while making a noise in their throat and a menacing look on their faces, even if they don't intend on actually hitting them, the animal doesn't feel happy or secure. The instance yesterday was with a cat......which respond totally different than dogs......but here this woman was acting like she was going to hit it. The poor thing had just had surgery. Sickening.

Beachbunny

SORRY, BUT THAT BEHAVIOR IS NOT STEREOTYPICAL OF ANY BREED. THE OWNERS AND WHOEVER TRAINED THESE DOGS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE. PERIOD!

Hey Oilman, I've trained my pet cobra not to bite. Care to look after it when I go away on my hols?

Being a Pitbull owner i would have to agree with most of the negative post's on this thread.

My Pitbull is a sweet simplton, very well behaved and affectionate with myself and my imediate family members aswell as our other dogs.

Saying that though he will attack any other strange dogs who he comes into contact with.

I would say that his intelligence is below normal even for his breed and i would not trust him for a second with kids or people he is not familiar with.

I would'nt recommened a pitbull for a family pet as they are extremely high matainence and you need the correct enviroment and infostucture to keep them. I am considering putting mine down, as he is a huge liabity as is any dog you cannot trust one hundred percent.

In my village and all around thailand people are bitten daily by dogs who's owners let them wander the streets and beaches. In my view these dogs and their owners are the real issue.

So many people who post on here that dont know what they are talking about. Have you been in consistent contact with one of this breed to make a fair opinion?? probably not.

Alot like people who post on things about Thais and their Thai culture but cant read or even speak Thai and hold a conversation.

Do you even know how Thais treat their fuc_kin dogs??? Beleive it or not, there are lots of pitties in Thailand and this is the first case I heard of. It could even be a case of Rabies, rampid in Thailand and highly contagious.

But an opinion is like an asshol_e,, everyone has one.

Contact? You mean: only believe what you can touch? Come off it -- isn't there "proof" enough with newspaper articles every few weeks of someone mauled or children killed? Every country should put a ban on breeding them (those that haven't done so already), and within one generation, you could add pitbulls and Rottweilers to the list of extinct species. Allowing them is about as stupid as allowing everyone to have their own gun(s)...

Steady on! Plllease don't get your metaphors mixed up! Dogs kill people by themselves...guns are just machines...like aeroplanes and cars :o

pit_bull_terrier.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-04-05

These dogs have been caged for a period of time, well any caged animal will beocome aggressive over time, they are obviously security dogs, that are used during the night periods so what do you expect.

I have these breeds of dogs along with english bull terriers they are great family dogs we have a couple here in phuket and I have had many back home in Australia, which brings me to another questions why does every other country in the world have big problems with these breeds and home is Aus we very rarely hear anything of this nature about attacks.

Anyhow its horrible what happened to the poor lady.

LOL, sorry but you are wrong.

MELBOURNE, March 29, 2001 - Animal welfare groups today called for a ban on pit bull

terriers in Victoria following a report that secret bush camps throughout the state were

being used to breed dogs designed to maim and kill.

Pit bulls are banned in Australia since March 10, 2006

"Legislation and implementation dates varies across the different states, but here is the start of a list of the legislation in the various states: New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia, Queensland, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory, South Australia, Tasmania."

HOWEVER, there is a loophole in the laws that allowed banned breeds such as pit bulls to be registered as a cross-breed.

Here some news I found via google:

September 11, 2005: Family to sue over vicious pit bull attack

Jordan Wisby was attacked by the dog while walking the 400-metre stretch home from his primary school at Illawong, in Sydney's south, in April. Jordan suffered multiple lacerations to his head, throat, left arm and back during the attack.

November 22, 2007: Women nearly killed by Bull Mastiffs

Two bull mastiffs set on Mrs Cotter after she climbed into the backyard of a Mandurah house to tend to a whimpering puppy. When police arrived, she was lying facedown on the ground as the dogs mauled her. Police used a taser stun gun but it only aggravated the animals further.

January 05, 2008: Pitbulls attack woman walking poodle

An elderly Mandurah woman was mauled by an American Staffordshire Bull Terrier in the driveway of her home on Friday night.

Wed Jan 9, 2008: Pit bull attacks boy, 12

A 12-year-old boy has been taken to Royal Darwin Hospital by ambulance after being attacked by a pit bull late this afternoon.

Acting Sergeant Ghulam Abbas says the owners feel bad about the attack.

"It's something that they were never expecting," he said.

"It's like a family dog, been with the family for a long time, and they can't say why this dog has actually attacked the kid.

"There's no apparent reason, it's out of character."

Sun Jan 20, 2008: Escaped pit bulls kill horse

Rangers are investigating an incident in which two pit bull terriers attacked and killed a horse at a property south of Perth.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Australia - Counselor Mike Scarlett, writes an insightful piece after his neighbors witnessed a brutal pit bull attack that killed their donkey.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008: Attack dog nailed by tradie

Australia - A tradesman saved the lives of two women being attacked by a pitbull by shooting it between the eyes with a nail gun. The man said he acted on instinct when he killed the animal, which was attacking a 17-year-old girl and her 43-year-old female relative. He and a partner were working in the area when they heard the cries in the front yard of a home in Greystanes yesterday.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Australia - Three dogs severely mauled a Mareeba man "like he was a pig" yesterday morning. Rescuers say they would have killed him if no one was around to help. The two staffordshire-crosses and the pitbull-cross that attacked him are expected to be destroyed as early as today. The man was walking along Doyle St about 9.45am when the animals jumped a front yard fence and lunged at him.

Interesting here: "People say he attacked your sister, doesn't that change the way you feel about him?' It doesn't change the way I feel," the owner told News Limited. "They only see this attack, they don't know the joy he brought into our lives. For the past 12 months he's been the best and most exciting thing in my life.

Another comment to one of the news I read:

"I believe it is purely instincts. Pit bull attacks in Australia are so bad it is the law that all pit bulls must be muzzled and on a leash in public...I was walking my own dog (3 year old Jack Russell) when a pit bull approached without leash or muzzle. It appeared friendly and its tail was wagging (which is usually the sign the dog is not in an aggressive mood) but within seconds it had locked its jaws on my dogs face...."

Also interesting is this statistics from the US from 2008:

http://www.dogsbite.org/bite-fatalities-2008.htm

"23 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2008. Pit bull type dogs were responsible for 65% (15). Pit bulls make up approximately 2-9% of the U.S. dog population"

"78% of the attacks occurred on owner property and 22% off owner property. ALL off property attacks that resulted in death were attributed to pit bulls."

I think the main reason why these dogs are so much hated and feared my the majority of people is, that they can KILL so easily, they have one of the strongest bites and are known (bred for) not to let go. Every pet owner loves their pet and stands up for it - protects it - I can understand anyone who has a pit bull or the like saying what they are saying - my dog is nice, it depends on the owner, it is a family dog and plays with my children, etc. However, you should have known better before even considering getting such a vicious animal, which is in my point of view NOT a pet. There is no other dog breed in the world that has killed as many children as a pit bull, and that alone is reason enough never to have one.

I researched only Australian news now (as I wanted to see if the claim above was true), but I came across A LOT of news from around the world where a pit bull, bull mastiff, staffordshire (sorry if spelled wrong) etc had killed children and adults as well.

Edited by jbhh

We have 2 pit bulls here in Thailand... they are about 1 year old (brother and sister). I did not want to get them, but the family really wanted them and the puppies were very cute. I put my foot down when they wanted to clip the dog's ears.. how inhumane. We treat them with as much love and respect as any other dog. I don't think they will be a problem, but we do still keep them on chains nearly all the time. So far these dogs are just as friendly as any other... in fact it's our Thai Ridgeback that is the one biting people... and the Siberian Husky has gone to eating the neighbor's chickens.

Newbie 1 - OILMAN13 (4 posts)

Newbie 2 - SUNJUNKIE56 (1 post)

Spot on with this comment.

Newbie 3 - REASON1 (1 post)

Whist being saddened to hear of such an event I believe that a notice should be attached to these and similar dogs for sale: Pit Bulls have been bred from ancient English fighting dogs which were trained to fight other dogs to death and attack Bulls as they can turn dangerous due to inbreeding buy at your own risk!

1 sensible Newbie and 2 idiots.

The ancestors of modern Pit Bulls were indeed English (Celtic). Bull mastiffs (bulldogs) were trained as farm dogs to subdue bulls by grabbing their nose so the farmer could tether them. These bulldogs/bull mastiffs were incredibly strong but relatively immobile so lighter breeds were developed which still had the dogs fighting spirit but were faster.

Variations of the original English mastiff dogs were origionally bred exclusively for one purpose - fighting - and all of the mastiff type breeds of dog we have in the world today- American pit bull, the Spanish Perro de Presa Canario and Alano, the Argentian Dogo, the particularly lethal Japanese Tosa, the French Dogue de Bordeaux, the Cordoba Fighting Dog, the Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, American Bulldog, etc etc are all essentially fighting and attack dogs and have been bred this way for literally centuries.

To suggest that all dogs are nice little wouldn't hurt a fly puppies until something turns them into evil killing monsters by poor training is as naive as it is wrong.

All these dogs are attack dogs, they are killing machines - with good training they (possibly) wont attack and kill their owners and rearers.

Regrettably all too often, they do.

Edited by slim

My condolences to the family and friends of the victims and to the dogs. Dogs are pack animals and without a 'human' leader, such things can happen. In the case of pit bulls, we are talking about dogs that are very powerful animals.

Personally, I think I would get a tiger to guard a compound. I highly doubt that anyone would ever decide to trust it.

We have 2 pit bulls here in Thailand... they are about 1 year old (brother and sister). I did not want to get them, but the family really wanted them and the puppies were very cute. I put my foot down when they wanted to clip the dog's ears.. how inhumane. We treat them with as much love and respect as any other dog. I don't think they will be a problem, but we do still keep them on chains nearly all the time. So far these dogs are just as friendly as any other... in fact it's our Thai Ridgeback that is the one biting people... and the Siberian Husky has gone to eating the neighbor's chickens.

I am not 100% sure now, but I take the chance of saying that most likely some small "harmless" dog breed is responsible for the most dog BITES... the problem with pit bull type of dogs is that they can and do KILL.

Edited by jbhh

Let's see: you have four dogs. One bites people. Another runs freely outside your property and kills other animals. Thank Buddha that you keep your Pit Bulls on chains!

As politely as possible may I suggest:

1. Training is in order

2. Put a wall around your property

I don't know if it is done by coincidence, but the last sentence fails in the news from George.

Original:

Sat, 04 Apr 2009 11:11:56 GMT

Bangkok - A woman who released three pit bull terriers from their cage for the night was pounced on by the dogs who mauled her to death, said police in the central town of Nakhon Sawan Saturday. The woman went out at about midnight Friday to free the dogs who guarded the family house but she did not return, prompting her mother-in-law to go out to investigate.

She found her daughter-in-law, 37, in a terrible state. Nearby was the dead body of a small pet dog.

The terriers then attacked the mother-in-law, a granddaughter, and her son who came out to help. The dead woman's father eventually shot two of the terriers, although the third escaped, reported the Nation.

Thai families living in stand-alone houses often used dogs to deter thieves.

Sorry, but I only know one person killed by a dog, and it was a pit bull.

It was a gentle domestic pet, certainly not trained or mistreated and she knew it well and lived next door to the dog.

Too many people have been killed by this breed to ignore the facts.

They have such a bad record here in Australia and I think all states ban them now.

Funny about that, ---- but not funny at all !!!

My thoughts are very much with the Thai family affected and I cant begin to imagine the terror in the heart of the deceased just before she left us.

The most powerful asset we have is the ability change our thinking, and in this case maybe have a closer at look at the breed and then of course how any breed are treated, weigh it all up and come to a conclusion.

I have come to a conclusion, and I could be wrong in all this, but your EMPHATIC CAPITALS suggest it could be further down the track before your thinking may be open to change.

I wouldnt like any harm to come to you or anyone, and I hope you walk on the other side of the soi to any pit bull terriers in the future.

Future Thai law about pit bulls will most likely be like this

"Every owner of a pit bull is required to have a gun to shoot it in case it bits someone"

Another interesting news I just stumbled upon:

April 4th, 2008: Woman bites pit bull to save her pet pooch!

Melbourne, an American woman saved her pet dog from a pit-bull attack by biting the bull back.

At some point the pit bull’s nose was in my face and I bit it,” the Daily Telegraph quoted Rice, as saying.

Full article: http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/entert...h_10034397.html

Amazing women... proof of the point I was making earlier as to how far people will go tp defend their beloved pets, even if in the case of people owning pit bull type of dogs who simply ignore the potential danger of their "pet".

Edited by jbhh

My condolences to the family.

I believe a Pit Bull is a dangerous breed of animal and like a gun, they can go off if you pull the trigger. I wonder why the guy had a gun and if it was licensed? Thailand would be a lot safer place if there were less dangerous breeds of dogs and less guns.

Pit bulls are absolutely revolting dogs. I have often encountered them in Thailand chained out outside a house straining at the end of the chain to attack me or any other passer by with the stupid owners, who usually have young children, giggling and saying, "He doesn't bite" ha ha. Most look dehydrated and stressed from spending most of their lives chained up or in cages but as Neverdie points out they can go on killing sprees even if they well cared for. Most Thais are ignorant about different breeds of dog and being told by the seller that this is a great guard dog is good enough for them.

I’m fairly shaken now by reading all these horror stories.

Are there any suggestions how to confront a pit bull or any other attacking dog than to bite its nose?

How should someone react to fend them off or to get away?

I’m fairly shaken now by reading all these horror stories.

Are there any suggestions how to confront a pit bull or any other attacking dog than to bite its nose?

How should someone react to fend them off or to get away?

Oh my, please don't ever get the idea of biting an angry dog in the nose, this may work with your own dog if you want to prove you are alpha dog (actually I suggest just biting it's ear then, I would be to afraid it snaps bag right in my face when biting in the nose), anyways I think this was a pure fluke for that lady!

Fighting dogs tend to fight no matter what happens, no matter how hard they get bit or hurt. You can read in many articles what people have tried to stop a dog, here a list of things that failed many times:

umbrellas, wooden sticks, wooden beams, pepper spray, police stun guns ALL did NOT stop pit bulls in rage!!

To be honest, I think the only thing that can stop a dog in rage is pure force/power, you got to be able to pin it down or restrain it somehow. With a full grown pit bull I doubt I could handle it, if it were to go crazy on me, they are so powerful it is truly scary.

Probably the best thing that could happen is to find some sharp object and try to kill it, that is IF it were attacking and there was no way out of the confrontation of course. I love dogs... I just hate/fear vicious ones.